• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

what is most important

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whats more important?

• a good guitar w/cheap amp

• a good amp w/cheap guitar

Results are only viewable after voting.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I agree that more times than not it's going to be a really good amp with a cheap-ish guitar.

With a really good/great amp that produces a sound you are happy with right out of the box, you won't have to spend too much time, money, and effort getting something really good out of it (your only significant cost would probably tubes).

With an amp that doesn't really have a good/great sound (or at least a sound that you kinda like), then you might end up spending a lot of time, money, and effort getting it to sound the way you want (usually by way of a modification(s) to the amp).

A cheap-ish guitar can still have some great qualities right out of the box, such as great sustain and great neck. With a cheap-ish guitar (at least as defined by the current market), the most you'd have to do is change some pickups, work the nut a little, work the bridge saddles a little, do a little setup/adjustment for your playing style. Most of these details won't cost you too much, and some people have these tools and spare parts put away somewhere, which would take some of the time, money and effort a little less stressful.

I've used my 410H with a variety of "cheap" guitars (I love it when paired with an Epiphone Les Paul standard) that gives me some really treat tones. ESP LTD's, Squiers, Epiphones, Ibanez all have "cheap" guitars can sound great through my amp. Some of these don't need any adjustment, changes, modifications at all.

Do what works for you and go be happy with it.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good amp .....and good amp doesn't mean $$$$$ either . Done plenty gigs with a Lead 12 .
An amp that delivers "the tone" , whatever it is

Once again EVH , showed everyone that a little knowledge of some basic guitar mechanics is all ya need.
I don't HAVE to play a bolt on Sino Les Paul , but if it's set up to where no one really knows the difference , why not ?

Deftone

Reaction score
the value of the dollar then and now.

Considered.

'79 JMP 2203 at $400 in 2000 should be $619.73 in 2021.

Early 70's Deluxe at $325 in 1982 should be $901.53 in 2021

Late 50's LP jr. at $1500 in 2010 should be $1811.19 in 2021.

https://www.inflationtool.com/us-dollar/2000-to-present-value?amount=400

It's Market Demand that has driven the price up way beyond inflation. Les Pauls were far less popular in the 80's and therefore were much less expensive. Marshall's were far less popular in the 90's and therefore were much less expensive.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Considered.

It's Market Demand that has driven the price up way beyond inflation. Les Pauls were far less popular in the 80's and therefore were much less expensive. Marshall's were far less popular in the 90's and therefore were much less expensive.

see vin's example.

GregM

Reaction score
Considered.

I think that's an unfair comparison, your talking used prices at a point in time it wasn't vintage or more rare.
I think if you started with prices as new at time of release it is a much more fair comparison.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would normally think that a cheap guitar is of no use.

But I developed an affectionate relationship with a cheap Tele copy from China.

It's probably an unhealthy relationship.

But what am I to do? The neck is so comfy. It's fun to play it. Guitar works well into the desk with one cheap pedal.

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
I had to really think on this one...I’ll take a good amp. I’ve played cheap guitars so long as it stays in tune I’m good

Latest posts