What are your favorite 6V6 tubes?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_G

Reaction score
I had great experience with original RCA (US made) 6V6's. After that, Sylvania and GT's (rebranded) and in more recent times JJ and Ruby did the job for a variety of tubes in general. I recently got a pair of Electro-Harmonix branded 6V6's and so far, so good. But they aren't time-tested enough for me to really feel confident in recomendng them.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So my Raytheon 6V6s came today and swapped them out with the JJs. It seems they might be a little more musical (sweeter/smoother) in the top end and a little less as thick in the bottom end compared to the JJs, but overall not very much of a noticeable difference. I guess the JJs were ok, but these sound a tad nicer so I'm glad I got them. :)

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW @fitz , that boomy bass I talked about at the beginning of this thread when you asked me those questions, I took that Canadian Mallard out of the PI and the boomy bass went away. I guess I put that in there the same time I swapped the power tubes and just wasn't thinking about the pres anymore so I blamed it on the power tube swap. That tube sounds good in my SC20, but not so much in this amp.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW @fitz , that boomy bass I talked about at the beginning of this thread when you asked me those questions, I took that Canadian Mallard out of the PI and the boomy bass went away. I guess I put that in there the same time I swapped the power tubes and just wasn't thinking about the pres anymore so I blamed it on the power tube swap. That tube sounds good in my SC20, but not so much in this amp.
You've got a unique amp there Steve.
My NMV amps tend to react more to different tubes than my MV's
Even when I have an idea to try a certain tube in a certain place, while I'm in there I usually try a bunch of different tubes to see what works best.
Sometimes something I know I didn't like the last time, now seems to work because I changed speakers since then.
Like cooking and throwing in whatever you have till it tastes good.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
You've got a unique amp there Steve.
My NMV amps tend to react more to different tubes than my MV's
Even when I have an idea to try a certain tube in a certain place, while I'm in there I usually try a bunch of different tubes to see what works best.
Sometimes something I know I didn't like the last time, now seems to work because I changed speakers since then.
Like cooking and throwing in whatever you have till it tastes good.
Yeah, this amp is very sensitive to tubes, way more than thought before I started trying to get it up and running again. I played this amp for 10 years and never questioned the tubes once I put in what Marty recommended (out of the tubes he sent me) when I first built it. Of course I never suspected I had a power tube dying when I finally started to roll preamp tubes to see if that was the issue. Right now it sounds better than it ever has!

Wildeman

Reaction score
I've mostly just used JJ's in my Haze15 and never had an issue with them.
Only other 6V6 amp I had was the Egnater Rebel that had both 6V6 & EL84 with a blend knob for either-or and in between (also all JJ).

Still have the stock Shuguang 6V6GT's from the Haze that I took out a long time ago.
Black glass wide base Marshall VLVE-00038. (if you're interested)

Are you looking for brighter / darker, or tighter / looser kind of thing, or are you concerned with longevity / reliability?
Might be hard to guess how your custom amp will react to different brands.
My Haze 15 still has its stock Shugs, still kicks ass too. I have lots of 6V6s too, from new JJs to old RCAs and GEe, never felt like changing them though.

johan.b

Reaction score
I know I'm in minority here, but I have a pair of JAN RCA VT-107 wich is the JAN designation for metal sleeve 6v6 and they just have that "something" and are tough as nails.. I also have a pair of modern JJs which I think sound as good a most older 6v6's... my least favorit is the black glass etched with "made in USSR" from the 90's... often rebranded as GE or Fender..just meh...
There are a few sets of NOS glas such as raytheon but I never plugged them in.
J

TassieViking

Reaction score
Under Downunder Where The Devils Roam At Night
I recently bought a Joyo 6V6 tube online from a music shop because the price was nearly half of what everyone else wanted for a 6V6 tube.
When I got the tube it had TAD stamped on it as well which I am hoping means Tube Amp Doctor.
It's for a single ended amp I am going to make for myself to use with stomp boxes at home.( RobRobinette amp and Sushi Box pedals)