Why all hate for the JCM 900?

• Thread starter NJM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MM54

Reaction score
23006d1252547882-reminder-oh_shit_not_again.jpg

seth

Reaction score
What is the 900 MV? I don't think I ever heard of that one.

me thinks the master volume and dual reverbs are so misunderstood that there is uncertainty as to what models the actually represent.

i may be wrong but here it goes.
the 4XXX series jcm900s are the dual reverbs and they sound pretty good to most ears, not so good to some peoples eyes.

the 2XXX series jcm900s are the master volumes which started out as mkIIIs and then were redesigned with removed diodes and an additional tube and became the slxs. these sound pretty good to most ears as well.

the model #s are pretty simple to decipher, they start with a 4 or 2 telling you the series, then a 1 or 5 representing wattage. then a 00 indicating a head or an 01 or 02 tell you that its a combo and how many 12 inch speakers it has.

a a jcm900 mkIII 2102 would be a 2x12 non slx 100 watt combo with 2 12 inch speakers. i would be very cool and unfortunatly does not exist.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Never tried the JCM 600. They seem like a cool idea though.

JCarno

Reaction score
so...how 'bout those JCM 600's?

They're awesome!!!!!!!
Crank the clean channel volume anywhere past 5 and use MV for loudness and it's comparable to DSL green with clean crunch.
The high gain don't compare at all. Completely different voice.
Yes!!!!....you do need a cooling solution. Everyone knows by now that Marshall screwed up with the design on this and the JTM 30 and JTM 60.
Mine was bought new in 1999 and I have not had a single problem with it. Of course the pots needed a little squirt of deoxit but other than that, she is a peach. :cheers:

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
me thinks the master volume and dual reverbs are so misunderstood that there is uncertainty as to what models the actually represent.

i may be wrong but here it goes.
the 4XXX series jcm900s are the dual reverbs and they sound pretty good to most ears, not so good to some peoples eyes.

the 2XXX series jcm900s are the master volumes which started out as mkIIIs and then were redesigned with removed diodes and an additional tube and became the slxs. these sound pretty good to most ears as well.

the model #s are pretty simple to decipher, they start with a 4 or 2 telling you the series, then a 1 or 5 representing wattage. then a 00 indicating a head or an 01 or 02 tell you that its a combo and how many 12 inch speakers it has.

a a jcm900 mkIII 2102 would be a 2x12 non slx 100 watt combo with 2 12 inch speakers. i would be very cool and unfortunatly does not exist.

Ahhh ok...makes sense. Tks...

NJM

Reaction score
Which 900? Everyone likes the SL-X.

I used a DR in a band for a month in a metal/goth band and was underwhelmed. I found it hard to dial in a creamy sound and it was far too bright. People who like them tend to use lots of effects, jumper the FX loop and play a style of music where icepick clarity enhances what they are doing. I did none of that, so I'm sure in time I could have made it sound better. Plus it's like a 1959 in that if it's not full out, it's not doing much and my 100 watter was far too loud full up.

Again, lots of people like them and maybe you will too. I like an amp that straight guitar sounds great, and the pedals add color to an already great tone. When you need EQ and pedals as a band-aid, I take a pass. I replaced the DR with my DSL and it was a breath of fresh air. Plug and play, but also way more gain, better cleans, gets the 800 vibe, the SL-X vibe and even a poor man's plexi if you tinker enough. The DR couldn't touch it in most areas.

As for the VM, some people prefer other amps but they really rock. It's like a modern version of an early 800. While it may be a solution looking for a problem as the DSL and JVM covers the VM territory and more rather well, it's a well respected great sounding amp.

Ken
I've heard some demos of the SL-X and I did like it. I'm amazed at how cheap either one of these amps are going for. I was thinking of getting some other amp like a jet city or something but I could get one of these for around the same money. Plus I already have a marshall cab and it would look better with an actual marshall sitting on top. I really want a jcm 800 so maybe I'll just hold out. Maybe.

Ken

Reaction score
I really want a jcm 800 so maybe I'll just hold out. Maybe.

I've seen 800 heads sell for $800, but they usually fetch $1k or more depending on age and model, with the early 1980 versions getting the most money. So being patient is a good stratagy if that's the amp you want.

Ken

Latest posts