• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

what is most important

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whats more important?

• a good guitar w/cheap amp

• a good amp w/cheap guitar

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Even if I try to whittle it down to a dire minimalist choice, without quality examples of both in my possession I would just rather cross over to the mandolin and forget about playing guitar altogether

For everyone else, logic would dictate that you can't play your best with a cheap guitar, so you might as well get a good one and skimp on the amp if you have to.

BTW - here's a banana coin.
bananacoin.001.gif

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
Smart a$$ remark would be good cheap guitar AND good cheap amp. However, I'm no smart a$$, so I say good guitar. That is the instrument I am playing, holding in my hand.
I can live with the cheap amp, at least for some time (done that some periods).

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good amp - no question.
I think it's easier to make a cheap guitar sound good, than it is to make a cheap amp sound any better.
I'd take my Hondo into the 6101, over my LP into the Crate - Any day.

Last edited:

TheToneDig

Reaction score
Amp but there is a major addition needed. The cheap guitar must be set up properly. If it's cheap and not set up properly then the cheap amp option is the way to go with an expensive guitar. However, even expensive guitars sometimes need proper setup. Meaning the full works, frets are level, intonation etc.

A well-setup guitar on a cheap amp will crush any bad setup guitar on a good amp all day long.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Cheap meaning what? Do I get to work on the guitar or swap a speaker?
FWIW, my original answer was based on the notion that, No.

Because, (and it stands to reason that), if the guitar or amp in question is cheap, but then you start including all the upgrades you could do to it, well then it's no longer a "cheap" guitar or amp, which negates the entire point of the original question.

C-Grin

Reaction score
FWIW, my original answer was based on the notion that, No.

Because, (and it stands to reason that), if the guitar or amp in question is cheap, but then you start including all the upgrades you could do to it, well then it's no longer a "cheap" guitar or amp, which negates the entire point of the original question.

OK fair enough, but....
lets just say for arguments sake I could buy a used crate Flexwave 15 for 25$ (which I did ) and put a used WGS speaker I got for 25$ would that be cheap? if I took a Epi lp special p90 which actually sounds pretty good and slide a 6$ set of magnets it the pups would that still be cheap?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK fair enough, but....
lets just say for arguments sake I could buy a used crate Flexwave 15 for 25$ (which I did ) and put a used WGS speaker I got for 25$ would that be cheap? if I took a Epi lp special p90 which actually sounds pretty good and slide a 6$ set of magnets it the pups would that still be cheap?
OK, lets put this in perspective:
Would you rather play a $5000 Custom Shop LP through your $50 modded Crate, or your Epi w/ $6 magnets through a $5000 JCM800 2203/1960A-B stack?
I'm going Epi & 2203, all day.