Why can't I ebonize my fretboard????

• Thread starter PowerTube44
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Or buy another Jackson neck...

By the way @Dogs of Doom that laser thing is cool! I wish I'd had access to one last year.

Russ
they're pretty pricey, for an entry level model ($3500 +/-). They are pretty dangerous, & you need to take a few safety precautions. The fumes can be brutal... You definitely do not want to get skin in the way of fire...

this guy goes through some of the considerations:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started an experiment. I cleaned two sections between frets thoroughly with the lighter fluid. I treated one with the India ink, and the other with Minwax True Black.
Scientific method - step 5: Analysis
So, what were the results of the testing?

V-man

Reaction score
IMG_9229.jpeg

Was med-lt rosewood

Kiwi black leather dye. If any wears from excessive play or cleaning, it takes 5 min to reapply.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Scientific method - step 5: Analysis
So, what were the results of the testing?

I'm about to find out...

EDIT: The Minwax True Black is about 1-2% better than the India ink, but neither are acceptable.

Now to start over and try leather dye.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Trying Kiwi black leather dye now. Good grief. I've stained things before and never dreamed that this would be so fucking difficult.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
told you, it's because the oil is in the pores...

The oil seals/protects the wood. It sees the dye as an invader & it protects the wood from invaders. You have to extract/remove the oil from the wood pores, or it will repel any liquid, including ink, dye, etc.

That's why the laser thing is so awesome. But, McGuire's makes oil finish lifters, but, it's tedious & messy.

there's stuff like this:

V-man

Reaction score
Trying Kiwi black leather dye now. Good grief. I've stained things before and never dreamed that this would be so fucking difficult.

it applies like stain but dries like paint. It can be a bit tacky at first. That will “cure“ -be patient and add a second coat if needed. It also touches up well if any scrapes off during cleaning.

Also, q-tips help clean any stray coverage over inlays.

hsb

Reaction score
Dyes are mostly water, the oils in the board will repel the water in the dye and the dye, stain, etc will not hold.

anitoli

Reaction score
Yes, ebony does look awesome but is the other board material that bad? My V has Granadillio wood which has this orangy color which you don't really associate with a Gibson. Doesn't faze me but the reality is when i am playing it i don't see the FB anyways so it could be any color really.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Yes, ebony does look awesome but is the other board material that bad? My V has Granadillio wood which has this orangy color which you don't really associate with a Gibson. Doesn't faze me but the reality is when i am playing it i don't see the FB anyways so it could be any color really.

Rosewood, in my opinion, looks "okay" on Strats and some other guitars. But on a neck-through Jackson? It's Ebony, Maple, or death.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well, it looks like (knock on wood, pun intended) the Kiwi leather dye is the one that'll do the trick. The one section I did seems to be holding up, so now I've done the whole board with it and letting it dry. I may lay on a second coat after all this trouble.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like (knock on wood, pun intended) the Kiwi leather dye is the one that'll do the trick. The one section I did seems to be holding up, so now I've done the whole board with it and letting it dry. I may lay on a second coat after all this trouble.
:photos: or this is all theoretical. :D

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If you really LOVE this guitar why not have an ebony fretboard installed.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
:photos: or this is all theoretical. :D

As usual, I never think to take any "before" pics. But image the typical, even-brown Rosewood board.

I'll get some shots when it's finished.

V-man

Reaction score

My V has a gran board and if it was not for the very attractive figure, the color would have aggravated me to doing something about it. The fact that it is gradually darkening with oil is enough for me to let it work itself out. Old (dark) rosewood OTOH can blacken. A lot of the 80s explorers make you have to confirm whether it was rosewood or ebony as both were used and it is hard to spot in pics

Then there is the issue of propriety. ”brown” looks better than ebony on natural finishes and certain bursts. But it is downright ugly and cheap on black guitars. The trademark of a Jackson is sharkfin inlays over an ebony board. Nothing says “Piece of shit ‘Fiero kit Ferrari” cheap” like a Jackson with sharkfins over fucking rosewood. TBH, I’d never have gotten it in the first place for that reason… maybe with the lone exception the guitar was both so good, and so good a bargain that I could have the FB replaced for the money saved.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
The trademark of a Jackson is sharkfin inlays over an ebony board. Nothing says “Piece of shit ‘Fiero kit Ferrari” cheap” like a Jackson with sharkfins over fucking rosewood. TBH, I’d never have gotten it in the first place for that reason… maybe with the lone exception the guitar was both so good, and so good a bargain that I could have the FB replaced for the money saved.

This. Brown rosewood just looks "wrong" on a neck-through Jackson. Period. This model typically sells for about $600-700 used, and I got it out the door for $400.00 even. It's the "Yellow Crackle" finish.

It's exactly this one:

1704005333377.png

The only thing I disliked was the brown rosewood fretboard. I knew I could blacken it. I just didn't think it would be quite the hassle it's been.

But it looks like the Kiwi dye is finally doing the trick.