What is the best system to install on a Floyd rose to make it dive only.

• Thread starter Dave47857
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dave47857

Reaction score
I have a Floyd rose guitar I would like to make it dive only trem what is the best way to do this a trem block a trem stabilizer or tremolono

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I've done a few methods, and you'll probably have to experiment to see what works best for you. I've glued a block of wood in, tried the door latch trick, and many years ago I tried a Tremsetter and hated it.

I always liked the more solid feel of a blocked trem. But on the flip side, I never liked the stiffer-feeling bar that comes from having to tighten the springs.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend a Tremol-no. I have glued a small wood block on a couple of guitars - it’s easy, costs nothing and it works great.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
IMHO it's best to just leave it floating and buy another guitar with a non recessed, decked Floyd. I'd keep the recessed one of course and not get rid of it. I wouldn't be gluing any wood in since that can end up being permanent and or damage the guitar trying to remove it whenever the time comes. IMHO none of the gadgets are worth buying and installing and if I ever bought a guitar with any of them in it, they would be removed immediately. All just my opinion and what I would personally do.

JSJ900

Reaction score
Maybe not the best, but the coolest IMHO….

1705870285687.jpeg

I tried a Tremel-NO and didn’t like it. I have the door-latch on a cheap Strat copy and that’s cool ‘cause you can engage and disengage it, but it’s not perfect. I have a little shim of wood between the trem block and cavity on another guitar, and that method’s probably best. The quarter on EVH’s guitar is the coolest in a don’t give a damn way!

Thevenin

Reaction score
I have two 1984 Floyds with Tremel-nos. They're set up for dive only and work perfectly. Stays in tune after dives.

Resident 217

Reaction score
My only question is "Why?".
Leave it be and only dive if that is all you want.
Maybe because when you bend it goes up out of tune. Im not sure but I used a stop to solve that and it sort of worked.
Best thing about that system is they stay in tune specially if you just use it like an old time bigsby like I did ha ha .

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Maybe because when you bend it goes up out of tune. Im not sure but I used a stop to solve that and it sort of worked.
Best thing about that system is they stay in tune specially if you just use it like an old time bigsby like I did ha ha .
Then you either got a bad or a cheap Floyd.
None of mine ever had any issues and I could carry my guitar by the bar.

JSJ900

Reaction score
Break a string on a floating Floyd and the other 5 strings will be out of tune.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I prefer the small block of wood. I use that on my evh Frankie rather than decking it to the surface of the body. On that guitar if I screw the Floyd all the way down or tilt it back a smidge so it rests on the body (dive only) there won’t be enough room for d-tuna to work correctly.
Can’t have trem floating and a d-tuna obviously so some system of blocking pull up has to be used.

Resident 217

Reaction score
Then you either got a bad or a cheap Floyd.
None of mine ever had any issues and I could carry my guitar by the bar.
I meant bending the strings when your not using the bar. I have an original model.

Deftone

Reaction score
I just bought and installed one of these...

s-l1600.webp

$20. Seems to be working good so far. Easily removed if I don't want it.

Resident 217

Reaction score
Again, was never an issue for me.
If it is a real original then something is wrong with it.
I did have to sharpen the knife edges once on one of my Floyds. (knife edge = pivot point edge)
Really?Curious! Not a real floyd person I did like the way it stayed in tune and easy to keep it that way once its settled.
I had the last set of strings on there forover a year.
I had it able to go both ways with about 3-5 mils from the top. 3 springs and quite low.
The guitar had no route pocket for the body just straight 80's style.
It wasn't that big an issue with me either as I don't bend a lot but oh well doesn't matter.

I parted that guitar out it a few months ago and was going to try and sell it.
It's chrome and has the r4 nut and all SS screws and tuner buttons string tree.
Not an old one but nice, I think from around 2009-11 sometime I can remember.
I might post it on here although I see its mostly just amps and guitars.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Really?Curious! Not a real floyd person I did like the way it stayed in tune and easy to keep it that way once its settled.
I had the last set of strings on there forover a year.
I had it able to go both ways with about 3-5 mils from the top. 3 springs and quite low.
The guitar had no route pocket for the body just straight 80's style.
It wasn't that big an issue with me either as I don't bend a lot but oh well doesn't matter.

I parted that guitar out it a few months ago and was going to try and sell it.
It's chrome and has the r4 nut and all SS screws and tuner buttons string tree.
Not an old one but nice, I think from around 2009-11 sometime I can remember.
I might post it on here although I see its mostly just amps and guitars.
I had several guitars with original type Floyd or Floyd licensed tremolo.
That included Ibanez and ESP, later 80's and early 90's.
One of them, from what I recall, was twitching and loosing tuning when strings were bent or whammyy was used (in a heavier manner).
Well of course it aggravated me so naturally I took things apart to investigate. All else was fine and what I found is that the pivot edge on one side was a bit rounded out and not like others which is why I called it a "knife edge" since the others were well more sharp like a knife.
I got a hold of a fine rounded file and started to work the edge. Once I got it sharp again, more like the others, I put it back together and that was it. It needs those fine "knife edges" to be able to find its way back to center, in tune, in the groove on the stud.

Original type or good Floyds use better materials/metals. That definitely makes a difference. Do not skimp.

Once a good Floyd is setup correctly it stays in tune forever, bending or whammying, until another issue arises.

Things do wear over time. I learn to fix when broken.
I also had to fix, replace bearings and reset Steinberger Transtrems.

It is or was all fun and a learning experience.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Again, was never an issue for me.
If it is a real original then something is wrong with it.
I did have to sharpen the knife edges once on one of my Floyds. (knife edge = pivot point edge)
By the sheer nature of them, when one bends strings the springs (if not set real tight) extend and the bridge drops thus lowering the pitch of all the strings a bit. Seems like the nature of the beast.
I just bought and installed one of these...

s-l1600.webp

$20. Seems to be working good so far. Easily removed if I don't want it.
Looks good!

Resident 217

Reaction score
I had several guitars with original type Floyd or Floyd licensed tremolo.
That included Ibanez and ESP, later 80's and early 90's.
One of them, from what I recall, was twitching and loosing tuning when strings were bent or whammyy was used (in a heavier manner).
Well of course it aggravated me so naturally I took things apart to investigate. All else was fine and what I found is that the pivot edge on one side was a bit rounded out and not like others which is why I called it a "knife edge" since the others were well more sharp like a knife.
I got a hold of a fine rounded file and started to work the edge. Once I got it sharp again, more like the others, I put it back together and that was it. It needs those fine "knife edges" to be able to find its way back to center, in tune, in the groove on the stud.

Original type or good Floyds use better materials/metals. That definitely makes a difference. Do not skimp.

Once a good Floyd is setup correctly it stays in tune forever, bending or whammying, until another issue arises.

Things do wear over time. I learn to fix when broken.
I also had to fix, replace bearings and reset Steinberger Transtrems.

It is or was all fun and a learning experience.
Mine always stayed in tune with using the bar or bending the guitar would resume its tuning.
Very stable.
What I am speaking about is the tuned accuracy of bent notes.
If you bend a note on a LP for example and then do the same on the
Floyd equipped guitar the bridge moves causing the note to detune as the string pulls against the springs.

Latest posts