Which cab for metal and blues?

Mika555

Reaction score
What amp will you use with it?
That's a good question.I don't have it yet.
I have tested one that suits perfect. Marshall SV20. With channel 2 I have exactly the tone I want. Not saturated, only clean. Problem is that he have no master volume. That's why I will compare it with some victory amps. V30, V22 or V40

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That's a good question.I don't have it yet.
I have tested one that suits perfect. Marshall SV20. With channel 2 I have exactly the tone I want. Not saturated, only clean. Problem is that he have no master volume. That's why I will compare it with some victory amps. V30, V22 or V40
SC20 has master volume, also has low input for clean. Get the matching 2x12 cab, you can always put V30's in it later if you must but everybody seems to love the stock speakers. :yesway:

Mika555

Reaction score
SC20 has master volume, also has low input for clean. Get the matching 2x12 cab, you can always put V30's in it later if you must but everybody seems to love the stock speakers. :yesway:
I know.... But I don't like the Clean sounds from je SC20....they are clean....but's that's all. I look at something like SV20 with Master.very warm. Victory perhaps

Last edited:

Geeze

Reaction score
I copied Zilla's Fatbaby for an experiment with OS and a EVM12L. So far I like it better than the EV TS-806 cabs.

o0oT2dT.jpg

Russ

ampeq

Reaction score
W

What makes this cab better than another?
Design and high quality materials. They sound great, don’t take up that much room, wheels help for moving around, with reasonable care will last a life time. If you ever did have to sell people want these.

ampeq

Reaction score
I copied Zilla's Fatbaby for an experiment with OS and a EVM12L. So far I like it better than the EV TS-806 cabs.

o0oT2dT.jpg

Russ
Nice job! I like deep cabs, Peavey makes a nice 2-12” one with a V30 & 75w CB I’d like to have. I may end up making something similar to yours along with a head cab for my 2202. I want a small furniture grade mini stack for the living room.

Mika555

Reaction score
By buying at zilla for example...I would go for 1x vintage 30 + another 12" speaker or for a 2x12" V30 version. If I want something more interesting for blues And metal wich speaker could suits good with the V30? Creamback? G12M ? G12H ? Alnico cream?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Back in the late 80s I made my first 1x12 deep body cabinet. Same width as a Mesa Thiele cabinet, but unlike that TS806 design, it's the same height as width. (Square front.) Total depth is 14 inches. Sealed back, ported front via four triangular ports in the front baffle. I made both a straight bottom and an angled top to match it,
loaded them with EVs, and 35 years later they're still my favorite 1x12s. They have a deeper bass response than the Mesa Theile cabinet. (Had one, compared them, like mine better.) Deep cabinets just sound better.

I was basically making the Mesa mini recto 1x12 cabs many years before Mesa started making them. I feel like they owe me royalties, because I DID send them photos and my basic design specs as a product suggestion!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I favor the G12M65 Creamback to pair up with a V30. It sounds like a Greenback with more clarity to the top end.

Latest posts