Which coated acoustic guitar strings?

• Thread starter MajorNut1967
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I need some assistance from your acoustic guitar players. Which coated acoustic guitar strings you guys recommend? The elixirs, exp,,,? My daughter just got a new acoustic guitar and she says she wants the coated strings.

Major

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Acoustic 80/20 Bronze with NANOWEB Coating are my only choice Major. Well worth the money. It brought out the detail and sustain in my Takamine and Taylor.

David :cheers:

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Acoustic 80/20 Bronze with NANOWEB Coating are my only choice Major. Well worth the money. It brought out the detail and sustain in my Takamine and Taylor.

David :cheers:

Hey Bro, that's what I got here a Takamine Great info! Thanks mate!

brp

Reaction score
I need some assistance from your acoustic guitar players. Which coated acoustic guitar strings you guys recommend? The elixirs, exp,,,? My daughter just got a new acoustic guitar and she says she wants the coated strings.

Major

I tried the D'addario EXP on my Yamaha a few months ago. They still sound great. I'm really impressed with how "new" they still sound.

I've never tried other coated strings though.

AdamR

Reaction score
I have elixers on mine but they arent as bright sounding as the uncoated strings

Marshallhead

Reaction score
One more vote for Elixirs, I've had a set on for months and although the picking area is getting furry, they're as bright as the day they went on.

Khaos

Reaction score
Ernie Ball's acoustic's are pretty good.
Haven't tried the coated ones, but from what I've tried they're pretty good. Not to bright, not too dark.

Esc

Reaction score
Had a set of Elixirs now for nearly a year with no change in tone. Love em!

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
I have not found a set of coated strings that I can live with. They deaden the tone too much. And for $4 a set (compared to $12 to $15 for coated) I would rather changes them and keep the tone.

JohnH

Reaction score
I use Elixir phosphor bronze, with the nanoweb coating on my acoustic. They are clear and bright long term. The current set have been on since November - on my Maton played occassionally. They are also great on electrics for guitars not played too often - Ive got one that has had the same strings for 5 years and still sounds fine!

Last edited:

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
I use the Elixir Nanoweb on everything I can fit them on. They may not start out as bright as some, but they have great tone and keep it until they die altogether. The brighter string sets loose all that in a couple of days and don't sound as good as the Elixirs do for weeks and months, IMHO.
:cheers: