Whats the best chorus pedal

• Thread starter keiffer76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

keiffer76

Reaction score
Getting opinions on the best chorus pedal for $200 or below.
Heads using.
Silver jubilee
Jcm 2000 dsl 100
1979 jmp 2203 no fx loop

Thanks in advance ☺

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Nicest chorus pedal I ever owned and used was a DOD FX65. Second best was my SCF (TC Electronics).

But I like the sound of a good CE1 clone, must admit. For example, PastFX in Australia does one for somewhere north of US$300… but yeah, that’s way higher than your top dollar, so maybe not that one.

Another one worth considering is the CE-2W from Boss. Again, sounds nice to me. Should be able to find one just under the 200 mark, I reckon.

V-man

Reaction score
KISS unless you have a wild stereo fetish.

CE-1 Small Clone or one of their variants.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Boy, back in the 90s I had a great Boss Chorus Ensemble...CE-3 possibly. I loved that pedal but a dopey buddy burnt it up when I lent it to him. That thing gave me such lush 80s chorus.

They were made different back then, the new ones don't sound anywhere near as good as the original version. I read about it a while ago but don't remember what the difference is. If I start using pedals again, I'll be getting another one of those.

jeffb

Reaction score
Ce1 is the best for my tastes. I used a ce 2 for many years, but prefer the original.

Any kind of ce1/2 variant would be my choice in new stuff, however I've been getting by quite well with a MXR micro for years. A lot of bang for the buck. Covers all the chorus tones I need, but admittedly, I just need a couple rate variations. Slow, medium.

mark123

Reaction score
I have a chorus pedal fetish. My favorite is the Arion SCH-1. The tone control is very useful and it’s just crazy lush in stereo.

There is only 1 chorus pedals that I don’t like. TC Electronic Corona. The EHX ones aren’t great either but they do well enough.

V-man

Reaction score

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Another vote for BOSS ce1 or ce2.

I like my Way Huge Blue Hippo, but it's basically a BOSS CE-2 clone.

I'm seeeing a trend develop in this thread.

Len

Reaction score
As usual, there is no best, just preferences. Most sound different from one another so it depends on the tone you’re after. I like the Boss CE-2w.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Boy, back in the 90s I had a great Boss Chorus Ensemble...CE-3 possibly. I loved that pedal but a dopey buddy burnt it up when I lent it to him. That thing gave me such lush 80s chorus.

They were made different back then, the new ones don't sound anywhere near as good as the original version. I read about it a while ago but don't remember what the difference is. If I start using pedals again, I'll be getting another one of those.
I own a early CE-2 (MIJ, "long dash" black screw variant) and have owned a CE-3, and seriously, the CE-2W is very close to the real deal, to the point that there's more difference between two original CE-2s (remember, these are 40 years old pedals, components values drift over time) that between a Waza one and an original one. Short of straight up A/Bing them, you'll never hear the difference. The CE-2W sounds every bit as good as the old ones. That is, big warm organic and chewy (ugh, that makes quite a few buzzwords...oh well), best pedal out there if you want that kind of chorus tone.
Not mentioning the fact, you get a warranty and a brand new pedal.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I have an original Boss CE-2 and CE-3. The CE-3 is stereo but is not as lush or warm as the CE-2. You can find the CE-3 pedal fairly cheap. I used that pedal when I played out and it was OK. You need the ACA adapter vs the PSA adapter if you are using a Boss power supply for both pedals.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I have a chorus pedal fetish. My favorite is the Arion SCH-1. The tone control is very useful and it’s just crazy lush in stereo.

There is only 1 chorus pedals that I don’t like. TC Electronic Corona. The EHX ones aren’t great either but they do well enough.
+1 on no love for the TC pedal. I tried to like it. I don't get why people bought it.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that tc corona sucked! I thought something was wrong with it and went and tried another. Just terrible imo.

Phony iommi

Reaction score
Boss Waza Craft Dimension C
A used one should be in your price range.
A far superior chorus to the CE-2W imo but without a vibrato mode.