• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Western Electric considering adding more tubes to their current USA production

• Thread starter EADGBE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gutch220

Reaction score
I think they will be good. They know if they try to pass off some inferior product, guitarists will NOT oblige them. There will be backlash.
If they are going to do this, do it right.

EADGBE

Reaction score
The pro-audio brand tells Guitar.com how it plans to bring US-made guitar amp tubes back – and why it doesn’t want to charge a premium for doing so. Yay!
xbGq1VJ.gif

https://guitar.com/features/intervi...c-confirms-plans-tube-georgia-factory-crisis/

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Their idea for pricing for new tubes made for guitar amps is imo a bit nebulous.

The company sites labor rates that are higher in the U.S. than countries like Russia and China. The company also sites material of higher quality, which causes the company spokesperson to say, "so the price will be higher."

Later, the spokesperson goes on to say they won't take advantage and charge an "absurd premium" for new tubes.

Sorry, but I remain a little skeptical. My definition of terms like "absurd" may not agree with theirs. If the spokesperson had been a little more specific in some kind of comparison (i.e. throw some numbers around), then I might have a little more faith. As a result, I'm gonna hold off buying from Western Electric until 1) a reputable reviewer does a shoot-out between Western Electric's forthcoming offerings versus what I've been able to get on the market, 2) their pricing is posted, and 3) their warranty/return/exchange policy is also posted.

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I just saw this on TGP and knew they would get a massive response from the guitar community.

I'll pay more for a U.S. made tube within reason and remain loyal to WE if the product lives up to U.S. tube quality. I've never had a vintage U.S. made tube fail on me in nearly 20 years of playing guitar and owning tube amps. Foreign/current production tubes? I've had many failures and most were usually within a year of replacement. My expectation of a current production power tube is that it could fail anywhere between 1 to 3 years... If they can guarantee 5 years like the 300B and the price is reasonable considering, I think that is a steller value.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Y‘all didn‘t even read the article. They’re tooling up now. They’re modernizing the process. It’s happening and it’s not going to be super expensive.
Yeah I'm so confused, the response I'm seeing after the announcement is a lot different than when the poll was introduced.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I like it. Wouldnt buy, because they
will probably be very pricey in Euroland,
but more competition for JJ EHX and PRC
means these companies cant jack the prices
too much.

10kDA

Reaction score
"Along with better reliability, we hope to offer a super low-noise, low-distortion, and consistent product people can trust. Our goal has always been to make the best electron tubes in the world."

Hey WE - don't make the audiophile-smug mistake of thinking you know better than we do re: what we want our tubes to sound like. If your "low distortion" EL34s are characterless, you probably won't sell many after the initial curiosity bump. Contrary to perception, some people roll tubes to get a particular level of grit and dirt rather than pristine flawless reproduction.

Just because a new manufacturer appears in the market is no guarantee they will be doing it right. If my Marshall doesn't need tubes for 5 years but sounds like a Twin Reverb, i've gained reliability and lost everything I want about the Marshall.

jeffb

Reaction score
Good to hear. I will wait on some reviews (outside the yootoob influencers) once they become available to see if the tonez are up to snuff. I've no doubt they can make a great hi fi tube, but this is a new ball game for them.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I will buy them . Not worried , most of current tubes are nothing like NOS tubes but it does make me wonder if the process was under the radar in the 60’s. Not sure at what point they Started the EPA.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Check this out
old telefunken tube plant once a thriving company . I finally translated it.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have customers who have been in the habit of fully retubing their gigging amps every year whether they need it or not.
In fact I just had one of those customers a few days ago. He had his stash of changed-out tubes with him and for fun we tested them.
Every one of the power tubes met rated specifications. None would qualify as "worn" by performance. So he's got spares for years.

Tube prices WILL go up. No matter what. No matter where they come from. So people will want to run their tubes longer.

Being a realist, I'd still have tube amps and retube them AS NECESSARY if preamp tubes were 50 bucks each and power tubes were 100 dollars each.
At the rate I go through tubes, which is very slowly, I'd be able to afford it.