Wax Potting Pickups - A Primer With Photos!

• Thread starter Lane Sparber
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I just wax potted a set of EL34's. Man did that sweeten them up. It lowered the microphonics and now the tubes just sing. Thanks Lane.

:fingersx::lol::fingersx:

MM54

Reaction score
The pickups in my LP, when I tap on the cover, sends a definite pop through the speakers. On my Cort, there's hardly any noise when I tap on the pickups themselves. Think they ought to be potted some time, or is it something totally else?

Landshark

Reaction score
Will this process help to keep feedback down? I realized I removed the cover from my LP bridge pickup some time ago and removed some of the wax (Not knowing what I was doing of course).

Lane Sparber

VIP Member
Reaction score
@ Matt - it might help, but if it's not feeding back and squealing, it might be best not to mess with it.

@Landshark - it could help. Once again, if it's not feeding back, don't mess with it. If it is, pot it! :D

-Lane

carnada

Reaction score
Lane, you are at the top of your game man I swear to god. This was VERY, VERY informative and fun to read. If I used passives I would be tearing them out of my guitar right now to re-pot them cause you made it look like fun to do!

I wish someone would do this stuff for Re-Tubeing, Biasing, Re-Capping (cause I need to do my head :) ), Tremolos, Nut repair, Re-Fretting, Scalloping, and so on. The new guys that come on here ask about this stuff all the time and we (in general as a forum) are constantly answering these questions (and answering these questions from each other all the time for that matter). It would be nice to have a Sticky thread just for tutorials on this kind of stuff.

ADWEX, guys, what do you think? is it too much work or is it something that could be done? :hmm: :fingersx: :)

I know how to adjust tremolos, I can do nut repairs and a bit of scalloping xD.

But seruiously, I really need to know the biasing bs

Spirit

Reaction score
Very nice posting mate- by the way the wax melt machine is used for hair removel, and is applied with a wood stick and peeled off to remove hair growth, short and long, curly or straight! How do i know- I went out with a girl who worked in a beauty shop, man she was smooth! (as a person I mean...........Cough :)!!!!

Lane Sparber

VIP Member
Reaction score
Very nice posting mate- by the way the wax melt machine is used for hair removel, and is applied with a wood stick and peeled off to remove hair growth, short and long, curly or straight! How do i know- I went out with a girl who worked in a beauty shop, man she was smooth! (as a person I mean...........Cough :)!!!!

I think I was better off not knowing! ;) :lol::lol::lol:

cagamp1

Reaction score
Lane great piece. That's wonderful info, especially for those with vintage pickups.

Another great one would be guitar cavity shielding to reduce noise.

Adwex, what constitutes sticky stature?

Lane Sparber

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Cagamp1!

I have some shielding info in my Facebook "Workbench Photos" section. Maybe for the next guitar I have to shied, I'll make another one of these...unless someone else beats me to it! :D

-Lane

MM54

Reaction score
Thanks, Cagamp1!

I have some shielding info in my Facebook "Workbench Photos" section. Maybe for the next guitar I have to shied, I'll make another one of these...unless someone else beats me to it! :D

-Lane

Please do! I'd like to shield my LP but I'm not really sure what/how to go about it... it almost seems like aluminum tape to cover the inside of the chamber with a wire going to ground would be all it takes. Alas, it's probably not that simple :lol:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

man i don't remember how i knew that....i'm not gay nor have i ever worked in a solon....anyway back to Lane. I just had to say man, GREAT job with this. to the point and actualy FUN to watch....and if you can make wax potting a pickup entertaining i would LOVE to see your band perform!:)