What About Peavey

• Thread starter J E H
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J E H

Reaction score
Do we like PEAVEY gear?
They used to make some pretty good boards
bass amps look good

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Do we like PEAVEY gear?
They used to make some pretty good boards
bass amps look good

I started with a Peavy Backstage combo as a first amp back in 1982, everybody had Peavey when I was growing up, never saw Marshall and saw Fender just every so often, Peavey was it. What has Peavey done lately?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Moved all amplifier production to China.

Gotta do what you gotta do to keep up with your competition. Are they making anything here? Hand wired yadda yadda ...

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Gotta do what you gotta do to keep up with your competition. Are they making anything here? Hand wired yadda yadda ...

They were basically forced to move production, to stay in business. They were driven to this by China companies that are dumping goods into the market at ridiculous low prices.
The difference being that Peavey supports customers and companies in China by and large do not...but people who buy these goods don't recognize the difference.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah, I keep a bass combo in the van just because
Pretty indestructible

This is my 1st "rig" as it sits in my living room today....TKO 80 , it actually isnt bad for guitar with a DOD 250 on it

I got this Pacer pawn shoppin in Nebraska a couple years ago. One of my best friends,now departed , had one as teens. It was the neighborhood whore amp. The funny thing is ,we mucked it up so much with Distortion +'s back then ,that we didn't know the actual tone that was hiding within. Killer Made In USA 1970's construction w/casters & cover

Those silver stripe Peaveys were somethin else

A fan in Cleveland who brings me carcasses n stuff ,mailed me this broken Classic 20 awhile back,as a challenge .Kind of a pain in the ass to work on ,but not bad once you get it runnin . Still tweakin it .Hope to have it "van ready" soon.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Peavey Bandit 65 was my first amp, back in like '82 or '83 or somewhere thereabouts. I think it had a 12" Scorpion. Either that or a Black Widow.

I saw on in GC one time when I went in to buy some strings or something. Almost bought it right then & there just for nostalgic purposes. Brought back memories just looking at it.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Peavey Bandit 1 x 12 / Designed in U.S.A. / Made In China.
Really good sounding SS amp and with pedals dynonite.
Know some prog players that swear by the Peavey Butcher.
BP

J E H

Reaction score
PV mark III bassamp head - purchased in 1987
been played a lot - sounds good - still going -- transistor type amp

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Ive still got a made in the USA, Peavey 212 Classic Chorus that rocks!
I purchased it brand new in 1995 !

Coronado

Reaction score
I have some pretty high gain amps, but I don't own a Peavey yet. I had not played a Peavey amp in so long, just didn't think much of them I guess. I plugged into a Peavey 6505 not that long ago and was friggin BLOWN AWAY by how badass this amp is. Incredible, thick gain, amazingly responsive... And with very little feedback/squeal for an amp with that much gain. 6505 is definitely going to be a purchase. Seriously just cant decide between a full size head, combo, or the 6505 MH (20 watts, I think? 25?). They all sound amazing.

anitoli

Reaction score
Their 4x12's can be had pretty cheap and they are built tough as nails. If you don't like the cones swap em with ones you do and no one would be able to tell without seeing it that it's not a Marshall or other brand cab.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
PV mark III bassamp head - purchased in 1987
been played a lot - sounds good - still going -- transistor type amp

Used to keep one of those in the van ,in case the SVT went down
Ended up giving it to a friend who needed a bass rig