What OD for JCM 800, and how to a driven amp with a boost for solo

Boss SD-1 or Boss SD-1 Waza

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with pedecamp. If you can't try them all, or if you can only take a couple at a time, go with the Tubescreamer and the RAT. If you're asking what to buy, the Boss SD-1 is a great choice. Like others have said, you're likely not going to get a volume boost out of your JCM800 unless you install a FX loop and put a clean boost in it, or use a re-amping loadbox or attenuator with footswitchable level.

Mathias Karlsson

Reaction score
Theres 2 ways to get a volume lead boost on your amp, install an effects loop or use a foot switchable attenuator. From your list I like the Rat and the Tubescreamer.

And what if i use a EQ but that is always on with a 5-10db cut until i need a boost and the turn it off?

Or would that suck out the signal to the amp?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you recommend the original DS-1 or the DS-1 Waza?
SD-1 (Super Overdrive), not DS-1 (Distortion).
I have the SD-1 and it will do the clean boost and/or a nice mid gain crunch on my O20H.
Never tried the Waza variant, so I'm not sure of what it's capable of.
I've also never tried a tubes creamer, but as usual, because I keep reading about it here, I ordered a clone (Demon-Fx) on Friday and should have it in about a week...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
And what if i use a EQ but that is always on with a 5-10db cut until i need a boost and the turn it off?

Or would that suck out the signal to the amp?
It will work but your tone will suffer.

How many watts is your amp 50 or 100?

Mathias Karlsson

Reaction score
SD-1 (Super Overdrive), not DS-1 (Distortion).
I have the SD-1 and it will do the clean boost and/or a nice mid gain crunch on my O20H.
Never tried the Waza variant, so I'm not sure of what it's capable of.
I've also never tried a tubes creamer, but as usual, because I keep reading about it here, I ordered a clone (Demon-Fx) on Friday and should have it in about a week...

Haha sorry my bad i always get confused with boss pedal names. Of course i was talkong about the SD-1 :p

Maybe i should try to get my hands on a SD-1 to try it. So many that talk about it.
I want it as a ”always on” pedal for rythm guitar. So if it can push the amp, give some more distortion, well then i’m happy.
But i am going to try the Tubescreamer and the rat tomorrow to see how it feels.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe i should try to get my hands on a SD-1 to try it. So many that talk about it.
I want it as a ”always on” pedal for rythm guitar. So if it can push the amp, give some more distortion, well then i’m happy.
But i am going to try the Tubescreamer and the rat tomorrow to see how it feels.
The SD-1 is relatively inexpensive at $50 ($35-ish used).
I've heard the SD-1 and Tube Screamer are very similar as a clean boost.
Here's a recent thread by @Guitarjon comparing the two on a DSL50.
DSL50, to boost or not to boost? | MarshallForum.com
I do have a Rat (on loan to my son).
Completely different tone, and not sure how/if it even works as a clean boost.

Mathias Karlsson

Reaction score
I
The SD-1 is relatively inexpensive at $50 ($35-ish used).
I've heard the SD-1 and Tube Screamer are very similar as a clean boost.
Here's a recent thread by @Guitarjon comparing the two on a DSL50.
DSL50, to boost or not to boost? | MarshallForum.com
I do have a Rat (on loan to my son).
Completely different tone, and not sure how/if it even works as a clean boost.

I think you can use it as a boost. Distortion maybe at 7-8 o’clock just before pedal distortion. Tone around 11? And crank the volume

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It’s a 50watt
JCM 800 Model 2204 i think
Perfect! Get a Bad Cat Unleash. This is your solution, read up on it if you're not familiar.

You wont need any od pedals, you'll be able to crank the amp while controling volume and get plenty of gain. Plus 2 volumes. And an effects loop if you need it.

