Which Amp?

• Thread starter shibbdude89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shibbdude89

Reaction score
Alright guys (and gals), I need some quick advice (next few hours, hopefully): I'm looking at four different heads and don't know which to purchase. I know each has it's pros and cons, price being among them. However, I would like opinions along with a reason behind them as to which one I should pull the trigger on. They are:

JCM900 4100
JVM205H
JVM210H
DSL100H

Thank you!!:wave:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you are after.
What music do you play?
What guitars you use?
Do you gig regularly?
Can you maintain your tube amps?
How much weight are you willing to drag around?

Nevermind Vin, he is an alien.

shibbdude89

Reaction score
It depends on what you are after.
What music do you play?
What guitars you use?
Do you gig regularly?
Can you maintain your tube amps?
How much weight are you willing to drag around?

Nevermind Vin, he is an alien.

I play a wide range of music from bluesy style John Mayer stuff to heavier styles. I'd say that to compare my favorite style of playing to any one band would be something likened to Chiodos.

I have Strats, LP's, Explorers, and one Schecter

I don't gig very often at all, but mostly because I moved 1000 miles away recently and the band didn't want to come just because "that company didn't hire US" (those jerks! haha)

I can maintain tube amps. I prefer something that doesn't require daily tinkering, though. Something that will last an average duration with common sense and care.

Weight is never an issue. A truck, a ramp, and a dolly are my three best friends. :naughty:

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I don't have answers but I do have questions:

You don't gig very often at all. Do you plan to? If you're not gigging, then just get what pleases you the most and fits your budget. If you're not gigging it you're not moving it either...unless you move, that is...but the amp is no worse than the bed and furniture.
Are you looking to start a new band? Join a new band? If there's a sound preference there, that's a factor. Rhythm, lead or both?
And most important, do you plan to buy an amp to fit a playlist or buy an amp to create a playlist? Original much? It matters, I think. -Rod-

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought you might ask... And get other opinions, mine is still mine...

JVM is the flagship of Marshall amps. The 210 footswitch does all modes.
The DSL is the next most versatile 2-channel amp.
The 205 is nice, but only 50 watts. Less clean headroom.
The 900 is just too much gain and tinkering to get it to sound good.

shibbdude89

Reaction score
Micky, that helps a lot.

Patriot, to answer your question(s): Mostly right now it's me and a buddy I met up here. Honestly, I'm doing all instruments ATM while he is our vocalist (I'm teaching him bass, but I digress). Everything we do right now is original. I rarely even bother learning covers because my personality puts me in a position that if I play covers too often, I'll get stuck doing those one or two songs because they become comfortable. That's a drawn out way of saying that I'm looking for my own sound.

Ken

Reaction score
Assuming price is not a consideration...what Micky said. Some people like the DSL better than the JVM but the JVM gives you many more options, so it's a matter of what you like.

Considering these 3 choices, how did the 900 even get into the conversation? You might consider one of the JCM 800 amps as they are significantly different, but just as good as the JVM's and DSL, albeit with less tricks in the bag. Lots of people like the simplicity of the 800's and the warm 'old school' rock/metal tone they are famous for.

Ken

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the 900 even available new anymore?

I would have thrown a YJM in the mix as well as an HJS, but that is me...

And stop putting an 'e' in my name. Mickey is a much more important person than I, and I don't wanna be confused with someone so important to the MF.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WnYKo7oCo]DSL and the Marshall Forum - YouTube[/ame]

You don't need the http stuff...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Is the 900 even available new anymore?

I would have thrown a YJM in the mix as well as an HJS, but that is me...

And stop putting an 'e' in my name. Mickey is a much more important person than I, and I don't wanna be confused with someone so important to the MF.

Assuming price is not a consideration...what Micky said. Some people like the DSL better than the JVM but the JVM gives you many more options, so it's a matter of what you like.

Considering these 3 choices, how did the 900 even get into the conversation? You might consider one of the JCM 800 amps as they are significantly different, but just as good as the JVM's and DSL, albeit with less tricks in the bag. Lots of people like the simplicity of the 800's and the warm 'old school' rock/metal tone they are famous for.

Ken
They are a bit pricey. I traded in my JCM 900 combo but it seems they are making a come back.
Marshall JCM900 4100 100-Watt 2-Channel Tube Head | Sweetwater.com
You can use them live , they have some punch but they don't make good practice amps unless you have a very large room. I wonder if the new ones have the awesome reverb the originals had ?

And of course the 900 are very bright sounding. I agree it falls below the 800.
It's funny how the marshall forum utub parody of dsl's is pretty accurate.

I just plugged in to DSL 100h yesterday as I have posted in other threads and the DSL 100h impressed me how it immediately had a great sound on the ultra gain channel

This guy kicks ass on the 900 , not a bad sound. kind of wish there was close up of settings amp shoot out contains several of the amps OP is looking at :
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6cDb9IgTeM[/ame]

I don't know why I want to push this amp but it seems miss understood. this is running a G major and I can hear tones on the jcm 900 slx that are pretty cool. Just sayin.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dqB2--K1c[/ame]

Last edited: