Why do I feel like I need another Telecaster?

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Yes, don't rush into an impulse buy when you're tired and buzzed or you may regret it later.

Yes, then buy another Tele when you have a clear idea of exactly which one you need next.

That's what I needed to hear! And most definitely I learned a lot of past impulse purchases. Usually you regret em sooner or later... well not always, but often :p

IDK a Fishocaster may be cool.......lol

View attachment 140748

I'd totally rock that! Maybe play the Spongebob Squarepants main theme on it hahahaha

you need a telecaster!

26afb1ec34b4b7a7f13b1ef5440a0c42c81660d8.gifv

Ok... just waiting for my next paycheck...

I have 9 telecasters and if I don’t get the bass I’m hoping to get tomorrow, I’ll drown my sorrows in an other telecaster…. not sure if I’ll build one or buy one…

Pfff, who needs basses, just put thicker strings on a baritone Tele!

First things first, I would go straight to the shop where your LP is being built and kick that guy right in the balls, good and hard so he chokes on them. You could be dead and buried before that thing is done! Then go and buy the Gibson LP of your dreams and that Tele. :yesway:

Yeah the wait has been a pain in the ass, lots of shit happening during the pandemic and he had some hardships but I also smell a lot of BS and excuses on his site... I paid him a visit and told him I'm done with the wait, he promised it's gonna be done before christmas... we'll see.

I know his guitars and they sound amazing, but he sure is a weird character.

@GuitarIV, I had put money down on a custom guitar, and the whole time I was waiting for it I was looking at Nashville Telecasters and Eric Johnson Strats. I managed to resist the urge to buy them, and now I have my custom guitar. It was totally worth the wait.

Good to hear, that's what I'm hoping as well! :)

You definitely need to play more, and I say this to myself also. I'm trying to organise my life so I can get 20 hrs practice in per week, plus full time job.

Saying that, I ordered a second Les Paul in the Black Friday sale. Haven't bought a new axe since '16, they are going up in price and I appear to be getting older.

If you want another guitar and that's going to make you play more, go for it. But if you're replacing playing with buying gear, I'd say play more.

I really need to play more, like most of us. I just feel so comfortable on my Telecaster by now that I've been thinking about selling quite a few other guitars and just get another one :p

:lol: That's hilarious
I was not a fan (of Springsteen) in high school . I didn't like the kids who were fans ....they grew up to wear Dockers

I will say ,over the years I developed an appreciation for early Springsteen ...like the 1st 2-3 records . I gained somewhat of an appreciation for that kind of East Coast Rock ....at arm's length

People definitely need to broaden they're Telecaster points of reference .Tele through a Marshall is a glorious thing

A Tele through a Marshall is in deed a beautiful thing!

I actually just got the confirmation tonight why I need another one:

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-25 at 17.45.43.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-25 at 17.45.43 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-25 at 17.45.43 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-25 at 17.45.43 (1).jpeg

Just came back from a gig we played this evening in an old wine cellar that has been turned into an irish pub and the place was packed, very cool location and the Telecaster sounded amazing through the Jubilee Halfstack!

I also got a lot of compliments on my playing and I felt right at home.

However during one song I broke a string:

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-26 at 01.00.56.jpeg

Finished it improvising with the strings I had left and ran off to the backstage area to get my backup, a humbucker equipped ESP E2 Eclipse.

Had no time to re EQ and as soon as I plugged in I could barely hear myself anymore...

That's why I need another Telecaster, as a backup in case a string breaks! Say what you want, they cut like Mofos through the mix :eddie:

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That's what I needed to hear! And most definitely I learned a lot of past impulse purchases. Usually you regret em sooner or later... well not always, but often :p

I'd totally rock that! Maybe play the Spongebob Squarepants main theme on it hahahaha

Yeah the wait has been a pain in the ass, lots of shit happening during the pandemic and he had some hardships but I also smell a lot of BS and excuses on his site... I paid him a visit and told him I'm done with the wait, he promised it's gonna be done before christmas... we'll see.

I really need to play more, like most of us. I just feel so comfortable on my Telecaster by now that I've been thinking about selling quite a few other guitars and just get another one :p

View attachment 140803View attachment 140802View attachment 140801View attachment 140800

Just came back from a gig we played this evening in an old wine cellar that has been turned into an irish pub and the place was packed, very cool location and the Telecaster sounded amazing through the Jubilee Halfstack!

View attachment 140804

Finished it improvising with the strings I had left and ran off to the backstage area to get my backup, a humbucker equipped ESP E2 Eclipse.

Had no time to re EQ and as soon as I plugged in I could barely hear myself anymore...

