Who here has HAD a “Plexi”…

• Thread starter V-man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FlightWolf

Reaction score
I picked up a 1987x about 10 years ago and it has been my go to amp since. I use it with a 1960a cab with vintage 30's. Someone had installed a master volume in one of the output holes in the back which I wasn't sure about when I bought it but love it now. I've also got a 4210 (JCM 800) that I bought new around 1982. Lately I've been going back and forth between the two. The 1987 works well for most classic rock and when I need more growl, I use the 800.

deee

Reaction score
That is to say a Marshall (50-100w NMV Superlead, or a small watt variant, i.e. SV) or has had some plexi-derived amp from another builder or kit, and you now no longer have anything in the vein of the “plexi” with any plans to remedy that situation by getting some such amp in the future?

a person Never having had one with no plans to try one, I get. Having had one with no plans to return ever absolutely fascinates me. Having gone there, I don’t think I could fathom being without one indefinitely. If you are that person, why, and what have you gone off to instead?
they are obviously quality amps that have stood the test of time and are loved by many, but they are not my sound. i play a fender twin and a jtm 45. a friend has a 'modern' plexi aka a marshall 100wat all tube amp tube with with 6000 knobs on it, and he can get fantastic sounds. but the 'original' plexi circuit design isn't to my liking. that goes for 50 and 100 watt versions. i've had my jtm 45 set with el 34's and came back to 6l6 tubes. so, i'm not an el 34 fan

ronald a aguiar

Reaction score
That is to say a Marshall (50-100w NMV Superlead, or a small watt variant, i.e. SV) or has had some plexi-derived amp from another builder or kit, and you now no longer have anything in the vein of the “plexi” with any plans to remedy that situation by getting some such amp in the future?

a person Never having had one with no plans to try one, I get. Having had one with no plans to return ever absolutely fascinates me. Having gone there, I don’t think I could fathom being without one indefinitely. If you are that person, why, and what have you gone off to instead?
I had a 50 Watt 1968 and a 100 watt 1967 a few years ago I picked up a 1973 100 that was equal to the 100 watt from 67. The 50 watt sounded like crap through every cabinet I tried until I form an old pine cabinet that had a single 15" Alter and that was the magic for that amp- go figure

Salty Rose

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that 1987x is up to 3 large at Sweetwater and the 1959HW is $3900 .The cost difference is significant, unless we are talking new SV vs finding a good deal on a used 50/100 NMV.

But yep, if you are going to attenuate anyway, might as well get a big boy amp.
They are getting expensive!

I have a 2245 (from 1995), a 1987x (1998), and a 1959SLP (1994). I use them with a Marshall PB100. I bought all this stuff used.

I had a 2061x half stack that sounded glorious:hbang:. Wasn’t loud enough for some shows though, and I smoked the trannies twice.

For rock n roll, my go-to, as long as there are no stairs involved:rofl:
4324803C-D890-4950-BFF7-E8147769040C.jpeg
There were stairs here, but we had help from these super cool stage hands.

Moony

Reaction score
4324803C-D890-4950-BFF7-E8147769040C.jpeg

Great guitar choice!

These are mines:

proxy.phpimagehttps3aouku4.jpg

proxy.phpimagehttps3a81jbd.jpg
proxy.phpimagehttps3av9jkk.jpg

:h5:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Not sure you are in the minority here. Starting fresh, they may be the best option for the player’s jam space given the room size and cost, but they don’t seem to offer much of a solution for one who already has a large amp. Modern attenuation offers tons of options and features to make a 50-100w amp more usable than the 20w at all volume levels for a fraction of the price.

In fact, Many 20 NMV users are buying attenuation anyway making the cost savings between rigs literally a couple hundred dollars apart (new SV $1,700 vs 50/100w starting out in the 2ks).

Agree. The whole point was to be able to turn it up. I never had a reason to attenuate a 20 watt. Kind of an in between amp. Loud enough but had nothing left.

I guess my minority feeling status is being one of the few who had a Studio Plexi but ended up walking away later and going back to a bigger amp.

Moony

Reaction score
I guess my minority feeling status is being one of the few who had a Studio Plexi but ended up walking away later and going back to a bigger amp.

You are not the only one.
I see that every now and then.
Here's an offer from a professional German guitarist > Klick <

He says in his offer: "Brauche aber 50-100 Watt ;)" which means "But I need 50-100 watts"

Everyone should try and find out if 20W is enough.
The bigger amps are still not obsolete.

SharkSandwich

Reaction score
They are getting expensive!

I have a 2245 (from 1995), a 1987x (1998), and a 1959SLP (1994). I use them with a Marshall PB100. I bought all this stuff used.

I had a 2061x half stack that sounded glorious:hbang:. Wasn’t loud enough for some shows though, and I smoked the trannies twice.

View attachment 110541
There were stairs here, but we had help from these super cool stage hands.

Beautiful

Salty Rose

Reaction score
Agree. The whole point was to be able to turn it up. I never had a reason to attenuate a 20 watt. Kind of an in between amp. Loud enough but had nothing left.

You are not the only one.
I see that every now and then.
Here's an offer from a professional German guitarist > Klick <

He says in his offer: "Brauche aber 50-100 Watt ;)" which means "But I need 50-100 watts"

Everyone should try and find out if 20W is enough.
The bigger amps are still not obsolete.
I never attenuated my 20 watt 2061x half stack, always ran it flat-out. And it sounded great that way. That thing was the voice of the gods. But I saw smoke (literally) come out of it twice when it blew.

The last straw was playing a nightclub, and the FOH guys tells me, “you need to turn up a little bit”. But I was already maxed out:shock:

I like more power for rock. But I can dig the appeal of the 20’s, because I LOVE light weight guitars and amps.

kisschicken

Reaction score
The JMP 1C is better imo . Listen to the tone of that model below , it's awesome .

Maybe. I didn't know anything at the time I bought the JTM1C. I had just started guitar and told the Guitar Center salesman I wanted to sound like Jimi Hendrix in my bedroom. This is what he sold me.

I still don't sound like Jimi Hendrix but it's not the amp's fault.

jimipaf

Reaction score

had a '68 50 watt Plexi that was putting out 82 watts. It was loud! I also had a '69 50 watt metal panel that was putting out 42 watts. It had the exact same tone as Hendrix's Voodoo Chile from Electric Ladyland that Steve Winwood played organ on.