What was your first good electric Guitar?

• Thread starter lpaholic59Don
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

andyman95023

Reaction score
My first REAL guitar is a 77 hardtail strat I traded for a motorcycle. I still have it complete with 3 bolt neck and 5 way switch.

Andyman95023:fingersx:

AngryDeli

Reaction score
My first electric guitar was a real piece o' crap J.B. Player with shitty pickups, warped neck and even worse Floyd Rose-copy whammy bar. That's what I got for letting my parents surprise me. About 3 days later, I took that POS guitar and traded it for a Fender Stratocaster (Korean model).

My first REAL guitar was my Les Paul Studio Baritone, which I still use to this day.

Last edited:

wkcchampion

Reaction score
my 08 Parker Fly Mojo. I still have it.

Also worth considering a Gibson SG with Bigsby tremolo I had years ago but... umpf no match to the Fly at all, period.

thrawn86

Reaction score
I had a black Epiphone LP that was really nice. This was after a lousy Squire......:lol: Ugh....sickening to think about that thing. My Gibson LP is the best yet.

Fcal124

Reaction score
1970 Cherry Gibson SG with Maestro Trem about $450-500 new. Man I wish I hadn't sold that guitar.:(

RobS

Reaction score
My first guitar was a Yamaha RGX312 which I still have, only because all original members of KISS signed it. Then I was lucky enough to buy one of Paul Stanleys PS10CL's and I see that as the 1st real guitar I got. I have also an Epiphone LP Custom which is a great guitar as well and used to have a Gibson LP Custom which I recently sold and now also have a 08 Gibson LP traditional which I put on par with the Ibanez. The Ibanez feels very much like a Gibson Explorer to play and the Traditional is like a tank and really sounds great on both clean and dirty channels.

Rob

Gtrman58

Reaction score
It was 1971-72. I had been playing for about 6 years. I started out with a Norma and stumbled upon a mint condition 1951 telecaster with mint case and a 51 fender deluxe amp. ALL FOR 50.00 DOLLARS!

I still have the amp.....and dreams about the guitar!

I have photos of many of my past babies and I am still trying to figure out how to get them on the forum.

StootMonster

Reaction score
My first electric was some pawnshop special called a Checkmate. Then I "upgraded" to a much better sounding guitar. It was a japanese import Les Paul copy called a Lotus. I played that one for quite a while until I got an Epiphone Les Paul. So somewhere in there was my first REAL electric.

custom53

Reaction score
My first guitar was a "no Name" with switches and knobs, 4 pick-ups, weighed about 40 lbs...! Had a couple more cheapos than I got a Hofner 6-string around 1973. Sold that for $75.00 (with case....!) Then I got got a mid 60s Strat around 1974. After that it was a blur....

th_60-Hofner.jpg

th_60s-Strat.jpg

zslane

Reaction score
1996 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, pictured below. Purchased new from Guitar Center thirteen years ago. Clearly, my LP collection has grown since then...

zslane-albums-my-gear-picture256-dsl-100-dsl-401-mg-15cdr-les-paul-standards-goldtop-black-amberburst-les-paul-custom-alpine-white.jpg

MacMan

Reaction score
The first great guitar I ever bought was my black Peavey Wolfgang Special Deluxe the neck is beautiful as is the feel. You can probably tell I really really like them.

Attachments

• Wolfgangs01 (Medium).JPG
    Wolfgangs01 (Medium).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 11

Benito

Reaction score
Little bit unusual this one.........
Gibson Nighthawk Special 3-pickup.....nice

Slanted bridge 'bucker, middle single coil, and a mini-bucker in the neck,
5-way switch gives 1) bridge bucker full, 2)both neck and bridge 3) neck full bucker
4) bridge bucker and middle single...super strat i guess, 5) neck and bridge singles (tele mid position) and pull the tone pot up and you have classic strat 5-way switching!!!
It's a Gibson but it's fender scale and strings through body like a tele....Mental
Mahog body and a maple top the same thickness as an SG overall, it knows not what it is...... but i love it and i still have it despite pawning it to buy an engagement ring
All i can say is 1 year later i still have the ring, still have the guitar, but got a different girl... he he rock 'n' roll!!!!

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first guitar that really sounded good was a Fernandes 'The Function'.
Bought it about 20 years ago.
On the day, in the shop, I tried a USA Strat, USA Tele, and the Fernandes. For about 5 hours.
They were all about the same price.

I knew very well the good reputation of the Strat and Tele. I had lusted after them for years.
But I couldn't get past the fact that the Fernandes sounded better than either of the Fenders - and very versatile, which was one thing that I was looking for.

Now I still have the Fernandes. It's worn - but still interesting with some good sounds.

However, I evidently didn't make the best investment decision that day.

kernal

Reaction score
An '82 Les Paul Custom, tobacco burst w/ gold harware. Paid $900 for it new in '82, sold it for $400 in '85.

Although it would have been worth so more now, I never really liked playing it that much. It was an "impulse" buy, from which I saved up my paper route money and went into a local music store and seen the LP. My guitar teacher had one similar to it, and I figured I couldn't go wrong...I was wrong.

I picked up a Fender strat and the LP went bye-bye. Been a strat guy ever since.

watchtheskies

Reaction score
well my first ever electric guitar was a black les paul copy which I got for my 15th birthday,
I had been playing an acoustic for a couple of years before that, but that was my first electric, I think it came with a crappy little practice amp, but I thought it was the best thing ever,

my first decent guitar was an Explorer made by a Yorkshire luthier named Pete Back Pete Back Guitars www.peteback.com, I bought it second hand for £270 in 1982, I was at college doing my A levels at the time, so where I got the cash I have no idea?

when I got my Gibson Explorer in 84 I sold the Pete Back, actually thinking about it I traded it in for a Marshall 4x12, It was a great guitar and I wish I had managed to hold on to it,
I've had some awesome guitars over the years, so why the heck did I sell them!!!, needed the cash I guess, but would love to have some of them back for sure

Ken

Reaction score
Mine was a Made in Japan Kimbara Strat copy that I got for my 18th birthday from my parents. They were made in the same factory that Fender later used for their models.

I still have it but it got a Kahler in the mid 80's

The Kimbara was followed by an Ibanez Moderne copy that I bought at Kitchen's Music in Leeds, half price to clear. It's a '74 (= no serial No.) and is currently leaning against the wall about four feet to my right ;) Unmodified by very very well worn.

OMG. I'm the ultimate Moderne fan. There was the Ibanez you have hanging next to the Les Paul Standard I bought in 1977. Both were the same price but much as I loved the "Moderne" I wanted a Gibson, not a "Japanese" guitar.

Then in 1983 my local guitar store had a Gibson Moderne and wanted like $800 for it. I didn't have the money at the time, so I missed that one.

Today there was the cheesy Epiphone copy on eBay with a Buy It Now of $399. I thought about pulling the trigger but it got bought. I don't regret that as much as it wasn't the korina model and it had a bolt on neck. But still....

So SOME day I'll have to pony up the $6k a 1983 Gibson costs...

Ken

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
A Gibson Les Paul studio, don't have it anymore, it was an awsome guitar for the price, I was dumb by selling it.