Last edited:

houseofrock

Reaction score
I would use an eq for your boost. Off, the signal goes straight into your amp. Your rhythm sound. On, you can boost the signal a little and also adjust the EQ so it cuts through the mix. Your lead sound.
Just so we know what sound you are looking for what bands are you calling punk.
Through the decades the term "punk" has been used to call many bands that are not truly punk.
Example: Sex Pistols, Fear, Dead Kennedy's, Ramones are what I call punk.
Green Day, Blink 182 are not. That I would call (punk) pop.

Last edited:

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Not if you know how to use them.

Gary Moore in his heyday- 2203s and a DS1 on the floor. Jump to 42 seconds.

How could I forget about him ? But yeah, stating "a DS-1 won't sound good" as if it was an established fact is massively wrong.
Hell, at one point Reb Beach was using a Metal Zone as his boost, and sounded amazing. Lots of players were using a rack parametric EQ (the fabled Furman PQ3) as their boost at one point and sounding incredible.
It's all so rig and player dependent that pretty much anything can be made to work. It's art, not science nor sports.

TheToneDig

Reaction score
I have a JCM 800 and now i have some pedals on my radar to push my amp for more distortion. I play fast rythm punk music.
No punk rock or pop or that kind of stuff.

I was thinking that maybe i could even stack 2 pedals for more push into the amp but then it feels like the amp is at max, and i would really like to boost in some way for minor solos or riffs that needs to stand out.

You play punk so the answer is whatever pedal you can steal more easily. Same for guitar and amp.

jking'

The Boss SD-1 is the go-to OD for the JCM800 and used as a boost.

For your 2nd pedal, don't bother with another OD. Get an EQ instead. Boost or subtract your frequencies. Because you are punk I recommend Danelectro Fish & Chips but I would recommend that anyway. The only drawback is that it is plastic but is every it as good and maybe better than some EQ pedals.

The only other advice I can give you is that should liquid come flying your direction making contact then immediately drop your guitar and stand back until someone solves that potential problem.

Mathias Karlsson

Reaction score
I would use an eq for your boost. Off, the signal goes straight into your amp. Your rhythm sound. On, you can boost the signal a little and also adjust the EQ so it cuts through the mix. Your lead sound.
Through the decades the term "punk" has been used to call many bands that are not truly punk.

I hear you, there are many subgenres to punk music but i

These are 2 bands from sweden that play punk that i like

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I hear you, there are many subgenres to punk music but i

These are 2 bands from sweden that play punk that i like

Thats old school punk sounding, I like it! You should be able to get that tone straight out of a cranked Marshall no pedals required! If youre sure you have a 50 watt amp (2 power tubes) get a Bad Cat Unleash.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I have a JCM 800 and now i have some pedals on my radar to push my amp for more distortion. I play fast rythm punk music.
No punk rock or pop or that kind of stuff.

I was thinking that maybe i could even stack 2 pedals for more push into the amp but then it feels like the amp is at max, and i would really like to boost in some way for minor solos or riffs that needs to stand out.
(No i have NO fx-loop and only 1 channel)

These are the pedals i have to chose from:
Digitech DOD FX40-B
Zvex Super Hard On
ProCo Turbo Rat
Boss DS-1
Catalinbread SFT
Ibanez Tubescreamer (Analogman silver mod)

What do you think would be the best setup for a nice rythmsound with ampdistortion and clarity, but if possible also have to option to boost the tone some DB.

one pedal to drive the amp and one for solo boost

This setup will be for live use.

Kind regards!

Ok. First of all, get a Legendary Tones V2 Evo to add another gain stage to your 800. That should give you enough distortion to play mean rhythm without the need for a boost pedal. Then buy a Standard Boss SD-1 new or used, they are cheap and sound great with the 800. Engage pedal for addtional cut when soloing. Done!

Why do I know this? I have the 800, the HotMod V2 and the SD-1. It works like a charm.

@David Szabados does the HotMod and maybe he can chime in.

Check this out:

Hope that helps. Cheers!