Weber Bias Rite Alert!!

• Thread starter Lane Sparber
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Here it their latest statement. I'm going to email them, and see if i can get a replacement unit. Or at least some assurance that my unit wont be damaged with normal usage within their guidelines.

MANUFACTURING NOTE: As Weber re-releases the Bias Rite units, we have upgraded some of the components. However, in order to remain sensitive enough to provide accurate reading, some parts are still very delicate. DO NOT attempt to play your guitar while the Bias Rite adapters are inserted. Doing so may very well cause the current to exceed acceptable tolerance for some of the components and damage the unit. Remember, you are only using the Bias Rite to adjust the IDLE current, which means the current level when no signal is being put through the amp.

Birk

Reaction score
So does it mean it's still safe to use biasrite?
Never had any problems with mine...

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Hey, no offence but can some one be specific here? Other than making the statement "we hate Webber Bias Rite because", who has had a specific failure and what was it?

Rob mentioned that he has had an issue with his Bias Rite failing the smoke test, but has anyone else had an issue? I have tested mine against the 1ohm resistor with a meter and found it to be very accurate, with no issues. And is some one advocating for playing a guitar through an amp while under bias tuning conditions (ie meter or probe still in the amp)???

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, no offence but can some one be specific here? Other than making the statement "we hate Webber Bias Rite because", who has had a specific failure and what was it?

Rob mentioned that he has had an issue with his Bias Rite failing the smoke test, but has anyone else had an issue? I have tested mine against the 1ohm resistor with a meter and found it to be very accurate, with no issues. And is some one advocating for playing a guitar through an amp while under bias tuning conditions (ie meter or probe still in the amp)???

Yeah, I want to see what my amp is doing under load sometimes.

I bought an Amp Head bias probe off eBay years ago, and it's never failed me once. I already had a nice meter and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the Weber stuff.

RobS

Reaction score

When mine smoked I had no guitar plugged in. Just the amp on, vol and pre both on 0 and heard a crackle and saw the smoke rise.
I thought it was the tube but it was definetly the adaptor.
When I emailed Weber I told them that the probe was giving wierd readings prior to it failing. The probe was showing the Pv at 460 one second and then 520 the next so I'm sure that probe was faulty.
I still have the tubes and they are working fine.
I guess using a MMeter and doing the math keeps the brain ticking too so that's a good thing:lol:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
When mine smoked I had no guitar plugged in. Just the amp on, vol and pre both on 0 and heard a crackle and saw the smoke rise.
I thought it was the tube but it was definetly the adaptor.
When I emailed Weber I told them that the probe was giving wierd readings prior to it failing. The probe was showing the Pv at 460 one second and then 520 the next so I'm sure that probe was faulty.
I still have the tubes and they are working fine.
I guess using a MMeter and doing the math keeps the brain ticking too so that's a good thing:lol:

Do you think that your Bias rite may have been damaged another time when you had the guitar plugged in Rob? mine has been used about 10 times and works fine, and i've never had a guitar plugged in while biasing.
Weber should offer a replacement to anyone who has had problems with their product.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Hey Rob and River Rat,

Thanks for the info! I have always been taught not to bias with the guitar plugged in.

And I agree, making your self go through the exercise with a multi meter from time to time, not to mention making sure a tool like a bias meter is still with in tolerance, is important. But I like the convenience of a bias meter as well.

I have used the Bias Rite for a few years now without any problems (not sure on the count, close to 100 times). It's clear that the build is not superior, but I am not dragging it around either.

RobS

Reaction score
Do you think that your Bias rite may have been damaged another time when you had the guitar plugged in Rob? mine has been used about 10 times and works fine, and i've never had a guitar plugged in while biasing.
Weber should offer a replacement to anyone who has had problems with their product.

Aussie, I beleive mine was a genuine fault as I have the BR2 two head probe and probe A failed, probe B still works fine.
When it failed the Vol & pre were both at 0 and no guitar plugged in. Just idling away for about 30minutes to allow for any temp changes.
I was watching TV whilst it was idling, heard a crackle and then saw the smoke signal.

As far as for guitar being plugged in, no.

Rob

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok disgruntled Weber brothers, unfortunately tonight I join the club.

Over the last few months, I've been checking with my Bias Rite but then also with DMM to make sure, and its been fine.
But tonight the crazy readings were here in full bloom.
First a probe read 10 while the other 20. Then I was getting readings around 100 for each probe. The Vp read at 482, then 5 mins later read about 600.

Lucky for us the Techs here put up the warning signs in time.

Has anyone been given a refund on these faulty units yet?

MKB

Reaction score