What was your first good electric Guitar?

• Thread starter lpaholic59Don
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lakehaus

Reaction score
My first good guitar was my first guitar. My 17 year old mind said "if I start with something good, I might stick with it."

Bought new in 1977 - a 1976 Gibson SG Standard, pictured below c. 1977

SGwithBFPR-1.jpg

Pictured below in 2009

DSC_0060.jpg

zfmusic

Reaction score
Very first guitar was a fender rip off slammer.

First good guitar was an 05' or 06' Schecter C1 classic when they were still made in South Korea.

sc1plus.jpg

Tubedude

Reaction score
Even though I have played for over 20 years and have passed some Gibsons and other good guitars the first guitar that really suited me was a Ibanez S2170 Prestige. Of course if you had asked some years ago the answer would been diferent.

Attachments

• s2170fw-ntf.jpg
    s2170fw-ntf.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 4

j2112c

Reaction score
My first electric guitar was a Cort Flying V that was blue. Bought it in 1983. My first "real" guitar was a fluke. I had been saving for a Kramer in 1984 and 1985, but was only going to be able to get the Focus 4000 (Flying V) with the money that I saved up. I was actually making payments on the guitar to a local dealer with the agreement that once I had paid enough for it, he'd order it. When I almost had enough money, he said he couldn't order the guitar I wanted because he wasn't a dealer and returned my money to me. This is when my father and I drove up to Reliable Music in Charlotte, NC to look at their Kramer inventory.

They had the white F-4000 in stock, but my father spoke with one of the owners of the store about guitarists and how most go through many, many guitars before finally getting the one that they want and like. I was all set to buy the Focus (Japanese made), but my father told me to wait and we'd discuss it on the 2+ hour ride home. It was during this time that my dad asked me which guitar I really wanted. For me, it wasn't the Focus model, but the US-made Vanguard. After a long and lengthy discussion, he said he'd kick in the rest of the money I needed to "upgrade" from the Focus (about an extra $250). So, on that Saturday afternoon of October 29, 1985 when we got home, we called the store and ordered the white Vanguard that was hanging on the wall.....it arrived on October 31, 1985.

vanguard.jpg

22+ years later, I've had a couple hundred guitars go through my hands, but.....I still have the Vanguard. :dude:

Great Story!:applause:

maiden666

Reaction score
mine was a jackson dk2 great guitars had a few of them plus a sl3 but got rid of that for my new brian may guitar that i love,it can be a strat a les paul a tele,everthing i need and the neck is great
this is the jackson sl3 i got rid of
06092009083.jpg

for this my bmg,would love to have kept the sl3 but couldnt
DSC00082.jpg

theflyingmat

Reaction score
Some great stories and some sad stories on this thread. Great stuff.

First decent guitar was a early Fender Bullet Deluxe for 60 quid. It's shaped like a telecaster and also has two pickups. I had no amp so swapped it for a Ibanez SB250 acoustic. Then bought the Fender back a few years later and very let it go again. Next was a 74 telecaster, and then.................what was that about it being a blur?

Oh, I've still got the Ibanez as well as my wife won't let me sell it because I took it to her house and sang a love song to her 20 years ago....Woman!!!!:)

jrfreak0

Reaction score
My first good guitar was a 1971 Fender blonde Tele that i bought new and still have.

trobdcso

Reaction score
My first was a fat strat. I didn't know anything about Strats or LP's and bright versus dark. I didn't like what I heard. As soon as I could, I bought a LP, then a Marshall. Now my Strat sits in a case, and every once in a while I pull it out to remind me how much I like the LP. It ends up back in the case for another month.

Dave666

Reaction score
Mine was a Ibanez RG620 (Made in Japan) made before the Prestige-line came in the catalog and it played better than the now Prestige-line which is also made in Japan...
But when I bought my SG Standard I sold the Ibanez 'cause I needed to much time adapt to the thin neck when switced from the Gibson...
I recently played an Ibanez RG and didn't like the feeling of it...
Maybe I'm a Gibson man :headbanger:

KYrocker04

Reaction score
First good guitar was an ESP EC-300 red cherry. Looked sexy and sounded really good even with the stock emg-hz humbuckers. Had to sell it to cover moving expenses, I'd sure like to have it back.

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Mine would have been an ESP LTD Kirk Hammett Sig. I quickly traded it after tooling around with a floyd rose for a 1994 Gibson SG. I wish I still had that SG

rjohns1

Reaction score
My first real guitar was a Peavey Wolfgang Standard. I bought it in 1999. I played the crap out of that thing. I wore out the frets, and found my baby, my 2003 EBMM Axis at GC. I traded in the Peavey, and got the Axis. Since then, I went through several cheaper guitars as backups. The one I never wished I sold was this Godin I had. It was pretty bad ass, but back then I wasn't into it. In 07, I bought my other Axis, and I have my main two guitars. The Amber 03 has a PAF Pro in the bridge, but the 07 has the stock pickups in it.