• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Who can tell me more about thiMarshall cabin with 2 orange colored Celestion speakers

• Thread starter paulvanhorn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paulvanhorn

Reaction score
I've been a guitarist from Holland for many years, mostly as an amateur, just a couple of years as a professional. At the 'top' of my career, say the around '83 I had found my ultimate set: A Hiwatt Custom 100 (Type AP Model nr DR 103, serial no 3360) and a Marshall cab.

For some time now I have been looking for answers about the Hiwatt (1972) on the internet. I also tried to get answers about the history of the Marshall, but still haven't had clear answers.
Some suggested:

Type 1972 of type 2196 or it could be a cab for a PA system that Jim Marshall made.
Description of the cab:
2 speakers 12inch, a kind of reflex system, don't know 4 or 8 ohm.... Together with the Hiwatt it produces a great low, wide sound that perfectly matches with the crispy sounds of the Hiwatt and a Fender Lead II. (sorry if Marshall adepts feel offended that I don't use a M. amplifier).

It has 2 orange speakers:

Made in England
by Rola Celestion Ltd.
for
Jim Marshall Products

CJ26X
T2342

each 8 Ohm (by the way, which ohm should I switch my amplifier? 4, 8 or 16?)

The inside is some sort of reflex system. I'll post the photos on the dedicated blog

Hope someone of you has some knowledge about the speakers/cabin

thanks
Paul

Last edited:

damienbeale

Reaction score
Re: Who can tell me more about thiMarshall cabin with 2 orange colored Celestion spea

Definitely NOT a guitar cab, that's for sure. Dr Decibels info on the Celestion site may help with speaker info.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Re: Who can tell me more about thiMarshall cabin with 2 orange colored Celestion spea

Whoa, Dame, don't be so quick.

I recall plugging into a box not unlike that in Newcastle about 2 years back. That one was a Marshall for sure.

I'll ask about.

cheers,

Matt.

george76

Reaction score

T2342 is a G12/50 model, they have a 2" coil, and are for bass or PA. not guitar speakers.

they also made some G12/50's with yellow frames instead of red, but i dont know what significance the paint job has.

these are usually fairly flat sounding speakers when used with guitar, with not much 'character' to the tone.

usually find them in wedge monitors and things like that.

the date code 'CJ' is March 1976.

paulvanhorn

Reaction score

Gearge, thanks. I've put some better photos on the dedicated blog. Bass or PA. Someone in Holland also referred to PA.
Of course I cannot agree about the 'not much character'sound! hahaha.
With the Hitwatt Custom 100 it sounds great. Massive, probably thanks to the construction of the cabinet perhaps…?

at a Dutch forum someone suggests it's a cabin for organ or bass. He thinks It could be a '2045' (?). According to him there was a 'lead', 'organ' and 'bass' version…

I am enjoying this search about the cabin by the way.

cheers
Paul

paulvanhorn

Reaction score

I got some info from Celestion (John Sanchez):

'Okay, this is a G12-50 from the mid 70’s. This is the ‘bass’ version with a 2” coil, cloth edged cone and aluminum dustcap.
The G12-50 is limited to 50W due to materials used in the coil but sensitivity will be similar at around 97-98dB.
This is a primarily based on a PA speaker. Not quite sure why Marshall would use this. Maybe keyboards?'

Well, that's something. Pa or keyboards?
Should I go to some keyboard players forum with this one? haha.

Anyway, PA or keyboards, seems plausible.

Paul

metromutt

Reaction score

Hi Paul, I think your cab could be a 2064 or 2065 I've got an old marshall brochure somewhere and I remember those were front loaded cabs, removable baffle and a 4x12 proportion.
Marshall had a habit of selling cab/amp set ups as Lead, Bass and Organ applications and in the early years the speakers themselves crossed over well with the guitar but in the mid 70's and on these G12 50's and the powercell range were more bass and organ focused BUT this is all down to personal taste and if you're pleased with the tone then that's a win win situation.
I'll see if I can find the brochure pics, I think the 2065 was a 1x15?

Marshall74brochure_zps18554095.jpg

This is a 1974 brochure so I'm guessing marshall changed the spec of the 2064 from the single 12" speaker to two later? also I'm not sure of the difference with the 2064 and the 2064B ? (the 2065 which also has a screw fit front baffle has a single 15" speaker).
If I find out any more I'll post it here, hope it helps.

Last edited:

paulvanhorn

Reaction score

Metromutt

Looking forward to your input. I don't know much about the 2064/2065.
Please check the dedicated blog that I made about the cabinet.
marshall

I've registered for the Organ Forum. Still on review, but hope there's someone there who can tell me more. Or perhaps there's a Bass forum where I should go? Or PA Forum?

Looking forward
Paul

paulvanhorn

Reaction score

Metromutt

The 2064/65 are close. However, I think the corners of there are more squarish than mine. The cabin I have has more round corners. On top op the lower one, there are four spots to prevent the top one from movie. I do have similar 4 spots.
Perhaps they later replaced 1 speaker for 2?

Great to see those old cabinets! The 2052!

