Whats The Deal With Dsl40cr Pedal Pedl-91016

• Thread starter Coachz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sun King

Reaction score
I picked up a PEDL-91016 last year, but due to a lengthy, dragged-out divorce, have had very little time to check it out, let alone play guitar. Currently all of my musical equipment is stashed elsewhere, for "safekeeping," although i do still have a cheap acoustic at the house (whoopee!).

When i first got the the footswitch, i checked it out and everything worked fine. After that, it has sat for months until i got a chance to get out to my sister's house and do some playing today.

Well so NOW, the footswitch starts having problems. Got it from a private seller and way too late to return it. What it does, is just shut off completely (although the amp continues to play at the last setting). So I tried a little trouble-shooting with it. First thing is that putting the amp on Standby, and then back On, returns the switch to operation.

The cord supplied looks like any old 1/4" instrument cord, so i tried swapping that. No better, no worse, (although when plugging and unplugging from the switch, clicking sounds would come from inside the amp's front panel.) Then i thought maybe it wanted something in the FX loop. Tried that, no difference either way.

I was able to isolate it to one specific action. The pedal's buttons are numbered 1 through 6, and each have LED's. The buttons' functions, in order, are Clean, Crunch, OD1, OD2, Master Volume, and FX loop. LED's in order are green, red, green, red, green OR red on #5, and green. When this thing works, it is a pretty slick set-up! Anyway, the malfunction would ALWAYS occur while OD2 was on, and then using button 5 (MV). Again, putting the amp in Standby and then back on, would get the footswitch working again. (However, there was also a time when i left it in the malfunction condition for a couple of minutes, and it spontaneously returned to normal.)

Final thing, the power setting- all that time i had the amp on "Low" (20 watts). So i switched to full power, and after that, the footswitch operated properly; in fact i could NOT get it to malfunction while on full power. So that's a major clue right there.

From now on i guess i will only use the amp on full power while running the 6-button switch. Not the worst outcome i suppose. But if i was a gigging musician, that is not a piece of equipment i'd rely on.

Jon C

Reaction score
Switch Multiplex IC …… The voltage ranges are usually broad enough for each function to avoid glitchyness …… Simple resistor and diode construction in the Footswitch itself is rarely the culprit …… I can sure see how the IC might not see the values it wants to do the changes , especially if the baseline DCV feed from the Amp down to the FS is not correct ……That explains Full Power working better……

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah def sounds like a multi-plex circuit in the amp and a simple resistor network in the footswitch. Very common with DTMF and multi-function microphone switches in Ham Radio transceivers...

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I picked up a PEDL-91016 last year, but due to a lengthy, dragged-out divorce, have had very little time to check it out, let alone play guitar. Currently all of my musical equipment is stashed elsewhere, for "safekeeping," although i do still have a cheap acoustic at the house (whoopee!).

When i first got the the footswitch, i checked it out and everything worked fine. After that, it has sat for months until i got a chance to get out to my sister's house and do some playing today.

Well so NOW, the footswitch starts having problems. Got it from a private seller and way too late to return it. What it does, is just shut off completely (although the amp continues to play at the last setting). So I tried a little trouble-shooting with it. First thing is that putting the amp on Standby, and then back On, returns the switch to operation.

The cord supplied looks like any old 1/4" instrument cord, so i tried swapping that. No better, no worse, (although when plugging and unplugging from the switch, clicking sounds would come from inside the amp's front panel.) Then i thought maybe it wanted something in the FX loop. Tried that, no difference either way.

I was able to isolate it to one specific action. The pedal's buttons are numbered 1 through 6, and each have LED's. The buttons' functions, in order, are Clean, Crunch, OD1, OD2, Master Volume, and FX loop. LED's in order are green, red, green, red, green OR red on #5, and green. When this thing works, it is a pretty slick set-up! Anyway, the malfunction would ALWAYS occur while OD2 was on, and then using button 5 (MV). Again, putting the amp in Standby and then back on, would get the footswitch working again. (However, there was also a time when i left it in the malfunction condition for a couple of minutes, and it spontaneously returned to normal.)

Final thing, the power setting- all that time i had the amp on "Low" (20 watts). So i switched to full power, and after that, the footswitch operated properly; in fact i could NOT get it to malfunction while on full power. So that's a major clue right there.

From now on i guess i will only use the amp on full power while running the 6-button switch. Not the worst outcome i suppose. But if i was a gigging musician, that is not a piece of equipment i'd rely on.

You Sir, have a genuine warranty issue and it is in the amp, not the foot switch! I'm betting that if you plug in the original 2 - button foot switch, it will begin to exhibit problems also, after the amp has been on for a while!

Just Sayin'
Gene

Sun King

Reaction score
Yea Gene, i was thinking that too. Seems like the problem is not actually the switch but the amp. :(

Edit: Well hey, at least Marshall has a good warranty period! (5 yrs/3 yrs).

