What About Peavey

• Thread starter J E H
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Coronado

Reaction score
My old block letter 5150 still kicks 9 out of 10 amps out my door!

Man, I heard that! There is one at Sam Ash in Dallas right now and I'd really like to snatch it up before someone grabs it. Cant decide between the 6105 and a 5105 - they are very close from what I understand?

J E H

Reaction score
a guuitar player in a band I was in in early 80'2 had a PV MACE/. -- 100 watt - I think
extremely great sounding piece of gear great for clean or distorted
I wish I had that amp Another time -- another place

CraigP

Reaction score
I had a Bandit 65, Renown 400(?), Backstage and still have the Audition Chorus. Great stuff back in the day and built solid. We had lots of fun playing through PV monitors and PA stacks also. And Lord, those CS800 power amps! We would run 4 of them and two Crown 1200 for a club that was 300 capacity! :scream:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Awesome peavey heads:
The butcher. Old school one channel does one thing, does it very well and loud as hell, you can run 4 4x12s on one. They did a remake never checked one out.

VTM. JCM800 competitor

Triumph. Smaller form factor, sat on a vertical 2x12

I may grab some again for nostalgia’s sake.

CraigP

Reaction score
And a Century head that I used on top of a ported PV 212 cab. I could really get the Led out with that rig.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Do we like PEAVEY gear?
They used to make some pretty good boards
bass amps look good

Second choice to Marshall for a few years. They made a few butt-kicking maps for those who couldn't afford a Marshall back in the day. Today they have some incredibly impressive amps for chump change.

Peavey might not be my first choice...
actually, in some cases they are my first choice.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 6505 mini head that I got for chump change. Great sounding little monster! I actually prefered it over the mesa mini rec 25 I had, and for like 1/4 the price. I Still have the 6505mh..the Mesas long gone.
Imo The old Peavey stuff from the 70s and early 80s is some of the most durable stuff out there. And if you have a problem with anything no matter how old the Peavey customer service is very helpful..thats huge.I still have a xr500 mixer amp and 2 of the 115 cabs that I run with my drum machine/ backing tracks, and both are still working like new.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Practically every band i was in and many of my friends back in the day had PV 24 channel mixers & PA/power amps/speakers. They were decent but not cheap in price.
I had a PV Rockmaster Preamp/Power amp rig years ago, kindof a one trick pony. When i got out of the Military in 1982' and got back into guitar i bought a Back stage amp that a guy had run Bass through, it sounded crappy but i was glad to have it, shortly after that i bought my first Marshall JMP 2204 for $375 and never looked back.

I almost bought a 100 watt all tube Heritage 2x12 combo from a friend but glad i didn't.
Those amps that had "Parametric EQ's" with concentric pots were pretty much useless and hard to get a good sound out of in my experience.

I have had a couple friends that had 5150 amps that sounded good by themselves but got lost in the mix in a band setting.

In the 70's almost every Country Band on TV/Hee Haw ect played PV amps including Chet Atkins.

However i think Hartley Peavey's Company is just a shell of what it once was and i don't take his products seriously or relevant today.

Last edited:

anitoli

Reaction score
I have a 6505 mini head that I got for chump change. Great sounding little monster! I actually prefered it over the mesa mini rec 25 I had, and for like 1/4 the price. I Still have the 6505mh..the Mesas long gone.
Imo The old Peavey stuff from the 70s and early 80s is some of the most durable stuff out there. And if you have a problem with anything no matter how old the Peavey customer service is very helpful..thats huge.I still have a xr500 mixer amp and 2 of the 115 cabs that I run with my drum machine/ backing tracks, and both are still working like new.
I agree, their customer service is very good. I have never had issues getting a schematic from them or any info on some of the proprietary chips that are in some of these amps.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Today, there's too many to count, but "back then", it seemed like pretty much Fender, Marshall, and Peavey were The Big Three. I guess Crate was in there too to some extent. At least that's what it seemed like to me.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
You can call 601 483 5365 I memorized that number since I was 17.
They will get you any part or schematic you need, and they will let you talk to the techs too.
That's the difference between a company that doesn't give a shit....and one that does.

J E H

Reaction score
I really wish I still had these:
PV MACE
PV Butcher stack
They got away

J E H

Reaction score
Actually, I never could stomach the old BANDIT thing -- sounded like a little transistor radio.
I really do like:
Butcher
Mace
Heritage
Most of the bass amps

Easton55

Reaction score
Peavey Bandit 65 was my first amp, back in like '82 or '83 or somewhere thereabouts. I think it had a 12" Scorpion. Either that or a Black Widow.

I saw on in GC one time when I went in to buy some strings or something. Almost bought it right then & there just for nostalgic purposes. Brought back memories just looking at it.

Was a Scorpion. I still have mine. Was one of the first 65s' made in 82. Traded off my Decade on it, that thing too for a 10watt was a loud little box, lol.

80sTone

Reaction score
There is a recent thread in other amps forum on the 5150 you might want to refer to as well...My 5150 Block I have mixed feelings - never could get a decent clean out of it personally but it growls really well. Tried (but don't own) the classic and bandits - did not do much for me.

drolaw

Reaction score
First amp was a PV Rage.

Learned some songs and saved to buy a PV Bandit.

Learned more songs, joined a band, saved up some money, and bought the PV 5150.

I still have my PV 5150 but I always wanted a Marshall. After going through two TSL 's and 1 DSL I ended up selling them and later buying a Jubilee. (Hands down my favorite amp).

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Peavey make incredible maps. Since the Classic series was released, I gained a respect that never left me. Until then, they certainly had an obvious uphill struggle in the arena. But that's all behind them now.