what would you do?

• Thread starter Teethgrinder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Teethgrinder

Reaction score
Can you fit an isolation cab into your setup? It's a very good way to get the cranked sound without having to deal with that much volume in the room, if you can swing it. And it doesn't choke the amp's tone the way an attenuator often does.
I have a ISO box that I built for recording our album last year, but it is bulky! stored away in the garage until I need it. But was looking at this earlier, that is some inspiration for a smaller ISO solution

EBAY LINK TO ISO CAB

Teethgrinder

Reaction score
Keep the JTM, build a JohnH M2. JTM crunch and sag at any volume. :yesway:

This is in part based on the fact that you get on fine with the JTM as/is. If you want to add FX loops and so on, then perhaps a different attenuator would be more applicable. Line out/DI can be accomodated in a JohnH, but I built a 'no frills' version as I always mic things anyway so I can't comment on those first hand.

Iso-cab would also be a great solution as Matthews suggested.

I'm going to look at this - it seems a lot of folk are having success with this unit, and I don't mind a bit of making.. Thanks!

ken Tucky

Reaction score
I was reading reviews for those 50th anniversary 1 watter's on Reverb and they get spectacular reviews especially the JTM 1 .
I tried everything and spent tons of money looking for an amp that would have the vibe of a NMV rig at whisper quiet, apartment friendly 3:00am type volume. For me the JTM-1 is it. Best equipment purchase I've ever made to be sure. The amp is still too loud on its own for an aprtment at 1 watt and has a .5 watt setting to halve it's output if desired. I find there is much better tone from leaving the amp in its 1 watt setting and then attenuating rather than using the .5 option which itself seems to take away the mojo and suffocate the sound too much. After trying many, I chose a PB-100 which to my ears is the attenuator that sounds best with most all NMV Marshall amps.

Highly recommend the JTM-1 with a PB-100 if a basic NMV tone at extremely low volume is the goal. IMO it sounds and feels way better than my 1987 choked down to the same low volume and you don't smell your tubes cooking while doing so.

Teethgrinder

Reaction score
IMO Origins sound better cranked, even on the lower power settings. They need to at least be at edge of break up if not fully wound up which is what I prefer with them. What are your settings? Any recordings or samples of what you are trying to achieve with it. I know your trying to match your JTM but theres more than one way to run one of those too.

Presence 9 o'clock
Volume 12 o'clock
Treble 9 o'clock
Mid 1 o'clock
Bass 5 o'clock
Tilt 10 o'clock
Gain 10 o'clock

no recordings, as yet..

I'm hitting it with a RAT, It's not sounding too bad, just not got the size of the JTM45, which is to be expected, I guess.