That's why I need another Telecaster, as a backup in case a string breaks! Say what you want, they cut like Mofos through the mix :eddie:
Is that a hotrail in the bridge?

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Is that a hotrail in the bridge?

That is actually a Häussel Pickups Alnico 8 Classic model in the bridge. It's a rail humbucker but you retain the twangy character of the Telecaster with a bit more oomph and no noise of course. DC resistance is about 9k ohms. Great pickups from Germany and not as expensive as other boutique stuff :)

giblesp

Reaction score
I'm only playing my Les Paul at the moment, just bought another one on sale in fact.

Haven't played my jazz bass and strats for a while, but know full well I will be again.

Never sell in haste! With the rise in prices, they get expensive to replace.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@GuitarIV, Telecastess are great, but you don't need another one. Make some music with the ones you already have!

Same here. There are many things you've got to get past - the sappy "working class man" iconography (despite being a global superstar for decades), the overplayed fist-pumping anthems, the flag-waving jingoism (although that's often been misinterpreted), the overt political endorsements and even more cringe-inducing podcasts - but he's a dazzling songwriter when it comes down to brass tacks.

If you don't like the obvious stuff, check out 'Nebraska' and 'Tunnel of Love' - that last one is particularly underrated. And even though they're on more "mainstream" albums, 'Racing in the Street' and 'Downbound Train' are about as far from "feel good" anthems as it's possible to stray.

You don't have to scratch the surface of Springsteen's discography much to find a complex set of riches. I sometimes wonder if the two-dimensional "everyman" image is a defense mechanism.

As a REAL Teenage Teamster and a 7yr active duty veteran , I always thought Bruce was kinda faking that whole trip . I mean ,it's great that someone would try to represent ,in an artistic fashion . But somehow I think Bruce got it all as an "observer" ...if you know what I mean . Im sure he watched his parents work their ass off.I don't think Bruce was a teenage teamster....I could be wrong
Either way , I KNOW ,it's a hard road to be a musician .....nobody hands it to ya ......do they ??

I gotta say , I though ,early Bruce's lead Tele tone was off the fckn hook ! I am about ready to research WTH he was playin thru .....Tweeds maybe ???

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
As a REAL Teenage Teamster and a 7yr active duty veteran , I always thought Bruce was kinda faking that whole trip . I mean ,it's great that someone would try to represent ,in an artistic fashion . But somehow I think Bruce got it all as an "observer" ...if you know what I mean . Im sure he watched his parents work their ass off.I don't think Bruce was a teenage teamster....I could be wrong
yeah, he's a real poseur...
Either way , I KNOW ,it's a hard road to be a musician .....nobody hands it to ya ......do they ??
well, in this case... yes

from what I heard, he was Columbia records answer to the success of Bob Segar on Capitol. &... Columbia were successful on their bet, I'd say. I'm in no way a fan of him, never cared for his singing (if you can call it that), nor his songwriting. But... he's proof, that w/ enough money poured into good marketing, anyone can "make it" in the music industry.

The same sort of music play was made in signing Madonna, as Warner's answer to the success of Cindy Lauper...
I gotta say , I though ,early Bruce's lead Tele tone was off the fckn hook ! I am about ready to research WTH he was playin thru .....Tweeds maybe ???
If it was his tone, that is... but, his production team can be largely responsible for trying to get a sellable production sound. That actually became the New Jersey sound, which people like Bon Jovi & Bryan Adams used to get their careers launched...

Regardless if his whole persona, etc., are all mfgr'd, you do have to hand it to him for being able to keep it up there all these years.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Not sure, but I feel the same way....

I have the itch for another Telecaster.

Why?

It will probably happen sometime down the road.

I'M LOOKING

Spooky88

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Only I buy parts online and then build them into a guitar/bass. My last build was a telecaster… with all the sick tricks. It’s pretty awesome! EVH would’ve been jealous! Haha! What to build next?

El Gringo

Reaction score
First things first, I would go straight to the shop where your LP is being built and kick that guy right in the balls, good and hard so he chokes on them. You could be dead and buried before that thing is done! Then go and buy the Gibson LP of your dreams and that Tele. :yesway:
I ,like how you think :applause:

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Yeah, and I think there is something in the Constitution about "Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness and at least 4 Teles"...
Absolutely. Also, Telecasters are like dogs: they get lonely if they're by themselves...

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m convinced that part of the Tele sound is a steel bridge plate with the pickup mounted to it. I think that steel plate affects the magnetic field around the bridge pickup, and it vibrates with the body, enhancing the tone. So, your LesTele would have to be a flat top. I think a double cut LP Special with Tele pickups would be tits!

