What amp do I want???

• Thread starter Adam D'Agosto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam D'Agosto

Reaction score
Hi all, question for you guys who knows a lot about the different types of Marshall amps.

I really, really like the sound of the Super Lead 100 (Helix model and ToneX Captures). But I primarily love to clean tone for blues. I tend not to play a lot of high gain stuff and let's face it, using a Super Lead below a gain setting of 4.5 is illegal in some States (or it should be) 😀

Anyway, can someone recommend a Marshall amp that has that Super Lead kinda clean tone but one that does not get into to high gain territory? One that's not as loud? Maybe one that specializes in the low gain, edge of breakup blues sorta happy place?

Thoughts,
Thanks!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with @scozz , lots of Marshalls stay fairly clean if you don't put the spurs to 'em.
You want a plexi style amp that's not too loud, I say the SV20 is about as not too loud as you'll get.
Although from what I've read here, it can get crazy loud itself.
A little more budget friendly option is an Origin.
I have 2 of them and think they're a great single channel clean-ish Marshall.

TheKman76

Reaction score
I tend not to play a lot of high gain stuff and let's face it, using a Super Lead below a gain setting of 4.5 is illegal in some States (or it should be) 😀

Pffft! Convention be damned! Marshalls do some of the best clean sounds. Use them however they make you happy.

That said, if I were looking for a clean/blues amp I'd be looking squarely at something JTM inspired. Should probably budget for an attenuator though.

Crikey

Reaction score
Hi all, question for you guys who knows a lot about the different types of Marshall amps.

I really, really like the sound of the Super Lead 100 (Helix model and ToneX Captures). But I primarily love to clean tone for blues. I tend not to play a lot of high gain stuff and let's face it, using a Super Lead below a gain setting of 4.5 is illegal in some States (or it should be) 😀

Anyway, can someone recommend a Marshall amp that has that Super Lead kinda clean tone but one that does not get into to high gain territory? One that's not as loud? Maybe one that specializes in the low gain, edge of breakup blues sorta happy place?

Thoughts,
Thanks!
1987x plexi
If you dial your guitar volume back it cleans up sparkly, great for blues

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

Thoughts,
Thanks!
Another vote for the Origin. I like my 20C so much that I got a 20H and 2x12 cab. I've owned a DSL40CR, DSL100HR (with a 4x12 cabinet), and an SV20C, which I was unable to tame, even with an attenuator. But I sold them all and couldn't be happier with the Origin amps. They take pedals out front really well, so if you want something a bit dirty you could throw a Boss Blues Driver or Super Overdrive out front. Works a treat and loads of MFers do it.

Adam D'Agosto

Reaction score
This is awesome feedback. Thank you so much. The Origin line sounds like a great option. Same with the JTM45. I really like those amp models and captures. I do agree with others that an attenuator is necessary for my use at least...the Fryette Power Station is the logical choice. I have a Vox AC30 and it's stupid loud.

79 2203

Reaction score
Any Lead spec 1959/87, 2203/4, SC/SV20 will clean up beautifully with the guitar vol, especially if the Vol or Preamp is set around 11-2 o’clock. The bright cap will still be effective at that setting and that’s a huge part of guitar vol cleanup.
Of course you’ll need some actual vol to make that work so you can’t use too much attenuation or MV.
Even my stock Super Bass cleans up great and is less gainy/aggressive overall so maybe a Bass spec clone or JTM45 or ST20 might be more your thing. Very bluesy in the rolled down cleans and even with the guitar vol on full.

In any case, I set my amps(Super Bass, stock 71 1987 and 79 2203) for much the same medium crunch and IMO that’s where classic Marshalls really shine. You get the iconic crunch that still responds to pick attack and guitar vol manipulation for awesome cleans, plus they take boosts better than most.

Attachments

• 707947D9-04E1-42C7-97B8-141DA70BABA9.jpeg
    707947D9-04E1-42C7-97B8-141DA70BABA9.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 10

Adam D'Agosto

Reaction score
Any Lead spec 1959/87, 2203/4, SC/SV20 will clean up beautifully with the guitar vol, especially if the Vol or Preamp is set around 11-2 o’clock. The bright cap will still be effective at that setting and that’s a huge part of guitar vol cleanup.
Of course you’ll need some actual vol to make that work so you can’t use too much attenuation or MV.
Even my stock Super Bass cleans up great and is less gainy/aggressive overall so maybe a Bass spec clone or JTM45 or ST20 might be more your thing. Very bluesy in the rolled down cleans and even with the guitar vol on full.

In any case, I set my amps(Super Bass, stock 71 1987 and 79 2203) for much the same medium crunch and IMO that’s where classic Marshalls really shine. You get the iconic crunch that still responds to pick attack and guitar vol manipulation for awesome cleans, plus they take boosts better than most.
Great feedback. So the way I see it I have two options without spending $3+grand.
1. Build a super Lead/Super Bass amp (difficult and fun and a complete PITA. Could be great)
2. Get the Origin 50 or 20. I tried the 20 at GC once and had some trouble getting a good sound out of it. It wasn't inspiring. Probably just me and not being familiar with it and I always feel self-conscious getting the amp into the sweet spot. That's my personal problem....

I'll try again!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Origin. I like my 20C so much that I got a 20H and 2x12 cab. I've owned a DSL40CR, DSL100HR (with a 4x12 cabinet), and an SV20C, which I was unable to tame, even with an attenuator. But I sold them all and couldn't be happier with the Origin amps. They take pedals out front really well, so if you want something a bit dirty you could throw a Boss Blues Driver or Super Overdrive out front. Works a treat and loads of MFers do it.
I’m a little curious about why you were not happy with the SV20 attenuated?