Whatever Happened to Vito Bratta???

• Thread starter John 14:6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John 14:6

Reaction score
Vito Bratta is one of the best players I have ever heard and he just kind of disappeared 20 years ago. Someone MUST get this guy making music again. How can anybody who is this good just walk away from music and playing the guitar? I don't get it. I heard this song for the very first time today and I am even more shocked that Vito just disappeared. He is like the JD Salinger of the music world. His tone and vibrato have me completely mesmerized today. I remember him being an incredible player, but now I am convinced he is among the best of the best ever.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzi7ybzCtN4"]White Lion- Blue Monday - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

wakjob

Reaction score
He was a stand out during that time. And one of my favorites!

There's a couple of vids on YT with the singer Mike Tramp talking about a reunion
... and Vito's response.

rocknblues

Reaction score
Yep. The man could really solo. He was like a good combo of Nuno, VH and DiMartini who played a lot of power ballad hair rock.

Rocktane

Reaction score
Great player for sure!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4wCkkMVpzk]White Lion - Radar Love (music video) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Red_Label

Reaction score
I miss Vito's playing as well. He didn't have shredder chops per se... but his playing was so melodic and somewhat unique. There are a few 80s musicians that I find myself feeling bummed when I think about them walking away. Sandi Saraya (on vocals) is another. :(

eastwood6

Reaction score
Saw White Lion live on a bill with Ace Frehley and Y&T back in the day. Great show. Vito was one of the few guys to take the EVH thing and bring his own spin and personality to it. Among the best of the hair metal players of that time.

managainstcatfish

Reaction score
I saw an episode of That Metal Show where they were talking about him. Apparently, he's just out of the music biz completely. I don't know if he even still plays. Personally, WL were not at ALL my kinda music, but the guy could damn sure play. He had a very fluid style & a beyond-natural touch. I'ld like to hear what a guy like that could do nowadays, but not if hasn't been playing. I saw Jake on TMS & was SO disappointed. That's what happens when you don't practice, no matter how good you are. Or were.

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
His father became ill and he decided to quit the biz to take care of him full time. That coupled with a hand injury which apparently has never properly healed. I heard an interview with him on Eddie Trunk's radio show a few years back and he said then he didn't even know if he could play his old licks. I remember him telling a story that he think he hurt himself just playing too much. He'd warm up for an hour pre-show, then do the show then sit in the dressing room and play after then go home and play til the morning.

He was on the cusp of being one of the all time greats. I loved his phrasing and he tapped just differently enough it was unique to him.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah he did that with EMG's in a strat too. I mean humbuckers. I got a video of him playing it at a show. EMG 81 I think but may be 85. couldn't quite see the color.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Yeah, fingers are meant to grab onto stuff not blast through scales 23 hours a day.
look at VH's fingers. lookout!
the copy cats came along and 'got noticed' but they changed the reputation of the show, and in doing so, stuffed up the magic.
It was a business first but along came real musos and they got some real fans. then the copy cats thought they can do that or better, but they didn't realise they were making a house of cards. when the next big wind came through they got blown away.
there were hundreds of 1930's movie stars. I bet you can't name more than 3.
this guy made WL good, but that's it. they were always a 'b' grade band. they had the 'corperate stamp' all over them. them, poison, warrent, ugly kid joe Mrbig. fxxxxers! I liked and HATED them all at the same time!
Have a look at 90's guitar mags you'll see Derick trucks posing with 'c' grade gear. now, all of a sudden he and bonamassa have the 'a' grade gear.? HUH? why? their hair doo's and makeup have changed as well !

Motleykrew24

Reaction score
Even on his first album he had some killer chops, but seems to be ignored by fans. Kinda a weird situation with him disappearing from the music biz, a few others have as well like Steve Perry, Chris Degarmo, and Jake E Lee for a brief moment. Anyways here is a video of me tackling the song El Salvador from their first release.

http:// http://youtu.be/kPh6qcoVlGI

Jaymz E

Reaction score
He took WAIT literally? JK
I liked Lady of the valley when I was a youngun.

chucho

Reaction score
His father became ill and he decided to quit the biz to take care of him full time. That coupled with a hand injury which apparently has never properly healed. I heard an interview with him on Eddie Trunk's radio show a few years back and he said then he didn't even know if he could play his old licks. I remember him telling a story that he think he hurt himself just playing too much. He'd warm up for an hour pre-show, then do the show then sit in the dressing room and play after then go home and play til the morning.

He was on the cusp of being one of the all time greats. I loved his phrasing and he tapped just differently enough it was unique to him.

That is what I read too, about his dad.
I did not hear/know he injured his hand.
I heard he was still playing, albeit not at the same level as previously.

Yeah he is a goodun' :shred:

Conner

Reaction score
It may sound fake but just yesterday I met him. He seems to be doing well. he gave me some tips about guitar, keep practicing, you can make a band when your 16 ect. His hand is still injured. I was carrying my guitar and playing it at a park and he approached me and told me about his career and how he even worked with Skynyrd Lynyrd. Safe to say he's alive and kickin

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
He was a stand out during that time. And one of my favorites!

There's a couple of vids on YT with the singer Mike Tramp talking about a reunion
... and Vito's response.
My old guitar teacher Kenny Korade was the guitar player in Tramps Band "Freak of Nature", I think Vito just got sick of it all....