That's exactly what it is.
I wish they had just used the same pickup in the bridge from the inception of stratocasters
Back when people started cuttin up strats to put humbuckers in 'em , I cut up my strats to put tele bridge pickups in there ......Then I found out ,they started making strat pickups with a plate (both Duncan & DiMarzio )

I still prefer my mucked up strat with the real tele pickup in the bridge
Lowell George used to do that thing

lespaul339

Reaction score
You should build your next Tele. I built this one. I love it. It sounded better than my USA Butterscotch Blonde Tele. So I sold the butterscotch and kept the one I built. It has that killer Tele bridge pickup sound, but also with the bridge pickup and p 90 blended, it almost sounds like a Strat in that position. And the neck position sounds killer for creamy leads or slide tones. I love every tone position for slide playing on this guitar. But I use this guitar for both normal playing and slide playing. Action is set up right in the middle so it's able to do both.
IMG-1611-2.jpg

IMG-1610.jpg

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW , the #1 reason I HAD to have a Tele . THIS record
Taj used to loan me the tweed Bassman they used on this tune.He inherited it from Jesse Ed Davis

Im not sure how many Teles I have .I know at this time I have one "official" Fender one left, from '75 and a "Crafted In Japan" Fender . The rest are all partscasters ....THX EVH :yesway:

Last edited:

Whizzercone

Reaction score

View attachment 140803View attachment 140802View attachment 140801View attachment 140800

View attachment 140804

I used to break As like my ex owned them.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should build your next Tele. I built this one. I love it. It sounded better than my USA Butterscotch Blonde Tele. So I sold the butterscotch and kept the one I built. It has that killer Tele bridge pickup sound, but also with the bridge pickup and p 90 blended, it almost sounds like a Strat in that position. And the neck position sounds killer for creamy leads or slide tones. I love every tone position for slide playing on this guitar. But I use this guitar for both normal playing and slide playing. Action is set up right in the middle so it's able to do both.
IMG-1611-2.jpg

IMG-1610.jpg

That's it !
Ever since EVH showed what you could do with some basic knowledge of guitar mechanics & a few well tuned parts, Ive felt no need to be on the "official" Fenders.

I just got one of my favorites outa mothballs after 8 years
This one was inspired by KEEF . If y'all remember ,1981, some dude in VA rushes the stage while the Stones are in mid song . Months earlier their esteemed colleague ,John Lennon had been gunned down in the streets of NYC. So, you can bet they were on high alert . When the guy gets too close for comfort , Keef unstraps and CLOCKS the guy over the head with a Tele Custom !!!

2005 ,I spotted this MIM Tele Custom body on ebay . Turns out it was a guy I went to high school with and used to fish with in Illinois a couple lifetimes ago. He's a multi media artist . Turns out , he had made this fat maple Tele neck . So once he figured out it was me , he threw in the neck . I got 'em both for 100 bucks, He met me at a gig when we passed thru Chicago and I got the stuff. It began to burn a hole in my head .
Our last gig on that run was in Green Bay ....Osh Kosh or some fckn place like that
Link Wray had just died . The festival promoter requested that we play RUMBLE in tribute. We did,it rocked ....the crowd hated it. We laughingly packed up our 8x10 cabinets and headed back to Memphis
Between the rush of having just punk rocked the fck outa those blues squares AND the fact that I had these guitar parts awaiting my attention , I made the 12(?) hr drive back home like it was nothin

(The festival promoter later told me that he was removed as head of the "committee" after the Rumble incident)

I got outa the van , put my kid to bed ,went straight to the shop and routed this bitch out for a strat whammy. Now that should have , could have waited til daylight hours ...but no .Im pretty sure I was playin it the next day.

Around about 2015, I broke a whammy bar off in the block ,just before a road trip . Sometimes you can get the broken end out ...sometimes you can't . This time was a "can't" . So the guitar sat ....

Finally ,back in April , after a heavy breakup , COVID, home selling , parental issues, relocation.......I found the new block (when I was lookin for something else)

Slapped it all back together ....it was like it never went away .All the Tele spank was there , livin breathin!!!

Last edited:

lespaul339

Reaction score
That's it !
Ever since EVH showed what you could do with some basic knowledge of guitar mechanics & a few well tuned parts, Ive felt no need to be on the "official" Fenders.
Same. I've built that Tele, and also a Strat for my brother. You can make a way better or just as good as a fender guitar yourself and save money in the process. Plus, it's fun to tinker with and have a project. And do custom shit you couldn't necessarily buy in a production model.