At the organ forum someone posted this clip form Deep Purple.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEjkhb4QTNE]Deep Purple - Mandrake root mark 2 - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
It looks like Jon Lord uses a 1990...

thanks for sharing

metromutt

Reaction score

This guy has got one of the checkerboard 2064 before marshall changed the grill cloth to black in 1975/6 ish (UK not US) like yours...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/spacegrass/2121.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/spacegrass/2122.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/spacegrass/2123.jpg

Marshall may of changed the model number for the 2x12 version but I'm thinking the 2x12 is still the same 2064.

Here's another guy with a Fawn tolex one the same as yours...
Sidekick wedding band blog - Project: Speaker cab renovation

paulvanhorn

Reaction score

The link with the Project: speaker cab renovation (why renovate? It is perfect!!!!! Just buy one with 4 speakers!) is the same as the one I have. I agree the toolex comes off easily… By the way, looking at his cab I would think it is a top. Mine is probably the bottom one.

I've found another guy who wants to sell his cab. Devotion Recording in Boston, a music studio with lots old stuff.
Pictures: here

He writes
'I own too many cabs! For sale (Boston area) $500/B.O. Ultra rare 1974-ish over sized Marshall 2x12. Yup it's ported, big low end. Has a 74' Rola Celestion T2324 (shown) & an older Vintage 30 in it. Bought from Campstreet Studios and used it on a bunch of records. Need floorspace so it must go.'
and
'I believe this is a rare extension cab to Marshalls "Lead & Bass" combo 73'. Chapter 9 according to wikipedia.'

At another forum there was also a question about the red celestion speakers. Someone came up with this: Celestion Date Codes
Funny, an other responds with: 'Also another telltale indicator of the aluminum dustcaps will be a horrible icepick style treble from the speaker when directly in the fireline of the VC.' He is quite right on that. hahaha!

Actually, at this Marshallforum there was a question about the red celestion about 1 year ago. No answers there.
http://www.marshallforum.com/cabinets-speakers/38484-celestion-t-2324-a.html

Anyway, I am now convinced it isn't just a DIY cab where someone threw two speakers in. It looks like an official Marshall!

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America

I am pretty sure that is a Marshall PA cabinet.
Marhsall had front loaded horn cabinets at that time.
The 2043 was the 2x12 as you have.
The 2047 came in either 1x12 or 1x10 floor monitor style.
The 12" speakers were T2324 types from what I had seen.

These are not seen very often.

matthewdean1976

Reaction score

HI I have the same cab but in much cleaner condition and a 69 super 100 PA head. I purchased the PA head about 10 years before picking up the Cab. The PA head is wider than any standard marshall guitar cab. This cab is exactly the same width as the PA head and a little deeper it also has a fully enclosed back That punches you in the face. It sounds great with guitar I have a set of transition Green backs that I plan to put in it to see if it changes the tone but I am happy with the red speakers also. There is a lot of bottom end which suits me fine.

Cheers

Matt

damienbeale

Reaction score

The PA head is wider than any standard marshall guitar cab.

It shouldn't be. The Super PA is in the same headcab as a superlead, but with a wider cutout in the front panel. It should be the same width as a 1960 cab.

metromutt

Reaction score

Matt, don't put the greenbacks in, they'll not handle the power from the amp if you turn it up. I'd even take it easy with the two 50watters that are already in there.

Post pics of the '69 super pa if you get a chance, would be nice too see.

tubetonez

Reaction score

Dragging up an old thread....out of curiosity, I've been searching the Net for info about an old cab I had back in the 80's......I think it was a basket weave, I had another 1960a slant basket weave that the grill cloth was shredded on, I did both with black. This bottom cab was the same general design as the one pictured in this thread, however the speakers were mounted vertically. I don't remember what they were, i was young and dumb at the time. The cab looked pretty old back then when I got it.

Anyone have a clue?

mattoreg

Reaction score

So I just picked up one of these cabs. One of my speakers, (the same red framed, marshall logoed as pictured above) is damaged and not functioning. How difficult is it going to be to find one of these? Anyone know where one is for sale?

BowerR64

Reaction score

That cabinet design looks badass, i dont understand why they dont make cabinets this way.

I myself would prefer something smaller and more efficient like this design.

That one looks really boomy but for guitar it wouldnt have to be that big.

Namkrad

Reaction score

Bringing this thread back from the dead :D

I got one off those when I bought my JPM. My friend, a tech, and myself always thought of it as a keyboard cab.
We totally slaughtered it as I wanted a 4x12. Hey, I was young...
It wasn´t done very nicely but it sounds really great. In fact another musician friend who´s played about everything thinks it sounds "magical".
He came over with two guitars he just bought, strats with HB´s and floyds, and really ripped :shred:
The he went home and thought they sucked through his cab, so he sold them :hmm:
I got the serial number if that helps trying to identify it.

Never got before pix, but it looked like the one in metromutt´s links.

Now it looks like this.

These are original.

And these are reissues I bought in about 1992, when this cab was rebuilt. Thanx Anders T :applause:

Latest posts