• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Which would have a better build quality ?

• Thread starter Timmy51
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy51

Reaction score
A Marshall Class 5 or a Fender Pro Jr. ?

I’m thinking about getting one or other for a clean pedal platform at relatively lower volumes. Looking for something that’ll go the distance with few trips to the tech. Something that’ll bounce around in the back of a car without worrying. I honestly don’t feel that either one is that well built, but if you had to choose.

I guess a Origin 20 could be considered also. Bare bones, no bells and whistles.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I’d say Pro Jr just based on the number of them out there

Timmy51

Reaction score
That’s what I was leaning towards. I think it’ll be fine. As good as anything I suppose.

Cold Shot

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Class 5, but my Hot Rod Deville is made in the same factory as the Pro Junior (I think) and it's bulletproof. And Mexican, which is poo-poo'd by the cork sniffers out there. I don't care, though. It's a wonderful amp.

Brek

Reaction score
I would say the class 5 if build quality is the overriding requirement, but not the mk1, isn’t this missing the point? Surely it’s the sound you want to concentrate on? Having owned both I would use the FBJ as a pedal platform.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Any amp with a modern PCB configuration and which employs the use of transistors, is a piece of crap to me anymore.
Also, no more combo amps, because they all rattle and buzz at some point of volume, and they have the inherent design flaw of housing extremely hot tubes vertically below soldered circuits.

Timmy51

Reaction score
I would say the class 5 of build quality is the overriding requirement, but not the mk1, isn’t this missing the point? Surely it’s the sound you want to concentrate on? Having owned both I would use the FBJ as a pedal platform.

It’s normally the sound, tone that I would concentrate on, but in this case I’m just looking for a good pedal platform amp. Almost something with a neutral tone. Like a tube power amp.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
It’s normally the sound, tone that I would concentrate on, but in this case I’m just looking for a good pedal platform amp. Almost something with a neutral tone. Like a tube power amp.

i use a carvin 100 watt half stack for this.

Timmy51

Reaction score
Any amp with a modern PCB configuration and which employs the use of transistors, is a piece of crap to me anymore.
Also, no more combo amps, because they all rattle and buzz at some point of volume, and they have the inherent design flaw of housing extremely hot tubes vertically below soldered circuits.

I’d take a head in the Marshall. Fender doesn’t make a PJ head though.

Timmy51

Reaction score
i use a carvin 100 watt half stack for this.

That’ll work. I don’t think I need 100 though, but that’s the idea I’m after.

I only mention the Fender and Marshall because they’re pretty inexpensive and quite easily available.

Timmy51

Reaction score
Trying to stay around the $400 price range.

I hate mentioning people that I don’t know. Lol. Hopefully he shows.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Trying to stay around the $400 price range.

I hate mentioning people that I don’t know. Lol. Hopefully he shows.

lol dont worry about it. we are ALL here for the same reasons, to learn, to help,
and to crack jokes. you wanna keep it simple and make it work, Alvis is the go-to man.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
they say the blues jr is a great pedal amp. i have one but have only
ever ran a OD through it. it did sound nice.