What Would You Do? V. Ebay

• Thread starter dcsocal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dcsocal

Reaction score
Excuse me if this is in the wrong sub

So a few days ago I purchased an Egnater Tweaker from eBay from a seller with 400 positive feedback and other items for sale. Pictures seemed fine and the item was described as:

"Hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to my listing. Today you are looking at a fantastic EGNATER Tweaker 15W Tube Head! This Tube Amp has so many different modes and versatile tones you can get out of it. with a flip of the switch you can change from vintage or modern voicing or USA, Brit and AC settings can completely change your tone. Great cleans and awesome driven sound with high gain as well.

In excellent condition. I bought it off a guy that just had it stored in his band room for about a year and didn't play it. I have owned it a handful of months and have only turned it on once or twice since having it. I love the sound, but I don't play as much as I used to. Letting it go. An awesome amplifier, don't miss your chance to own!
I am committed to excellence in serving you, if you have any questions feel free to message me.
Thank you!"

Description seemed straight forward enough so I pulled the trigger and purchased it. HOWEVER, for some reason I decided to go through the guy's feedback and saw this comment from a buyer less than 6 months ago:

"Egnator Tweaker 15 Watt Tube Head w/ Matching 12" Cab NICE (#262187382142) -- Amp arrived damaged but seller was extremely helpful during the return process."

At this point I was both mad at myself for only noticing that and feeling a little deceived. I contacted the seller who informed me that:

" This is the same amp. Nothing wrong with it. In shipping the top came off of it. You'd remove it if you wanted to service the transformer or something. I took to a tech and he went through it. Everything good to go. Its only staples in particle board that holds the bottom to the sides. So after testing they put the staples back in and added 4 screws to make it more sturdy...I've used it a few times in my studio for sessions since. She's great and just went through, so good to go."

This has brought up a couple concerns, one, that the transformer could have been worked on previously (given the history of transformer issues in these amps), and two, that this was not described AT ALL in the description nor would it have ever been mentioned if I didn't ask.

The screws were presented in one of the pictures but they seem like typical screws in the bottom of an amp. I don't think anyone would automatically assume that they were from a repair.

Despite the sellers assurances, I feel deceived and am wondering what step I should take next. I appreciate the help.

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
I'd request a cancellation of the transaction on eBay due to non-disclosed issues.

dcsocal

Reaction score
I politely asked the guy to refund my money. It sounds like it was supposed to ship tomorrow, so hopefully he makes this a painless process and doesn't get vindicate because he couldn't pull a fast one. Such a bummer, I was looking forward to the Tweaker (for the 3rd time) lol

Good to be back.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Honestly, I would just let him ship it. If he accepts returns that is. If you really want the amp get it and play for a while, if all is well I wouldn't worry about it. If something is off, send it back. Just my opinion though.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think you're fine. The eBay of today is designed so you could absolutely, royally screw over the seller if you wish to.

I'll never again sell anything on there, EVER.

My one experience selling something on ebay still makes me angry to this day. They can eat a bag of dicks. Same goes with Paypal.

mtm105

Reaction score
Dont buy used Egnators.

I've been temped so many times.

Sub-par made in China PCB rubs me the wrong way.

mtm105

Reaction score
My one experience selling something on ebay still makes me angry to this day. They can eat a bag of dicks. Same goes with Paypal.

I sold my Dr Z mini. I could not get the right sound out of it after buying used about 1/2 retail. I figured I'm not a Dr Z man.

Shipped cross country only to receive complaint it makes horrible noises. I had to honor return. I replaced power tube and today it sings like a bird.

Turns out, I'm a Dr Z man.

mirrorman

Reaction score
Often what is NOT said is as important (if not more important) than what has been said.
If you had to pry the truth about the amp out of the seller, you've probably made the right decision in cancelling the order.
:2c:

rick16v

Reaction score
I would cancel it on the grounds that it wasn't described as damaged repaired, which it is.

It may be fine, but if something does go wrong later, you'll kick yourself for accepting a previously damaged amp.

I wanted one of these but have always resisted due to the reliability horror stories.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would cancel it on the grounds that it wasn't described as damaged repaired, which it is.

It may be fine, but if something does go wrong later, you'll kick yourself for accepting a previously damaged amp.

I wanted one of these but have always resisted due to the reliability horror stories.
The undisclosed damage hurts the resale value, bottom line. Unless the seller is willing to eat that loss of value I'd find another myself. Someday youll have to sell it. Why should u take the hit for his lack of disclosure?

dcsocal

Reaction score
Thankfully the seller cancelled the order and refunded my money without much hassle. I seriously dodged a bullet!

On the brightside, I decided to go out and get one of Bassbreaker 007 heads. It's like a mini Bluesbreaker!