Whats your preference 50 Watt or 100 Watt?

• Thread starter 1956tvmodel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Which do you prefer to lift and carry, 50 watt or 100 watt?

When I was in my 20s and 30s, 100W, to show everyone how strong I was :flex:.

Now that I'm older, 50W and preferably less, :sick: because my body is weak and tired, from having spent too much energy showing everyone how strong I was when I was younger!

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Not limited to Marshall, but generally speaking for tube amps I prefer the 40W-60W window. Loud enough to gig with, but I don't have to go deaf to push the tubes. Except for one little Super Champ XD, my six current tube amps are all in that range (to wit: 40W x2, 45W, 50W x2, 60W).

I own one 100W ('60s Kustom 100) and previously owned one other (Marshall Mos-Fet 5213 combo) but both are/were solid state.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I like both, but I hear the 50 in a live mix easier with less volume. The 100s are a bit more hifi and have less midrange push,therefore I need to turn them louder to hear in the band. Playing alone? The 100 for sure as it fills more spectrum. Just me.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
50 watts is my choice, loud enough for any band I’ve ever been in. I used my 100 watt JCM800 for years but started looking at 50 watt heads during a period of back pain. In truth, 30 to 40 watt JTM45’s and Tweed Supers are loud enough and are even lighter. But my 50 watters have a MV and are more practical for playing at home.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
I've grown to really prefer 100 watters, even at lower volume, but only by a hair. The volume difference between 100w and 50w is only 3db, and 50w and 25w is 3db further, which is really not that big of a deal. That's why people with 20w SV20H's are still finding they need attenuators, because they are only a couple of db quieter than the 100w plexis. I know it's more technical than this - since amps put out more than their wattage rating with distortion and etc etc. but I'm just making a generic statement. I do like having the larger transformers (if applicable) because I figure it's better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Now that said, I wouldn't turn down either. I happen to own a 2203 for example, but would've just as happily bought a 2204 at the same price if one had been available and been just as happy with it. The only time it is different to me is when the features differ - for example, I did specifically buy the 50w VHT Pittbull CL because it had a switchable tube rectifier that the 100w model did not. On the other hand, I splurged on the full size Mesa Mark V because the Mark V:35 and V:25 lacked the same features the full size unit had.
For this same reason, I don't really like any "lunchbox" sized amps. It's getting better now, and I love the form factor, but most 5-25w amps are missing features their big brothers have. That's not as big of a problem here in Marshall land, where the grail amp is usually a single channel with 6 knobs, but I also like Mesas and Oranges and their low wattage amps always have sacrifices in comparison to the full size heads.

(if you like/have lunchbox amps, I'm not ragging on them, just a personal preference - 5 years from now if amp makers keep making fully-featured low wattage models I'll be right on board with you)

uselessoldman

Reaction score
I am going to come at this from a slightly different angle. For playin gigs live with a heavy drummer you might need 100 watts with a half decent 4x12 to shut him up/out better than tying his hands behind his back maybe steal his sticks and get him some hotrods. For practice get something A LOT QUIETER and save your ears from unnecessary serious damage. Yes as a kid I liked using serious watts MY EARS did not and I sufer now from being a complete PRAT whose sole purpose was to annoy my parents and NEIGHBOURS

Valvelust

Reaction score
The preference is typically in the application.
Design and circuitry makes a difference as well.
Now if we are strictly talking about a very specific amp where you have a choice between a 50 watt or 100 watt there may be more definitive answers to the specific question.
Example, I've had early JMP 1987's that have more "headroom" than latter JCM 800 2203's.
For sound? 50 watters in can provide incredible sound and enough "headroom" for most all applications unless we're talking stadium. Don't take me wrong, I love my 1959's and 2203's

Thevenin

Reaction score
Although I'm a big fan of Twin Reverbs, my SV20 and VM 2266 hit the sweet spot at home. Don't get me wrong, the 100 watters I've played are a hoot with the wind at your back and the tone is full, but I appreciate my hearing.

Mystic38

Reaction score
Well, given that the question was what the preference was, not what made sense, or was cheaper, lighter or more suitable for bedroom playing...

The only amp that I have played 50W & 100W side by side is my VM 2266 and 2466 heads through the 425a cab... the answer is 100W and its not even close.

not. even. close.

Now.. do they make sense?.. hell fk no... When i play the 2466 do i care?.. hell fk no. Should I have a 100W amp for the basement? hell fk no. Do i care ?.. hell fk no..

etc etc.. ad nauseum. lol

ampeq

Reaction score
It's never been about the power, or how loud the amp will go for me. I'v always managed to be loud enough with 50 or 100w amps. If your running through the PA or using a mic 5w is probably enough. Also British type amps seem to be much louder than most American amps. I remember getting my first Carvin amp, 100w from that thing was about twice as loud as my Fenders. My thought's about the 50w vs 100w is only for tone & feel. In my experience, if both amps are the same and one is 50w and one is 100w, chances are the 100w amp will sound better to me.

Latest posts