What Overdrive pedals do you use on the clean channel?

• Thread starter Darrenw5094
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
I knew this thread wasn't for you.:lol:

6101, JVM and a few others have a channel with NO overdrive.

wrong... those are in fact the channels containing the sweetest overdrive.... but if it's still clean it isn't set loud enough :naughty:

sometimes i like to do this with my JVM..
clean green... reverb off, loop off, master dimed, gain dimed...
there you go... plexi mode :dude:

Ken

Reaction score
I have an Ibanez Tube Screamer; I forget which model. I tried them all and bought the one I liked best. It's a very subtle effect; more of a gain boost than anything else. When I put the gain on 2 on the green (DSL) channel (crunch off), it gives a JCM 800 kind of vibe. On the red channel it really doesn't do much as there's so much gain already, but if I want feedback it fills that It's GREAT tool to have, especially for vintage type tones, because it enhances an already great amp as opposed to stepping all over what makes a DSL great to begin with.

Ken

Stymie13

Reaction score
Depending on what type of sound I'm after:

Guyatone OD2

DOD 7 band EQ/Boost

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Blackstar HT-Dual on clean setting with the volume up. Kicks the yellow channel of my 6100 into sweet valve crunchies. Tubes into tubes are where it's at.

Is this the pedal? I am really thinking of picking one up so I want to be sure.
Thx

longfxukxnhair-albums-guitars-picture2056-557433.jpg

jerryjg

Reaction score
Absolutely NONE.
pedal = transistor device = lack of dynamics
no pedal = valve overdrive = the tone we all want.

Best pedal is (for vintage crunch) master volume on 10!

Rediculous. I use ( at different times) an Ibanez Ts-808 "tubescreamer" and a Boss OD-1 and Marshall Shredmaster.

Birk

Reaction score
None of my two Marshalls has a clean channel. (jtm45ri, 2061)
For boost/overdrive I use Catalinbread Chilli Picoso or a TS-7.

On the 65 Lil' Elvis, I'll just hit the bump footswitch.

pinto79

Reaction score
I use a Tonebone Plexitube into the clean channel of my 6100 for full-on metal tones. Normally I use a modded TS7 or SD-1 or similar OD into Channel 2.

merkin4theman

Reaction score
I use the DS-1 for leads on my Class 5 when I am playing it at lower volumes. It doesn't sound as bad as people make it out to be, and serves the purpose. I am considering the Keeley mod though, as it does lose quite a bit of the mojo the Class 5 has without it.
I was using the same setup for pratice (Class5 & Keeley DS-1), it sounded awesome

Bieling3

Reaction score
Before I got a Marshall I used a Digitech TL-2 Metal Distortion. Now the only thing I use on the clean channel is a modded Big Muff for my fuzz tones. Of course trying to make people understand there is a difference between distortion and fuzz around here is like repeatedly crashing your skull into a brick wall. Also, unlike previously noted in this thread, a good overdrive (I use a Analogman Boss SD-1) shouldn't mess with dynamics... I haven't met a Marshall yet that couldn't use a good kick in the pants from an SD-1.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i'll fart around with my bad monkey sometimes but, i generaly won't use one on the clean channel. i really only use one as a volume/signal boost. i don't care what it consists of though as long as it's a nice sound.

kebek

Reaction score
99% no OD or Distortion pedals... all Marshall tone... if i need a boost i use my original vintage OD DOD 250

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
great let's necropost again!!!!

ok... OD pedals on clean channel... i used a boss bluesdriver, overdrive/distortion and the dreaded metal zone
these days i'm running no pedals anymore on the JVM...
by the way..
satriani indeed used al lot of pedals into a clean 6100, but these days he's using the JVM's own distortions for the most

Absolutely NONE.
pedal = transistor device = lack of dynamics
no pedal = valve overdrive = the tone we all want.

like the JMP-1 you have? :D

Rob Harpum

Reaction score
I bought a carl martin plexitone and hate it to death .I have just rediscovered my old marshall guvnor mk1 which i use on a just breaking up VOX AC30 cc2x with a squier vintage vibe 50s . Sounds amazing