What Bias Setting Sounds Better A Or B ?

• Thread starter Neil S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bias
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Why would I change speakers or settings?
The recordings were all done in the same session without touching the amp apart from the bias controls.
There are no prizes or penalties
Here. I have my own opinions about this and am interested in everyone else's.
Let's try not to belittle others who are commenting or who have been brave enough to have a go before knowing the facts.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Right on man!!! Nice bias demo :applause::yesway::yesway:

tschrama

Reaction score
havent had time for a propper listening yet.. k(got kids this week) but will do and contribute my own series of bias recordings

Neil S

Reaction score
havent had time for a propper listening yet.. k(got kids this week) but will do and contribute my own series of bias recordings

Don't rush.
I just had a free weekend so did it all at once.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Why would I change speakers or settings?
The recordings were all done in the same session without touching the amp apart from the bias controls.
There are no prizes or penalties
Here. I have my own opinions about this and am interested in everyone else's.
Let's try not to belittle others who are commenting or who have been brave enough to have a go before knowing the facts.
Thanks for everyone's input.
I am not belittlinging ing. I mean I hear it but everyone's hearing is different. I just hope their ears and hearing are ok or ok enough.

I am sticking with the CREEP on the higher bias side.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Done!
4 bars per step 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. Preamp distortion then same for clean.
No effects, EQ or compression, all tracks and master fader are free of any plugins.

Volume setting was only low as it was 3.30 am when I finished. About 1 on the DSL green crunch setting for the distorted tone and green clean for the clean. still fairly loud but you can hear me hitting the strings. It doesn't stop you from hearing a difference in each step though I can't hear much on the clean sound.

JCM 2000 DSL100
Mullard reissue EL34 Valves.
Sorry, apart from this information I can't add any comments about the valves being early break up or what the rating might be as I don't know.

I think I liked the 30 setting best listening with my Bose headphones. 35 was good too. But Where I was hearing the most difference was at the beginning of the riff where you are coming down into the A with the open strings (G) underneath. That is where I heard most separation.

I thought I heard a bit of sizzle and fizz at the two highets settings.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I made this short song for the Marshall Forum using the chords I used in the bias test above.
It's the "Marshall Forum Bias Creep"

Can anyone tell what bias setting I settled on with the DSL ?

Nice one.

I liked the percussive pick undertones (down under man, not over tones lol) I was hearing on your heavy turn around in E. The same string attack I hear Page do on Moby Dick.

I will go with 30 setting.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
The hard work you did (that few would) clearly illustrates that 1) six or seven mA does make a difference and 2) In a live mix it’s too subtle for most people to know what it is they are hearing.

I do a similar experiment every time I bias, but never recorded it. It really stands out when you record and A/B a few times. Thanks for doing the tracks.

Neil S

Reaction score
Nice one.

I liked the percussive pick undertones (down under man, not over tones lol) I was hearing on your heavy turn around in E. The same string attack I hear Page do on Moby Dick.

I will go with 30 setting.
Undertones, Ha Ha :) If the string attack sounds OK then I have the first 30ms of a 3 hour show all sorted.
I would have liked to hear how much difference there was from 15mA as from 25 - 30 was a big difference I thought, then it tapered off. I couldn't get any lower than 25.

Last edited:

Neil S

Reaction score
The hard work you did (that few would) clearly illustrates that 1) six or seven mA does make a difference and 2) In a live mix it’s too subtle for most people to know what it is they are hearing.

I do a similar experiment every time I bias, but never recorded it. It really stands out when you record and A/B a few times. Thanks for doing the tracks.

Thanks, it was a bit of work. I was up all night and finished off the next afternoon.

spacerocker

Reaction score
Great work!

I found I couldn't hear much difference between steps, but jumping from, say first sample to last, or middle to either end, the difference was apparent.

I preferred the 35/40mV settings, with perhaps 45 being a bit too much (probably stressing the valve too!). I liked the "sizzle" in the higher settings! Equated to more "chime" in the clean tones too!....

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
^^^ That is more of what I am hearing.

I believe it is a preference depending on your playing and loudness. All in all though it nothing a good EQ cannot do 100 times better. It can however still be employed as a means to an end result.

Iwanarock

Reaction score
I liked "B" better it sounded more alive to me. They are similar however

dro

Reaction score
Listened to the track . Both A and B sound good . But the real question is which do you prefer?

Neil S

Reaction score
I dont think there is enough difference to decide either way really. If I heard either track with 30 seconds gap between them I wouldn't know what one I was listening to.

GT08

Reaction score
Yet more excellent test/demo's well done Neil.
I have always thought people on this site make too much of an issue regarding bias and your tests prove it for me.
For me a multimeter and being ABLE TO PLAY is really all you need.
I bias to the recommended value and vary from this as I wish...…..It's the sound that matters the most.
Again, well done!
Rock n' roll

Neil S

Reaction score
Yet more excellent test/demo's well done Neil.
I have always thought people on this site make too much of an issue regarding bias and your tests prove it for me.
For me a multimeter and being ABLE TO PLAY is really all you need.
I bias to the recommended value and vary from this as I wish...…..It's the sound that matters the most.
Again, well done!
Rock n' roll

Thanks! just having a few people appreciate the effort makes it worth while.

Neil S

Reaction score
The bias I settled on with the DSL was smack in the middle of the range. Some thought it was on the high end and some thought it was on the low end so I suppose every one was close with this one.
Thanks to everyone for checking this out.:thumb:

dslman

Reaction score
I didn't read the entire post , but I did guess the cooler bias, and actually like the grind and bark it had. I run mine about 68% bias , so I could kinda pick it out easy.
Not bragging, just saying..I think :)
Enjoyed the clip , cool thread!