Which is the best head 20 to 50 W?

Bobby Damit

Reaction score
I find Marshall amps to be very confusing because they have so many different models.
which amp head between 20 to 50 wants is the best?
I like harmonic sustain with gain. I don’t like upper mid to high end I prefer a warmer tone That sounds very full and not thin. Either old or new any models you can recommend?
is there anything that sounds like a Soldano SLO-30? Or better? (Don’t wanna spend 3 grand)
thank you in advance for your reply

Neptical

Reaction score
I'll chime in.
Sounds like you're looking for a DSL. They can be as warm, full and smooth ( compressed) as you want all the while having some nice kerrang-y zing underneath. Cranked with volume and they're monstrous sounding. Speaking of experience with a DSL 50 and DSL 100 heads.

I say this because I have a Dual Rectifier Rev G as well ( relative to the Soldano ) and think this is right up your alley.

jchrisf

Reaction score
Are you playing at home or in a band? At home I'd say a 20 watter is plenty.. actually too much. The DSL is probably a great place to start as @TXOldRedRocker said but in this case I would recommend the 40 or 100 over the 20 because the 20 is missing two modes.. and one is the best mode IMO.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find Marshall amps to be very confusing because they have so many different models.
I like harmonic sustain with gain. I don’t like upper mid to high end I prefer a warmer tone That sounds very full and not thin. Either old or new any models you can recommend?
is there anything that sounds like a Soldano SLO-30? Or better? (Don’t wanna spend 3 grand)
Yes, how loud do you play - keeping up with a hard-hitting drummer?
I don't play with a band, and I like 20w-ish single channel amps because I can crank them.

The couple amps I have can sound very different, or they can sound very similar.
All those knobs usually do something, and a few pedals can make drastic changes to your tone.

I'd have to agree with the DSL recommendation for a good multi-purpose amp.
What is best is highly subjective, so try a few if you can, and see what sounds best to YOU.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you playing at home or in a band? At home I'd say a 20 watter is plenty.. actually too much. The DSL is probably a great place to start as @TXOldRedRocker said but in this case I would recommend the 40 or 100 over the 20 because the 20 is missing two modes.. and one is the best mode IMO.

Actually, I didn't say anything.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Based on your description, I'd day a mini Jubilee. The tone is more focused on lower mids, rather than upper mids. The diode clipping produces a smoother distortion in the "Rhythm Clip" mode. Next in line might be a 2266 (50w Vintage Modern), which has a "rounder" tone than say, a JCM 800.

Last edited:

Bobby Damit

Reaction score
Yes, how loud do you play - keeping up with a hard-hitting drummer?
I don't play with a band, and I like 20w-ish single channel amps because I can crank them.

The couple amps I have can sound very different, or they can sound very similar.
All those knobs usually do something, and a few pedals can make drastic changes to your tone.

I'd have to agree with the DSL recommendation for a good multi-purpose amp.
What is best is highly subjective, so try a few if you can, and see what sounds best to YOU.
Thank you for the DSL recommendation, I’ll check out some YouTube videos.
currently I just play in my living room my wife’s a drummer and we muffled her kit.
But I would like something that would be suitable for small clubs. I do like to crank the amps to work them harder because they come alive but also keeping a lower overall stage volume.

Bobby Damit

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell me what do you mean by a mode?
is it a switch that adds more gain? How does the 40 sound living room level?
I currently only play with a drummer but look forward to working with a band again in the near future. If you could only have one amp which model would it be? Marshall or otherwise

Bobby Damit

Reaction score
Based on your description, I'd day a mini Jubilee. The tone is more focused on lower mids, rather than upper mids. The diode clipping produces a smoother distortion in the "Rhythm Clip" mode. Next in line might be a 2266 (50w Vintage Modern), which has a "rounder" tone than say, a JCM 800.
Thank you very much for your reply it is very helpful.
Your mini Jubilee description does sound more in the lines of what I’m looking for. Lower mids and smooth distortion sounds great.
does the 2266 sound good living room volume? I currently play with just a drummer we have the kit muted. But I do look forward to playing small clubs in the near future
thanks again for your wonderful information

Bobby Damit

Reaction score
I'll chime in.
Sounds like you're looking for a DSL. They can be as warm, full and smooth ( compressed) as you want all the while having some nice kerrang-y zing underneath. Cranked with volume and they're monstrous sounding. Speaking of experience with a DSL 50 and DSL 100 heads.

I say this because I have a Dual Rectifier Rev G as well ( relative to the Soldano ) and think this is right up your alley.
Thank you for your reply,
Does the DSL 50 also sound good at living room volume? I currently only play with a drummer who has a muted kit but look forward to playing small clubs in the future.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
What you describe is the Jubilee, they have a 25 watt and a 100 watt, in head or combo, take your pick.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at the DSL 20hr. Can’t believe it’s only 799 at Sweetwater. Why so cheap?
Not made in UK - They are assembled in Vietnam.
Very versatile amp - and can be had for even less used.
Clean channel with a favorite pedal does just about anything you want.
EQ in the loop adds even more tonal versatility.
I run mine through a little stack of MX112's.
1664802931048.png

Last edited:

jchrisf

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell me what do you mean by a mode?
is it a switch that adds more gain? How does the 40 sound living room level?
I currently only play with a drummer but look forward to working with a band again in the near future. If you could only have one amp which model would it be? Marshall or otherwise
On the DSL40 and 100 there is two channels with two modes. I'm talking about the current versions. With the 20 and below there is only two channels and you can't switch modes within the channel. So on the 40/100 the 1st channel has a clean and crunch mode. The 1st channel on the 20 is just clean. Probably sounds great with a pedal though.

40CR
  • 2 channels — Classic Gain and Ultra Gain
  • Each channel features two modes — Clean/Crunch and OD1/OD2, respectively

20CR
2 channels — Classic Gain and Ultra Gain