who digs KT77s in their JMP?...

• Thread starter shooto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shooto

Reaction score
this guy! :woot:

nice change from the vanilla EL34...don't get me wrong though, EL34s have their thing...maybe I just listen to to much of them...so it is very...vanilla-

77s are a little less output, a little rougher/grainy-er (think superlead/plexi) and a whole lot more 3D-ish

what a nice different flavor

....they and my transformers are doing fine too

win

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Got them in my DSL for a win! My observation is they lower the compression accentuating the mids and add a bigger bottom end.

mott555

Reaction score
Can an EL34 amp run KT77s without modifications? If so I may have to try them sometime. I like Plexi sounds (especially early VH), and the more Plexi-like my DSL can get, the happier I'll be.

shooto

Reaction score
I wondered about this, got any clips/video ?

My tech said to switch from 34's to 77's just for the sake of doing it isn't really pragmatic. :scratch:

I've thought about making a recording...but I don't know if it would come across well....it is not a terribly drastic change, like going from a 12ax7 to a 5751 or something, but it is definitely noticeable and pleasing...less compression, more open and accentuated lows and highs...but still have that EL34 growl

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
I wondered about this, got any clips/video ?

My tech said to switch from 34's to 77's just for the sake of doing it isn't really pragmatic. :scratch:

dan, if you look for something between a 6550 and an EL34, these are your ticket... glassy and powerful like a 6550, rich and harmonical like an EL34
some people think they're too sterile, but they've never drove the shit out of them... i know you will :)

these tubes sound at their best with fairly high plate voltage, imo...

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
well this is how they sound like, when you drive them real hard...
please note, that one of the valves is dying here... this was because i was using an attenuator at the time, that totally f#cked up the overall impedance, eventually resulting in screen overdissipation... this is my JVM 410H running in clean green with all controls maxed out...
first part is with the attenuator, second part without it

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lH0uflkGs8]KT77 at the verge of death - YouTube[/ame]

shooto

Reaction score
well this is how they sound like, when you drive them real hard...
please note, that one of the valves is dying here... this was because i was using an attenuator at the time, that totally f#cked up the overall impedance, eventually resulting in screen overdissipation... this is my JVM 410H running in clean green with all controls maxed out...
first part is with the attenuator, second part without it

KT77 at the verge of death - YouTube

yep- that's what they sound like...great crunch with clean....glorious with gain

paul-e-mann

Reaction score