Who influenced you?

• Thread starter Supernova
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Supernova

Reaction score
Plain and simple. Who influenced you? Who made you want to pick up and learn guitar (apart from chicks). Who's tone have you been searching for? (I know we all have our own tone but you get my drift.)

Post up to 5 links to songs/artists/licks etc. that inspire you the most.

carnada

Reaction score
Iron Maiden.

They were the ones that sparked my guitar interest and I wanted to be able to make that electric sound they had.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend Greg and Kurt cobain oddly enough. I was a singer before i played guitar and i love the power of NIRVANA songs so i wanted to be able to wright better songs than just sing them and i fell in love with guitar and don't really sing anymore lol.

now i play prog/shred/hard rock and metal.

my friend is the one that got me to finaly pick one up though whatching him play live all buttered up in my friends basement party.

chicks were never a reason honestly. I knew taking music seriously was not a chick magent so to speak and honestly women aren't and never have been my priority though i love them of course.

I'm just not all into it like the avg male. asperger's syndrome is a likely part in that.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
CC Deville
Long ago I remember a drunken evening where me and few buddies decided that the PERFECT band would have been...

CC Deville as the guitar player for Motley Crue
We just couldn't dig the stuff that Motley Crue guitarist was doing
and we loved CC's stuff but thought his band was a little bit too "lite"

Anyway: CC Can play

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
I was just kidding dude. CC is a cartoon.

He is an AWESOME cartoon...
He had great tone and cool musical style trapped in a hair band
He out played 75% of the "serious" rock guitarists of his era

And

Based on the posted audio clips of you playing - I kinda thought you were serious...

Grunch

Reaction score
He is an AWESOME cartoon...
He had great tone and cool musical style trapped in a hair band
He out played 75% of the "serious" rock guitarists of his era

And

Based on the posted audio clips of you playing - I kinda thought you were serious...

Awwww, look at this butthurt guy trying to take a dig. :lol:

CC woulda been great in a 70's glam or punk band......or a cheesy shitty 80's pop hair fag band. There really was nothing great or cool about him. I think his tone was not bad, but generic at best, and his cool style included looking like a woman - even moreso than the other 80's fags. :applause:

Grunch

Reaction score
Right. :D

For me....
Johnny Ramone
East Bay Ray
Joe Strummer/Mick Jones
Ace Frehley
Angus

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
Awwww, look at this butthurt guy trying to take a dig. :lol:

CC woulda been great in a 70's glam or punk band......or a cheesy shitty 80's pop hair fag band. There really was nothing great or cool about him. I think his tone was not bad, but generic at best, and his cool style included looking like a woman - even moreso than the other 80's fags. :applause:

I don't think you know what that word Butthurt means..?
I can't find any Butthurt in this entire thread - never mind my post

that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-means-princess-bride-mand-demotivational-poster-1260739585.jpg

CaptainZero

Reaction score
A friend of mine got em into it. I played trumpet for years, went to a friends house, tried his guitar, and I was hooked!

Grunch

Reaction score
I don't think you know what that word Butthurt means..?
I can't find any Butthurt in this entire thread - never mind my post

You trying to take a shot at my playing because I tricked you into admitting that you love you some CC. :lol: :lol::applause:

Calm down, it's just jokes.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Oops.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIUL10qOeR8]GIGGS - Look What The Cat Dragged In OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube[/ame]

JAC

Reaction score
Beatles, Cream, CCR, Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Iommi, Alvin Lee, Mark Farner, Santana, Jeff Beck, and at one time as a kid, a band named Grand Funk made me want to take up the guitar. There are too many influences to list them all here!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Jerry Cantrell made me pick up a guitar.

My playing is influenced by Cantrell, Tony Iommi, Dino Cazares, and Jon Schaffer.

As for tones I chase, the one I REALLY seek if Jon's tone on Alive in Athens. Probably THE tightest tone ever.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLArGcgLDGE]Iced Earth - 1999 - Alive In Athens - Stormrider - YouTube[/ame]

I heard a JCM900 with a clean boost can nail his tone, so one day I need to try that. :D