What amp do I want???

• Thread starter Adam D'Agosto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
………It was suggested here on this thread to get the "

JHS Little Black Amp Box Passive Amp Attenuator".​

I just ordered one to try it out. We'll see how that goes.​

It’s been mentioned in one other post but I just want to reiterate, the LBB is not an attenuator. An attenuator is placed between the amplifier and the speaker, a LBB goes in the loop and acts as a master volume.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
LBB goes in the loop and acts as a master volume.
I have not tried a vol pot (LBB) in an effects loop before. If this works great, why would anyone ever need anything else to attenuate volume on any amp with a loop?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not tried a vol pot (LBB) in an effects loop before. If this works great, why would anyone ever need anything else to attenuate volume on any amp with a loop?
I have an LBB in the loop on my JTM45.
It knocks down the preamp signal in the loop before hitting the power section.
I use it to keep the output cleaner, not to try to attenuate a hard driven amp.

To me it's closer to rolling off the guitar volume to keep the amp clean, than using an attenuator on a full amp signal going to the speaker(s).
If you want lower volume native overdrive tone from a single channel amp, I'm not sure this is the best solution.
Might work better on high gain amps that get most of their drive from the preamp, but they're usually MV amps anyway.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I use it to keep the output cleaner, not to try to attenuate a hard driven amp.

To me it's closer to rolling off the guitar volume to keep the amp clean, than using an attenuator on a full amp signal going to the speaker(s).
When I use a master volume I am trying to get a more overdriven sound at lower volume, I thought that’s how all people used master volumes?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I use a master volume I am trying to get a more overdriven sound at lower volume, I thought that’s how all people used master volumes?
I was trying to say, IMO the LBB is not going to make a NMV into a MV.
For me, when I put it in the loop, it's more like rolling off guitar volume on a NMV.
Just my observations with a JTM45, and I had similar results with it in the O20H loop.
I don't think you're going to "get a more overdriven sound at lower volume" - YMMV.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I was trying to say, IMO the LBB is not going to make a NMV into a MV.
For me, when I put it in the loop, it's more like rolling off guitar volume on a NMV.
Just my observations with a JTM45, and I had similar results with it in the O20H loop.
I don't think you're going to "get a more overdriven sound at lower volume" - YMMV.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess I don’’t see the benefit then—can’t you just use your guitar volume instead and not deal with the pedal in the loop?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I guess I don’’t see the benefit then—can’t you just use your guitar volume instead and not deal with the pedal in the loop?
There are some differences between guitar volume and the LBB in the loop.
But more like EQ out front vs. in the loop.
I never got results with the LBB that were anything like attenuating the amp speaker output.
Never tried it with an SLP, 2204 or SV20, so I can't speak to results with those amps.
If you don't have one, I'd suggest considering trying one out if you get the chance.

Like I said, I like it in the loop of my JTM45 to add a little oomph to the channel volumes and tame the signal back a bit in the loop.
For me, it actually gets me a little more clean volume before the amp starts to overdrive.
I think it also helps control the ass end on that amp when I put the spurs to it.
It just adds another dimension to what the amp can do.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
T
The FX loop usually comes after the tone stack and before the phase inverter. So by using something like the LBB, you're just reducing the signal level into the PI, but the earlier gain stages are still in play. So it's different than rolling back the guitar volume in the sense you're still driving your gain stages harder. But it's more like a pre-phase inverter MV. Not really as good as the popular PPIMV which is post phase inverter. IMHO. I've tried both in Marshall amps and prefer it post. But it's sort of personal preference, some like pre.

BTW from what I've seen the LBB is literally just a volume pot wired to the jacks - nothing wrong with that... it costs about the same as the parts. But it's not doing any magic equalization or filtering.

nasticanasta

Reaction score
Hi all, question for you guys who knows a lot about the different types of Marshall amps.

I really, really like the sound of the Super Lead 100 (Helix model and ToneX Captures). But I primarily love to clean tone for blues. I tend not to play a lot of high gain stuff and let's face it, using a Super Lead below a gain setting of 4.5 is illegal in some States (or it should be) 😀

Anyway, can someone recommend a Marshall amp that has that Super Lead kinda clean tone but one that does not get into to high gain territory? One that's not as loud? Maybe one that specializes in the low gain, edge of breakup blues sorta happy place?

