• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

which variac?

• Thread starter ricksconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
-no- you don't start at zero and work your way up,... put it at what ya want to run your amp(s) at and leave it,.... to be honest it doesn't sound like you need one,... I use mine as a tone shaping device...

-ebay-$75-with a meter,.. it was a bench model that I made rack mountable... you really don't need to do anything inside,... use the big knob with set it at the desired voltage...

ok i had called my old amp tech and he mentioned to me to get one before i
hit the switch on some of my older unuse heads. they have been setting for 20 yrs or more.
said i should bring the up slowly to keep from breaking **** by just plugging it in and hitting the switch to full power. we are talking about the same thing here right??
so why would i not need one SG?

ricksconnected

Reaction score
This attach below, at a proper VA rating, meaning big enough one to supply your equipment. And with the ground disconnected from the secondary side.

A variac to supply it, a GFCI to plug your variac into.

I know it says boat, but thats not the point.

i have GFCI's in the house already for my reef aquariums.

Steeveejay

Reaction score
I form up new caps with a current limiter i made with a couple of Edison sockets wired in series . i can vary the limiting by using 20 ,40 ,or 60 watt INCANDESCENT bulbs.
cant use Led's or anything else .. Before you re form old electro's , check them with an ESR meter first. When the electrolyte in a cap deteriorates , the Equivalent Series Resistance goes up . worth a Google.