Weird Gibson J-45 acoustic headstock

• Thread starter The Grim Peeper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Grim Peeper

Reaction score
I just bought a used J-45 from Guitar Center and I noticed a couple things on the headstock that look a little weird the serial number and made USA stamp are very faint and there’s these weird different small odd sheen squares near the serial number and the Gibson logo. So take a look.

Attachments

• IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 48

The Grim Peeper

Reaction score
I apologize for the reflection. Without it the indentation is impossible to see. The stamps are also too faint for my cam to pick up.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I just bought a used J-45 from Guitar Center and I noticed a couple things on the headstock that look a little weird the serial number and made USA stamp are very faint and there’s these weird different small odd sheen squares near the serial number and the Gibson logo. So take a look.
I'd love to help ya there, Mr. Grim Reaper guy, but we hath need of more pics, and better ones at that. Where are "these weird different small odd sheen squares near the serial number and the Gibson logo", of which you speak?

Otherwise, IDKWTF you've got there beside a normal logo, a reflecting light, and some fingerprints. Also, consider wiping off that headstock with a soft cloth and warm water.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I bet ya they left a clip on tuner for years, they're made of plastic that disintegrates over time. My clip on tuner is kept in a guitar case and it's all sticky like it's decomposing. This I suppose can damage Gibson's delicate finish. My theory not based on any facts...

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Mike, where'd you get a Saratoga guitar? I live up near Saratoga. There are no guitar makers there, only a horse racing track.
I got it searching for a Dan Electro 12 string, really great instrument for well under $400.
Though a Sanatoga not a Saratoga . . .
According to John Backlund (of Backlund Guitars)
Sanatoga was the Chinese-made house brand of an east coast company called Musicland Central.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
This is what I'm seeing on my PC.
Ha! A little sharpie and you're good to go . . .

https://Reverb(dot)com/item/80255629-sanatoga-12-string-late-90s-early-2000s-emerald-green

i783kst40ox0bv0h202m.jpg

ff1z4owbew4zfq3wlime.jpg

Mike_LA

Reaction score
I had a Rickenbacker 381MG and the Sanatoga is waaaay easier to play.
Nice wide neck as opposed to the Ric
.PICT0025_smaller.jpg

Last edited:

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I bet ya they left a clip on tuner for years, they're made of plastic that disintegrates over time. My clip on tuner is kept in a guitar case and it's all sticky like it's decomposing. This I suppose can damage Gibson's delicate finish. My theory not based on any facts...
Is it made out of that soft touch crap where it's plastic but feels kind of soft and velvety? I stopped buying anything plastic that has that soft touch feature many years ago. Anything and everything that had it turned all sticky over the years and there's no getting rid of it. I've never experienced it with any other plastic. I think it's just some weird super thin coating on the plastic. I hate the stuff and would advise anybody to avoid buying anything they plan on keeping for a long while or valuable to avoid it and look for something else without it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Is it made out of that soft touch crap where it's plastic but feels kind of soft and velvety? I stopped buying anything plastic that has that soft touch feature many years ago. Anything and everything that had it turned all sticky over the years and there's no getting rid of it. I've never experienced it with any other plastic. I think it's just some weird super thin coating on the plastic. I hate the stuff and would advise anybody to avoid buying anything they plan on keeping for a long while or valuable to avoid it and look for something else without it.
Its a cheap $15 Snark tuner, the body is hard plastic and the clip has soft foam, it's about 6-8 years old and the whole thing is sticky like it's decomposing. It stays in my guitar case when not in use.