• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Weeeeird clicks in my 2204

• Thread starter aro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aro

Reaction score
I just got a used 2204 clone and it sounds really good. I had the chassis out and I started playing it through an attenuator.

At some point, as I was playing the Sweet child of mine intro at low (attenuator) volume, I thought I heard a click after every note. I turned down entirely the attenuator volume, meaning no sound through the speaker, and played arpeggios at low medium speed.

After every note there is that slight click... It's not coming through the speakers, it definitely comes from some component on or under the board. I put my ear close to the chassis while playing and it seemed to come from the OT, or choke, or maybe the filter cap next to it. Not sure though...

Does anyone have any ideas :confused::confused:

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
I just got a used 2204 clone and it sounds really good. I had the chassis out and I started playing it through an attenuator.

At some point, as I was playing the Sweet child of mine intro at low (attenuator) volume, I thought I heard a click after every note. I turned down entirely the attenuator volume, meaning no sound through the speaker, and played arpeggios at low medium speed.

After every note there is that slight click... It's not coming through the speakers, it definitely comes from some component on or under the board. I put my ear close to the chassis while playing and it seemed to come from the OT, or choke, or maybe the filter cap next to it. Not sure though...

Does anyone have any ideas :confused::confused:

That's OT ring you're hearing. It's always there, but most of the time the speaker sound is too loud for you to hear it. With the amp cranked and the attenuator at low volume, it drops the volume enough for you to be able to hear it.

Perfectly normal for a cranked amp.

aro

Reaction score
That's OT ring you're hearing. It's always there, but most of the time the speaker sound is too loud for you to hear it. With the amp cranked and the attenuator at low volume, it drops the volume enough for you to be able to hear it.

Perfectly normal for a cranked amp.
Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease :applause:

My other 2204 and another 2203 that I had never had that. Maybe because they had better OTs... Or maybe that had nothing to do with it.... Anyway, thanks again!

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease :applause:

My other 2204 and another 2203 that I had never had that. Maybe because they had better OTs... Or maybe that had nothing to do with it.... Anyway, thanks again!

I'm more willing to bet that it was definitely there on the others, but for some reason you never noticed it.