What is your Number One?

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dave47857

Reaction score
My no.1 is a heavily modified Gibson Les Paul standard. I bought it in 03 and it has seen it all. It has had major surgery done over the years and it has helped me to learn so much. It’s been a great one.

speyfly

Reaction score
My #1 is always the guitar that is the most comfortable in my hands. I've never been the type that needs a different guitar for a different song or genre, I use the same guitar for everything I play.
I totally agree with the comfort in one's hands thing. The BT Tele was the one I pulled of the wall tonight. It has such a chill feel to it, the neck's like butter, never found another one like it.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Don't really have a number 1, too many choices and different tools for difterent jobs.

Likely my favorite partly due to familiarity is my 1978 Goya L6-S copy I have owned since new. Never really had more than 2 gigging guitars from then until 2005.
It doesn't cover everything so I have more.

uHDzsBS.jpg

ve24JkY.png

Likely one that has had quite a lot of playtime the last 8 years or so is the Mockingbird. Covers tons of ground.

j8wthJN.jpg

FirqsuO.jpg

My Prestige was one of the first extra axes I got min 2007. Love it too and it saw lots of action.

ZJN4H7c.jpg

bX0ELV1.jpg

Finally, all my LPs but a favpritemof those would be the 1960 Reissue. Just a stellar guitar.

Th8DyYG.jpg

gks2c4v.jpg

That top is amazing on the LP!

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
My different guitars have a different feel and tone.
The two I like best are kinda mid-ground in the range of what I have.
But some of my guitars (and amps) just work and sound better for playing certain tunes.

I don't think my own playing ineptitude contributes to my preferences, but I think playing different guitars helps me learn to play better.
An HH tele with AlNiCo II pups can cover a lot of ground, so I'm not surprised it would be easy to get comfortable with.
Perhaps you just need more guitars to make sure it's really your favorite? :D

This is legit. I mean if you don't play a lot of guitars...you'll never know what your favorite is.

nortiks

Reaction score
Anything that has spot on intonation, good action, and tonally works for the set list... I used to have I think 15 at one point that fit this description, but fortunately that number has dropped to 5 electrics and 3 acoustics. I'd love to make it even a smaller number to get back my closet space lol. But my two kids each get one of my Collings acoustics and one of my Gretschs, and I need a Paul and a Strat around no matter what, and I like my Danelectro 12 string electric and my classical acoustic, so looks like I can't shrink the herd any further at this point. All to say, there is no number one since they are each number one within the shrinking herd for what they do (other than the identical Collings I have so I can grab an alternate tuning on stage).

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
No question, my number 1 is my 2007 R8 Les Paul Standard VOS. The Custom Shop guys at Gibson hand carved a SUPER SWEET neck on this baby, and it plays and feels tremendous. It has a pretty special sound, too.

I have 4 other electrics, and I love them all, but my Les Paul Standard is the one. I had a couple of PRS single cuts which I thought I loved...then I played this Gibson. Somehow, those gorgeous flamed PRS guitars found their way out the door. The Gibson had a sound that the PRS guitars just couldn't match. It hits me in my soul.

And of course, the sweet little SC20 stack, sitting in there for good measure... They sound great together!

IMG_2821.jpg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'd have to say it's the one in my avatar. I built it in 2012.

It's my personalized reinterpretation of a certain PRS model. I started with their design and changed it in certain ways that appealed to me. And it was entirely successful. Except that the perfect blue stain on the top has now faded dramatically, almost faded away entirely. I actually plan to refinish it and get that color back, only with better dyes that are lightfast.

56673.jpg

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Although it changes over time, here are my two current faves… One is 2022 Les Paul 50’s Standard - pretty heavy, wonderful neck and fit/finish, and it has such a nice vintage sound. The other is a 2023 Jackson American Series Soloist - such a great guitar, and not just for metal. The neck action and playability are stellar, and the pickups, including the JB which I normally don’t like, sound perfect in it.

And they both go great with a Marshall! :naughty:
IMG_5004.jpeg

Last edited:

JJ119

Reaction score
Although it changes over time, here are my two current faves… One is 2022 Les Paul 50’s Standard - pretty heavy, wonderful neck and fit/finish, and it has such a nice vintage sound. The other is a 2023 Jackson American Series Soloist - such a great guitar, and not just for metal. The neck action and playability are stellar, and the pickups, including the JB which I normally don’t like, sound perfect in it.

And they both go great with a Marshall! :naughty:
View attachment 146587

Great looking guitars!
It's good to hear you like the
American Series Soloist.

Resident 217

Reaction score
I finally got the new body for my #1 Godzilla 27" Baritone which Ive had for a few years.
The old Tiesco bass body was getting the worse for wear with all the hacks I did.
A lutierr freind of mine made a body from Mahogany. A bit heavy but sounds good and solid when it gets down Low. Its good to go now if I ever get around to making the cover plates...maybe one day.
After all the pickup constellations and listening to various set ups, I went back to the original single BKP Ragnorok under the old Tiesco cover.
It is the most useful. The wrap around is off someones PRS I got ofCL.
I finished it with water lacquer and then rubbed it out with Mothers wheel polish. Ity's even better now. Which is always good when using it everyday. I installed everything and did the set up. The wiring was a prewire off the net.
godzilla1.jpggodzziiilllla.jpg

Latest posts