Who Is Using Gfs Pickups?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I got a GFS Vintage 59 humbucker, I haven't been real happy with my Strat so I swapped this pickup in and so far its pretty good for a $35 pickup, better than some of the Dimarzios and Seymour Duncans that have gone through this guitar. This one measures in at 9.10K, its supposed to be a little less hot like 8.5-8.8K but that's ok. Its also a little more brighter than I was expecting but not too terrible, I get good tones clean and dirty, I can put a lot of gain on it too and it can handle it. Its an alnico 5, I really wanted an alnico 2 but they don't offer the 2 in white so I went for this one. So far I have no real complaints, not bad for a cheap pickup.

Is anybody else using GFS? I'm real curious now about the rest of their pickups, I'd like to try the Fat Pat, Crunchy Pat, VEH and the Pro Series Alnico II. Anybody have these humbuckers?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized_c_578.html

johnfv

Reaction score
I like the VEH. It's not really all that hot, more like PAF style.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Sorry Paul, the VEH is the only full size humbucker of theirs I have tried.
They say the VEH bottom end is very big- incredible on thinner sounding guitars. Did you experience this?

johnfv

Reaction score
To me it sounds like a good balanced PAF style tone, I don't notice the low end being particularly "big". I have a couple of them, mostly used in Strats but had one in my MM LP for a while too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
To me it sounds like a good balanced PAF style tone, I don't notice the low end being particularly "big". I have a couple of them, mostly used in Strats but had one in my MM LP for a while too.
Do you like the Dimarzio 36th Anni better? Or same?

wakjob

Reaction score
I have a set of Mean 90's in my LTD-256.
I think they are fantastic for a HB sized p90.

Maybe not as good as the real p90 Lollar pu's
I've tried, but a wicked good approximation.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
You know what I'm gonna say... Why not try an A2 in the one you have?
Youre right why didnt I think of that! That must be why you get paid the big bucks :yesway:

Wheres a good place to get a good one, I think Mojotone sells them.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Youre right why didnt I think of that! That must be why you get paid the big bucks :yesway:

Wheres a good place to get a good one, I think Mojotone sells them.

Mojotone is cool, or if you want to get one cheaper a friend of mine that winds his own pickups recommended this to me. http://stores.ebay.com/addictionfxguitarandsound/

I haven't bought from there yet, but I trust the guy that gave me the link.

Last edited:

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I've tried 2 sets. The mean 90's which I have in a cheapo Epi LP, they're ok. They are very dark and seem too "hot" for a single coil but they do get some of that p90 mojo.

The other set I had was the power rails which are supposed to be a super aggressive pup but they were weak and sounded bad. I'm really not a fan and I don't think that I'll order from them again.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
I didn't care for the VEH. too much bass. The power rails and crunchy rails are both good cheap high gainers, but not good for much except metal.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
What does an A2 do for the JB?

For me , it took away the fuzzy top end of the JB , turned it into a really nice pick up imo .
Lots of players have raved over that mod . I liked the JB to start with , but it made it better all around imo .

It now rests in the bridge of this guitar !

20151006_221219 by [url=https://

Latest posts