What Speakers Are in These Laney Cabinets? (Tony Iommi 1974-1975)

• Thread starter ReWind James
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ReWind James

Reaction score
There are photos and videos of Black Sabbath playing US dates in 1974 and 1975 (also later) that show Tony Iommi's Laney cabs outfitted with some aluminum dust cap speakers. Geezer seems to also have similar speakers in his cabs around the same time.

I've seen Audiom 12P-Gs with Aluminum dust caps but I think they were from several years later than 1974. I've only seen one Laney cab elsewhere with aluminum dust cap speakers. It was a later Klipp model cab and I can't say for sure the speakers were even original.

I really like Tony's sound in this era, at the end of when he was still playing Monkey. It was noticeably crisper and tighter than his earlier sound, with the typical all black drivers and stock P-90s, and also brighter than his sound right after, in 1976 or so, when he started playing the black SG with the cross inlays.

Does anyone know what speakers they are?

2d7b5f400de9b0e91aca1a58ff21ff99.jpg

5d7c7b55094aece9fd0d884859052aea.jpg

tumblr_ox4stjXvZ01v87n74o1_1280.jpg

iu

GvAiPszutv4.jpg

LoudStroud

Reaction score
There were G12H-30’s w aluminum dust caps during that period as well. But don’t think the were that large. Leaning towards @Resident 217 ‘s hunch above.

ReWind James

Reaction score
There were G12H-30’s w aluminum dust caps during that period as well. But don’t think the were that large. Leaning towards @Resident 217 ‘s hunch above.

I'm pretty sure both the Fane and Celestion options that came with aluminum dust caps were small and / or had black dots in the center of the cap. Probably the same Pulsonic cones on both, actually.

ReWind James

Reaction score
They look and sound like JBLs to me. I know the D120s were still being used by Fender at the time, but perhaps the E120s were also available? There's not much info about dates with JBL.

Still, those are just what I'm familiar with and I don't want to assume anything. Seems that, as big as Sabbath was at that period, there'd be more photos / documentation of something as obvious as a big visual and sonic speaker change for both Tony and Geezer.