Whats your preference 50 Watt or 100 Watt?

• Thread starter 1956tvmodel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Donny

Reaction score
I'd love to hear the 100W people explain how they get power tube distortion from their 100W Marshall amps without playing in a stadium, private open range plains, island, recording studio with a soundproof room exclusive for amp use. I'd also like to know why they aren't puking up everywhere when the volume goes above the 12 O'clock position. How they can hear anything with the earbuds in their ears. How they deal with the instrument vibrating and pickups resonating everything.

Look where this first guy has to stand to play the guitar.

Does it sound better? What's going on is a lot of fun for like the only time all of these fairly popular guitarists have done this in the entire careers as musicians.

This is for 1960s, 1970s, sound venues that don't have in-house sound systems. After the 1980s that simply stopped happening. Cabs got mics and the sound venues thousand Watt systems took over the venue.

We all go to gigs in pubs and small music halls. The 100W JCM800 comes out and sounds like a big fuzzy oversaturated mess. Mud. Always. They dial back the volume to levels they can manage which makes their tone clean up a bit but the reason for owning the 100W JCM800 is gone. The answer to this problem is 50W and below. Simple as that. Or you get a load box and it's not going to be all that different from the 50W.

I think it's great some 100W Marshall owners can do all that high volume stuff. It's amazing. However, those well-known guitar players obviously don't. Famous musicians on stage with stacks of those from the 70s and 80s probably did it but not today they don't.

I like the clean 100 watt sound. I thought the 100s were only 3db louder.

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
I like the clean 100 watt sound. I thought the 100s were only 3db louder.

50W is very loud. 100W is very loud plus. The OP is asking which to go for, 50W or 100W. If it was any wattage I would say 20W is plenty.

The problem is one of comfort. Power tube distortion is important with most Marshalls and is why many of us have them. Achieving that break up at a lower volume helps. Then there is the volume of air coming from the 2x12 or 4x12 that causes physical discomfort along with the large surface of air shaking things. Many 50W amps can work with a 1x12. Doing a 100W Marshall with a 1x12 pretty much leaves you with solid-state combos. It is all about what most people can actually do. 50W is still very loud! That is why you have the studio series of JCM800s and Plexis at 20W ratings. They are also still very loud.

chronos1701

Reaction score
Since the question is about preference, I prefer 100W over 50W. Sounds fuller and more powerful with a greater ability to move more air. Much more fun to play.

However, once we start talking about volume, weight, difficulty overdriving the power section, and burning 4 tubes instead of 2, that changes everything.

jmp45

Reaction score
The 1959 is the go to. Lately having fun with the 8100, it really surprised me.

studio_202012094B.jpg

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man you anti 100 watters are missing the point.
I don't know anyone that dimes a 100w amp every time they use it nor do i know anyone that dimes a 20-30w amp every time they use it either, so the too loud argument is pointless as they can all be too loud.

I do not subscribe to the power tube distortion is king philosophy. IMO it sounds like total dog shit. If all these famous recordings from the past were all power tube distortion then i must be doing something wrong because when i try it it's awful. More likely it's the PI that is clipping that alludes to that hallowed tone. That said since most modern amps use some form of preamp design to produce the desired distortion effect wouldn't it make more sense to have a power amp that has enough headroom ( clean amplification power) to not color the sound from the preamp unless driven to extreme levels?
Thanks Anitoli, I was trying to craft a response but came across yours. Well said !!!

Bonedaddio

Reaction score
A 100 watter is only 3 dB louder than a 50 watter. If a 100 is too loud for you, believe me, so is a 50 watter.

If your cranked 100 watt full stack is measuring 125 dB on a sound pressure level meter at a specific location in front of the stack, and you replace the head with a 50 watter,
you'll still get 122 dB.

A 5 watt amp in the same speakers would make 112 dB

Totally correct in FACT and recent real world experience: amazing what the SV20H does at 5 watts, had to be heard and seen for me to believe it; that’s with 2 ORI212A cabinets. I’m 70, played out since I was 17, on and off with many amps, Marshall’s as much as possible, nothing else had that sound, nothing quite exactly like them; whenever I could I used one, I did; and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna get another head for that rig. Lightweight, compact, and a spare is always good. Makes me think stereo... oh Lord no! Not THAT again! LOL

Last edited:

AML

Reaction score
The 3dB thing is true. It's hardly any different.

But #1 ... a 100W Marshall played at the same SPL as a 50W Marshall always sounds more 'authoritative'. The mains TX is bigger with thicker wire, the output TX is bigger. The 100Wer will break less of a sweat than 50Wers when you ask them to deliver the same room volume. The dynamics handling cannot be identical.

But #2 ... that same 'no-sweat-authority' may not be what you PERSONALLY find rewarding to play. The different dynamics may work for you. Maybe your own sweetspot needs to hear that sweating? More easily found in a 50Wer (hey, why not try a 25-30Wer and get more of the same?)

But #3 ... none of this really matters if you are doing distortion in stompboxes and playing at 10W levels (which is what most people do and is already very loud).

(I cleared out a lot of Marshalls over the last few years, but had to keep one of each.)

scottonaharley

Reaction score
I use a Marshall PowerBrake. I keep my master volume settings where I like them (usually the lower one will be on 6 and the higher on 8) and use the PowerBrake to cut the volume to normal levels

Dan Sing

Reaction score
Yes! In all seriousness, if you are getting the tone you want, playing the type of music you want, in the room situation you are in...who cares what the wattage of your amp is? :2c:
Correct. Thus :hmm:why buy then a 100W Plexi at all??? It's like to buy a Ferrari and to drive it then only at 80mph.

Old Punker

Reaction score
...Marshall’s aren’t bedroom amps. That’s not what they were designed for?? ...

The new 20W Marshalls are the perfect bedroom amp. Even without an attenuator I can turn the master volume up to 8 and play aggressive hardcore tunes through a 2x12 with gain maxed while my wife sleeps peacefully in the other room, she doesn't even know I am playing guitar!

Maxwell-Blown-Away-Guy.jpg

Just kidding! :monkey:

Latest posts