• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Whole band revolves around drummers schedule..

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

end user

Reaction score
One of the bands I am in has a drummer that is so busy we have to schedule any types of gigs or rehearsals around his availability. I like the dude, he's a great drummer and the band is probably the best band I have been in as far as tightness and song selection.

Also where I live, drummers are in super short supply. Well let me re-phrase that.."good to great" drummers are in super short supply. I did agree back when we started it that I could live with his limited availability, but lately (as in the last 2 months) his availability has been zippo. I recently had to pass on 3 different offers for good gigs because he was already booked up. It's very frustrating. I don't know about other areas of the USA but out here most places won't call you back if you pass on an opportunity to play there.

We have the best time when we play together whether it's gigs or rehearsals and we all get along so well and our tastes in just about everything align. Being someone who has either formed or been in at least 20 bands in my life, I realize how rare that is.

Yet..

I want to f####ng play!! Especially being retired now I knock my honey-do list out pretty early every day (still up at 4am every day) and spend a good chunk of time perfecting the songs I play with the various bands I am in. The other 2 bands I am in pretty much have a set list of songs and don't ever really stray from them other than the original band will write a song here and there. Those other 2 bands don't really rehearse or gig much either. This band I am talking about we are very dynamic and have the ability to cover a lot of ground from the 60's up to last week. It's about as fun and challenging as a cover band can get.

So to get to the meat of my post. I wish I didn't feel like we need to replace the drummer with someone who has more availability. As I said earlier I did agree that in order to work with this drummer I'd have to understand he has very limited time for it. In all honesty I don't even think the bass player would go for it even if I did pitch it to him. They work together in another project and are locked in pretty tight not just musically.

Just typing out my frustrations I guess. It's therapeutic for me.

How would you handle it? I know the obvious answer but I'd like to hear some others.

end user

Reaction score
Get in another drummer when this guy isn't available? :shrug:

Yeah I know I didn't mention it in my post but I have tried that twice and it didnt go well. I have used subs many times in the past but it didnt work for this project.

trax1139

Reaction score
Yeah...what PelliX said. Just get a fill-in for those gigs when he’s not available. Especially if this is a hobby and not your livelihood.

I had a similar situation with a
drummer about 35 years ago.
I let him go for nearly the same reason and our band went on with a very successful 8 year run as a cover band in St.Louis. He still won’t talk to me to this day.

In another band, the two guitar players were buddies. Both good players, but one just wasn’t quite “there” with what we were doing. I pitched the idea of letting him go and go 3 piece. Reluctantly, the other player agreed if I do the firing. Well, he lost a friend and I feel bad. That was about 10 years ago. Some guys are sensitive about this stuff. I’ve never taken it personally. I’ve been let go before and never thought twice about it.
So, the moral of the story is...be careful and mindful of friendships.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the bands I am in has a drummer that is so busy we have to schedule any types of gigs or rehearsals around his availability. I like the dude, he's a great drummer and the band is probably the best band I have been in as far as tightness and song selection.

Also where I live, drummers are in super short supply. Well let me re-phrase that.."good to great" drummers are in super short supply. I did agree back when we started it that I could live with his limited availability, but lately (as in the last 2 months) his availability has been zippo. I recently had to pass on 3 different offers for good gigs because he was already booked up. It's very frustrating. I don't know about other areas of the USA but out here most places won't call you back if you pass on an opportunity to play there.

We have the best time when we play together whether it's gigs or rehearsals and we all get along so well and our tastes in just about everything align. Being someone who has either formed or been in at least 20 bands in my life, I realize how rare that is.

Yet..

I want to f####ng play!! Especially being retired now I knock my honey-do list out pretty early every day (still up at 4am every day) and spend a good chunk of time perfecting the songs I play with the various bands I am in. The other 2 bands I am in pretty much have a set list of songs and don't ever really stray from them other than the original band will write a song here and there. Those other 2 bands don't really rehearse or gig much either. This band I am talking about we are very dynamic and have the ability to cover a lot of ground from the 60's up to last week. It's about as fun and challenging as a cover band can get.

So to get to the meat of my post. I wish I didn't feel like we need to replace the drummer with someone who has more availability. As I said earlier I did agree that in order to work with this drummer I'd have to understand he has very limited time for it. In all honesty I don't even think the bass player would go for it even if I did pitch it to him. They work together in another project and are locked in pretty tight not just musically.

Just typing out my frustrations I guess. It's therapeutic for me.

How would you handle it? I know the obvious answer but I'd like to hear some others.

He’s doing it for an on the side bit of fun. You’re doing it as a career. You need to find someone else who respects you and the other members of the band, and who is as devoted to music as you. He’s lining his pockets elsewhere at your expense.

trax1139

Reaction score
He’s doing it for an on the side bit of fun. You’re doing it as a career. You need to find someone else who respects you and the other members of the band, and who is as devoted to music as you. He’s lining his pockets elsewhere at your expense.
Oh...if your doing it for livelihood, screw him...all’s fair in love and war! Sorry, I thought this was a group of friends just having fun with the “hobby”!
He ain’t the only drummer in the sea!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It's always the drummer that determines what the band does. Gotta check with his parole officer, see how far he can travel without violating probation terms, what are the range limits on his ankle bracelet, when his next rehab session is....

PelliX

Reaction score
Just record that sh!t, put a metal box with ribbon cables on the stage, and tell your audience you're prototype testing a machine learning neural network AI drummer

Yeah, funny guy. And who is the bass player supposed to make of now, huh? :rofl:

end user

Reaction score
It's always the drummer that determines what the band does. Gotta check with his parole officer, see how far he can travel without violating probation terms, what are the range limits on his ankle bracelet, when his next rehab session is....

LOL. This guy we have here is as straight edge as it gets. I mean if he has a any vice at all he hides it pretty good.

end user

Reaction score
Oh...if your doing it for livelihood, screw him...all’s fair in love and war! Sorry, I thought this was a group of friends just having fun with the “hobby”!
He ain’t the only drummer in the sea!

Well yes and no. I make enough from gigs to pay bills but I don't rely on gig money.