whats up

radiyooooo

Reaction score
What style of music/tone really inspires you the most? If it's not a legit vintage 1970/80's sort of tone...the DSL is absolutely good (not amazing but very good sounding) AND it handles low volume (the real magic there). And...you can find a nice one used for 400-500$. I think both the CR and C version (older one) are great...i might actually like the tone out of the regular C version better...but it's less feature rich.

If it is that 60/70/early 80's rock...the DSL isn't super great at that... if you are "tone hunting" that tone, but it'll still do it. For example I think the DSL is good for some Metallica tones...but its weak for AC/DC tones. Only flaws I don't like are that I think it's too bassy (a cheaper SD-1 pedal fixes this mostly) and the upper reaches of the gain on it, aren't super usable as it's gets kind of mushy on the Ultra Gain channels.

The reality is, it's versatile and if you are a newer player, just get the DSL...that's usually an easy choice. The DSL 40CR is a solid amp. You'll use it later even if you get other amps as it definitely fills a gap for gainer, a bit more modern-ish music. And the clean is good too...and the 6 button pedal is fun. The Origin is also out there but then you'll need pedals and perhaps a volume attenuator etc as it doesn't do lower volume nearly as well as the DSL. Good amp but its a different thing.

If I was you, I'd go into Guitar Center and play the various Marshall Amps to get a feel for the different stuff. One will definitely speak to you more!

Play the DSL, play the Origin and then definitely play the Studio Classic 20w and the Studio Vintage 20w....and whatever else. Then you'll have more perspective.

Fwiw the JCM800 2204/2203 circuit amps (studio classic) and the Plexi 1987/1959 circuit amps (studio vintage) are the most famous of Marshalls. The JTM45 is also up there (there is a studio amp for that too).

Volume is a thing tho and nothing is more home friendly on Volume than the DSL. So it's hard to go wrong there....but it's not that one classic/perfect tone that a lot of music was built on. So if you REALLY like something specific (more than others) music wise...you might just get that.
i want the kind of modern and 70-80s rock at the same time with a 200-300 dollars budget

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
$200-300 with a delay effect (if there is one.) My country's economy is messed up
In that price range, you would be good with some sort of solid state amp. Unfortunately, Marshall tube amps, even the less expensive ones, will require more money to get a good one or you will need to update some electronics.

IMO, you should be looking at something like a Line 6 Catalyst or Boss Katana to get you up and running with a decent amp that includes some effects. I have a Line 6 Catalyst 200 I bought a few years ago before I started getting into the Marshalls. I now own a DSL100H, an SC20H, Marshall 212 cab and a 412 made by someone else.

No shame in getting something cheap and reliable that handles your needs for now so you can save up for what you really want for later.

svinyard

Reaction score
i want the kind of modern and 70-80s rock at the same time with a 200-300 dollars budget
Budget has you firmly in the used DSL category then. Which is fine. Go find the DSL40C as it should be cheaper and has a bit more of a classic tone, albeit with some less features. It'll be good for sure and you should be able to find one for 350-400$. The CR newer version is good too, and has more versatile features. Obviously go to a guitar center or amp store first and play it for an hour...and some other stuff too. But with your budget your options are limited...but still good. I have that DSL40 and it's a good amp from Clean to Super Gained up.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Depending where you are, you may be able to find a decent condition Marshall Valvestate amp.
They have a Solid State (SS) power amp, and a hybrid SS preamp with a single ECC83 tube in the circuit.
The Mk III Marshall 2000 AVT 150 combo version may be best.
You get a selection of digital reverbs, delays, flanger and chorus built in.
Some you can combine or use alone.
2 levels of OD channels.
A Clean channel.
And an Acoustic simulator channel.

But the FX Loop is parallel, so make sure that is OK for your needs.
Parallel FX loops tend not to play well with Time Based FX pedals like reverb, delay and chorus.

One of those should be well within your price range, and keep up with any band levels.

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Depending where you are, you may be able to find a decent condition Marshall Valvestate amp.
They have a Solid State (SS) power amp, and a hybrid SS preamp with a single ECC83 tube in the circuit.
The Mk III Marshall 2000 AVT 150 combo version may be best.
You get a selection of digital reverbs, delays, flanger and chorus built in.
Some you can combine or use alone.
2 levels of OD channels.
A Clean channel.
And an Acoustic simulator channel.

But the FX Loop is parallel, so make sure that is OK for your needs.
Parallel FX loops tend not to play well with Time Based FX pedals like reverb, delay and chorus.

One of those should be well within your price range, and keep up with any band levels.

I used to have a 275 when they were first released. Some of the best chorus I've heard imo. I miss that chorus.

My buddy is still rocking it 20 years later.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
DSL20 or DSL40 and a Tube Screamer. Use the Tube Screamer to boost the green channel instead of use the amp's red channel. Because it just SOUNDS BETTER.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
So i'm very new to guitar, stopp playing for 3 years and started playing again around late 2023, my current amp is a mg10, not satisfied with it because it only has 3 knobs and i dont even know what countour means, any reccomended amps?
Welcome to the forum! Even if you're a newbie, you'll love it here, because there are so many cool people (including other newbies) who offer great advice! I guess the best answer to your question is to ask you a question in return: what kind of music do you play, in what settings, and what other gear do you have at the moment? The answers to those queries will guide us in how best to advise you.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
So i'm very new to guitar, stopp playing for 3 years and started playing again around late 2023, my current amp is a mg10, not satisfied with it because it only has 3 knobs and i dont even know what countour means, any reccomended amps?
welcome6.jpeg

:welcome:

A used BOSS Katana would be in your budget and give you more than what you were asking for.

Latest posts