Last edited:

EastLa

Reaction score
I got a call from Sweetwater today, they finally got their shipment in and will be shipping out the backorders. I should have mine in 3-4 days. BTW I ordered it in August.

Sir Don

Reaction score
I got a call from Sweetwater today, they finally got their shipment in and will be shipping out the backorders. I should have mine in 3-4 days. BTW I ordered it in August.

Woo Hoo!! there's hope for us Aussies yet. I ordered mine 9 months ago.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@Sun King
You don't show where you're located, but if in the United States I highly recommend you try to get it to the Marshall service center at US MUSIC CORP, as they have been dealing with this and similar issues fairly well. Not certain tthat I would depend too much on a smaller place that simply has "Authorized Service" status!
Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less!
Gene

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have the PEDL-91016 and it works OK for the most part. Just an intermittent lack of engaging the FX loop on startup (needs cycling). I got lucky.
But I am beginning to suspect that the guys at Marshall are maybe thinking that this footswitch may expose another raft of faults that require a recall. Could explain the slow rollout. Fix the footswitch to hide the fault. What do you think?

Sun King

Reaction score
Winner, winner ding-ding-ding!!!
SkyMonkey- very astute!

Edit: yeah Gene thanks for that, I'll have to update my profile, I'm in Michigan.

Last edited:

Kendoggy

Reaction score
What's the deal with the 6-way footswitch for Marshall dsl40cr? It seems to be Vaporware here in the United States. Is this thing available or did they just decide not to do it or are there problems or what?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/marshall-footswitch-for-dsl40-amp

I just ordered one from Anderton's in the UK. Should be here today. I've seen posts from others stating it was quirky, etc. I'll let you know if I experience any issues. Just to make sure we are talking about the same pedal, this is the one I'm expecting today:

Attachments

• Marshall PEDL-91016.jpg
    Marshall PEDL-91016.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 5

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem is most people don't do their homework in all honesty. I wanted the 91016 for months I searched, pitbull audio been out of stock for over a year. Thomanns aren't allowed to ship it to the US. I finally called Sweetwater tech, his response " absolutely I can get it, but it will take a little time. I ordered at the end of January, he said it would be March. March 5, it shows up at the house and I bought it for 159.99 which is about 40 dollars cheaper than Pitbull. so you can get them it just takes a little patience. and I am glad I did, because it does give me more versatility on my DSL 100 HR.

Kendoggy

Reaction score
What's the deal with the 6-way footswitch for Marshall dsl40cr? It seems to be Vaporware here in the United States. Is this thing available or did they just decide not to do it or are there problems or what?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/marshall-footswitch-for-dsl40-amp

OK; got an update for you. The 91016 just arrived from Andertons, UK. I tried it with the cable provided, but it didn't work. I thought maybe I need a TSR cable instead of just a TS. That wasn't it. This footswitch only works with the new DSL40CR. If you have anything older than the latest incarnation of the DSL40, it likely won't work for you. Now, to upgrade my amp... :erk::metal:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
You must be the only person on the forum with the pedl-91016 but not the amp!
I can attest that when you get the DSL40CR it will vastly improve the way the footswitch works.

LAAF

Reaction score
I couldn't wait, so I just built my own MIDI version. Seems to function much like the PEDL-91016.

Last edited:

LAAF

Reaction score
So I was digging deeper into the footswitch design on the DSL40CR and it looks like it's using the tip/ground to provide soft power (+12V through a 150 ohm resistor) with bi-directinal data riding on it. I presume the footswitch uses the DC portion to generate a V+ on the FS board and then the data can modulate on it. The cool part is that there is a FSW_TX and FSW_RX tied to the circuitry, so it can read and write serial data through the STM8S005KM microcontroller on the DFX card. The FSW_TX signal modulates a FET that sinks the line to ground when active (using data pulses). Not sure anyone cares, but I found it interesting. If I ever get a real 91016 footswitch, I'll scope it and see what the data rate is and maybe even decode the messages to replicate my own FS design. It's not clear what side is the master/slave with this interface, but I suspect it's the FS side. When powered, it likely polls the amp for status and updates itself to sync.

Last edited:

LAAF

Reaction score
It looks like the earlier design for a 6-way FS also uses the same design topology, but has the AT2313 Microcontroller in both the amp side as well as the FS. Has anyone ever looked at the data going across the line when plugged in? I'm curious if the amp constantly polls the FS or is data only sent when a button is pressed.

I have a JVM FS and it looks like there no activity on the line when powered, so I don't know if this is normal and it's waiting for the amp to send a message. Or maybe it's not working correctly.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy to check, just unplug the cable while playing to see if it makes a difference.

LAAF

Reaction score
Easy to check, just unplug the cable while playing to see if it makes a difference.
I want to see it on a scope because it won't be apparent if nothing is changing on the FS. I might be able to see it trying to poll with a dummy FS load. Thanks for giving me that idea. :)