Thoughts,
Thanks!
Take advisebut then do you’re homework, what works for one may not work for you

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
The tone was just too brittle for my liking. I guess I'm just not (gasp!) a fan of the "plexi" sound. My preference is for something a bit more mellow. Also, I didn't like having to use an attenuator. I know, first-world problem! But I could never get it dialed in to sound the way I wanted it to and am willing to own that maybe it was me and not the amp.
Must admit I like my amp’s bright aggressive and lean in the low’s , but everything is subjective 👍

Adam D'Agosto

Reaction score
So this thread really digressed!!

To recap the consensus:
--No matter what, I should get the F$@&KING DSL
--I think the SC20 is my Marshall amp to get. After research all the various suggestions, I think that one suits me the best when also considering price. Sure, the JTM45 might be ideal....I'm not going to shell out that kind of money. The SV20 is bad enough!!
-- I did buy the LBB and it works pretty well on the AC30.

The LBB does a good job. Nothing crazy, but for $65, it actually makes my Top Boost channel usable at home volume with my wife around. After trying it out I then dug out my TC Spark Boost pedal. That's a very low cost and very excellent pedal. But I never tried it in the loop as the LBB is used. It work probably just as well as the LBB maybe even a bit better on sound AND also offers other features which is kinda cool. All told I'll keep the LBB because it's ultra simple, doesn't need power and I can do what someone else in the thread suggested, velcro it to the back of the amp.

Anyway, I've got to say, this thread really turned into a wealth of great info. Thank you all for your opinions.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well it doesn’t work that great, not even close to a decent attenuator imo, but some guys swear by it. :shrug:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yeah, well it doesn’t work that great, not even close to a decent attenuator imo, but some guys swear by it. :shrug:
Put any volume control in the loop, same thing. But it won't attenuate, no. If amp has a MV ghennit is pointless completely.

OP, just make it simple and get one of each. Amp. All of them.
:applause:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
So this thread really digressed!!

To recap the consensus:
--I think the SC20 is my Marshall amp to get. After research all the various suggestions, I think that one suits me the best when also considering price. Sure, the JTM45 might be ideal....I'm not going to shell out that kind of money. The SV20 is bad enough!!
-- I did buy the LBB and it works pretty well on the AC30.

The LBB does a good job. Nothing crazy, but for $65, it actually makes my Top Boost channel usable at home volume with my wife around. After trying it out I then dug out my TC Spark Boost pedal. That's a very low cost and very excellent pedal. But I never tried it in the loop as the LBB is used. It work probably just as well as the LBB maybe even a bit better on sound AND also offers other features which is kinda cool. All told I'll keep the LBB because it's ultra simple, doesn't need power and I can do what someone else in the thread suggested, velcro it to the back of the amp.

Anyway, I've got to say, this thread really turned into a wealth of great info. Thank you all for your opinions.
Bite the bullet and get a Friedman , a dirty Shirley mini sounds right up your street . No attenuator or pedals required for killer vintage Marshall tones at home friendly volumes .

giblesp

Reaction score
Factor in cab/head vs combo also. Only way is to try both really.

Check out the Jubilee studio, my JVM certainly does and would go into the sounds you want. My DSL 401 would also go there, but I'd put a Maxon tubescreamer in the chain. Very nice for low gain.

Bear in mind that with digital modulers, you are hearing a recreation of a miked cab. An actual amp in the room may sound completely different.

Crikey

Reaction score
Yeah for sure....I do that with my Vox AC30 on the Top Boost channel. But, still it's a pain.

I really think I just need to bite the bullet and get the Fryette Power Station. Then, it won't matter how loud the future Marshall amp is....the Super Lead that started this thread is not such a problem...but if course the cost of one is. I really think the Origin is the way to go. Just need to try the 50 out as well as the 20 again.
That AC 30 screams. Axe me how i know

tallcoolone

Reaction score
To recap the consensus:
--I think the SC20 is my Marshall amp to get
Just my opinion, I have had a half dozen DSLs and still have the SC and SV. I also bought the SC first just b/c it has the master but since I got the SV it’s pretty much gone untouched. The SV is the amp you want brutha.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
This is awesome feedback. Thank you so much. The Origin line sounds like a great option. Same with the JTM45. I really like those amp models and captures. I do agree with others that an attenuator is necessary for my use at least...the Fryette Power Station is the logical choice. I have a Vox AC30 and it's stupid loud.
hmmm, i love my ac30 for what you seem to want to do. I should get an ox box too though.