Weird 70's era SG 2 x 12 cab

• Thread starter MarshallMark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallMark

Reaction score
Got this off Craigslist. Almost like it was built out of one of those cheap footlockers but researched SG on the web and it was a brand of amps and cabs back in the 70's that never took off. Apparently owned by Gibson at one time. Guy I bought it from said one speaker is blown, but I was gonna swap them out for Celestions anyway. Not sure what the original speakers are except they may be Alnico drivers.

Attachments

• cab5.jpg
    cab5.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 31
  • cab3.jpg
    cab3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 24
  • cab6.jpg
    cab6.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 29
  • cab1.jpg
    cab1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 24
  • cab4.jpg
    cab4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 22

george76

Reaction score
unlikely to be a guitar cab with those speakers in it.

look like eminence to me.

they are not guitar cones though. probably for PA.

MarshallMark

Reaction score
unlikely to be a guitar cab with those speakers in it.

look like eminence to me.

they are not guitar cones though. probably for PA.

And if you noticed on the input badge the serial number even has the letters COL in them?! I guess it could have been a vertical PA cab used as a guitar cab. It's pretty sturdy so I'm gonna swap the speakers and use it as a guitar cab anyway.

VanR

Reaction score
I remember those. But know very little about the SG company except they were owned by Gibson.

MarshallMark

Reaction score
Speakers came in and swapped out the old ? speakers for the Veteran 30's at 8 ohm ea. Hooked up both the JVM1C and the DSL5C to the cab. Wow the little JVM really has some thump thru the 2 x 12 with bigger speakers. Also seems to tame the gain on the OD channel just a tad which is a good thing. But then WOW!!!!! the DSL really shines through those speakers! Big, gnarly, growly, and punchy.:shred: Very happy with the tone and they aren't even broken in. Can't wait to see how the EVH head sounds through it when it gets delivered today.

Attachments

• speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 6
  • speaker2.jpg
    speaker2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 5
  • cab16.jpg
    cab16.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5
  • cab15.jpg
    cab15.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 7
  • cab14.jpg
    cab14.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9

Webslinger

Reaction score
unlikely to be a guitar cab with those speakers in it. look like eminence to me. they are not guitar cones though. probably for PA.

The rear jackplate with the "In & Out" would most likely make it a PA cab, as many PA cabs have this feature. If you use it as a guitar cab, it might be a good idea to disconnect the "out" jack. If you or anyone else ever tries to bridge another speaker off it, it will change you load impedance, resulting in problems.

drewbertca

Reaction score
The rear jackplate with the "In & Out" would most likely make it a PA cab, as many PA cabs have this feature. If you use it as a guitar cab, it might be a good idea to disconnect the "out" jack. If you or anyone else ever tries to bridge another speaker off it, it will change you load impedance, resulting in problems.

unless you set the impedance on the amp to match....I have this feature on a couple of my cabs. Added it to an old butchered Traynor cab that has a 15 and a 12 in it and I have a 1x15 with an out. I find it useful to use more drivers,

For instance I have my Garnet "The Deputy" combo, set at 4 ohms with an 8 ohm 12" internal speaker plugged in, and a the Traynor cab (15" +12") at 16 ohms plugged into the ext jack. Then the out (basically a parallel tot he input jack) goes to 2 8 ohm Traynor columns (four 8 inch drivers with wizzer cones) that are in series for a perfect 4 ohm match.

8 ohm internal in parallel with 16 ohm in parallel with two series 8 ohm cabs = 8 ohms in parallel with 16 ohms in parallel with 16 ohms = 8 ohms in parallel with 8 ohms = 4 ohms.....

11 drivers driven by 1 amp and each brings it's own character to the sound. overkill...maybe but it looks mean...and all possible due to the extra out I added to the Traynor cab and a serial speaker cable I made to link the 2 columns....

I say keep the second jack but just be careful what you plug in....

IMG_20140209_115910.jpg

MarshallMark

Reaction score

That's the conclusion I came to- it's a PA cab, although from what I could gather researching it on the web, SG didn't list PA cabs as a product line. I'm just using it as an extension for my baby Marshalls in the house so it won't get plugged in to another cab. But thanks for the heads-up about the impedance because I hadn't thought about that.:yesway:

MarshallMark

Reaction score
unless you set the impedance on the amp to match....I have this feature on a couple of my cabs. Added it to an old butchered Traynor cab that has a 15 and a 12 in it and I have a 1x15 with an out. I find it useful to use more drivers,

For instance I have my Garnet "The Deputy" combo, set at 4 ohms with an 8 ohm 12" internal speaker plugged in, and a the Traynor cab (15" +12") at 16 ohms plugged into the ext jack. Then the out (basically a parallel tot he input jack) goes to 2 8 ohm Traynor columns (four 8 inch drivers with wizzer cones) that are in series for a perfect 4 ohm match.

8 ohm internal in parallel with 16 ohm in parallel with two series 8 ohm cabs = 8 ohms in parallel with 16 ohms in parallel with 16 ohms = 8 ohms in parallel with 8 ohms = 4 ohms.....

11 drivers driven by 1 amp and each brings it's own character to the sound. overkill...maybe but it looks mean...and all possible due to the extra out I added to the Traynor cab and a serial speaker cable I made to link the 2 columns....

I say keep the second jack but just be careful what you plug in....

That's a cool set up you have. Nothing wrong with overkill if it gives you the tone you like. I'll keep the second jack open as I don't plan on connecting anything else.