• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Why do marshall amps have such poor resale values?

• Thread starter Mcfc_Marshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Not really .... not around here anyhow.(Canada) For example back in the 90's you could buy a really nice used JCM800 for around 400-600 . Not anymore , A used 800 is easy over a grand and more at least nowadays. Trends , supply and demand , all things that vary over time. But in general , there seems to be a trend now days where very few want the big 100 watt heads and cabs. There is always some coming up for sale in practically new condition. All that , and the young crowd is not taking up guitar playing like in the past when there were big "idols" or great guitar bands around with great music hitting the scene.

keennay

Reaction score
There's way less Mesa Boogies on the market - I don't know about you but I have to drive 1.5 hours away to the nearest Mesa Boogie dealer. I can go into any Guitar Center and play a Marshall.

Wow, I guess it's true that Guitar Centers are drastically different from each other. The one over here in Atlanta has always had a Mesa/Boogie section ever since I've been going there ~'07, unless you were implying that your nearest Guitar Center is 1.5 hours away.

It's Fender nation over here in GA though. The large majority of guitar shops I frequent are flooded with 'em.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Marshalls are chip amps? Am i missing something? Haha

1973-First transistor Marshall amplifiers.
These are JMP-series: 1994 Slave, 2077 Bass 100 and 2078 Lead 100 Combo. They are followed by more JMP-series amplifiers in 1975/6: 2098 Master Lead, 2099 Bass, 2195 Lead & Bass, 2196 Lead & Bass, 2199 Master Lead Combo, 2200 Lead Combo, 2201 Lead & Bass and 2299 Master Lead Reverb.

Lead 12
AVT
8008 & 9000 series power amps
JMP-1 midi preamp
JMD
etc.etc.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Try selling a Carvin. Then you will learn the true meaning of poor resale.

So true, and they are great amps. I just got a brand new legacy III FOR $699. It's every bit as good as my JVM. If I ever tried to sell it I am sure I'd have a hard time.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Yeah how about the prices between the new and used models. Holy crap! There is no way some of these models are worth what people are asking for them. It makes it so hard to buy something and be able to afford it. Either buy a piece of crap or spend 2k on something. :scratch:

roycaster

Reaction score
For one thing you have millions of interweb forum users that believe very strongly that Marshalls are a 1 trick pony. Second is nobody is playing out anymore, and the handful that do have noticed quite a volume drop since the ‘70s and ‘80s. Today all of these guitar players sit in front of a bedroom mirror and play, or at best do a crappy YouTube vid. And if you only play with one or two friends in the garage you really don’t need a Plexi…

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hi folks. :wave:

this has probably been discussed before, but why exactly are sellers having to give their marshalls away?

I mean, i'm in the UK, it's a lot different for most in the US on here granted but seriously, marshalls are the best sounding rock amp that they're is (tongue in cheek statement I knowww), so why are people selling for such low prices.

For instance, I Have DSL 100 (JCM 2000), in which I bought completely refurbished for £695..(Around 900 dollars i'm GUESSING), but i'm having to sell it at no more than 400 despite selling a few months after I bought it! Why have marshalls lost their value so much? seriously?:scratch: I understand people have to hold on to their money more, but I mean...you put your marshall on a no reserve auction as apposed to asking a fair price straight up and suddenly...people can "miraculously" afford to bid on pretty much the same product.

Here are a few ebay listings that will raise your eyebrows:

1987: Guitar Amplifier Marshall Plexi 1987 Reissue Head | eBay

JVM 205: Marshall jVm 205 Amplifier Valve Head | eBay

1936 cab in NEW condition: Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 150W Speaker Cabinet with cover | eBay

JCM 800 SPLIT: Marshall Jcm800 50W Head | eBay

Its great for buyers, but I mean...trying to get a good price for a DSL 100 in the UK....seems impossible lol:lol:

Marshall does not have a poor resale value.

In a music shop the price is always higher.
When a private party sells a Marshall, depends on how long they are willing to wait for a higher price.
If a seller needs cash right away, they sell faster and cheaper.

Same with cars...same with just about anything.
Depends on maintenance, and condition.

A classic Marshall amp which is older may sell for a price higher - than when it was new!
Certain models command a very high $$$$ price.

Marshall is above average resale, overall. One of the highest.
On par with Fender Amps.

Compare this to Crate, Behringer, Bugera, etc...many times you can't even give those away.
Nobody's lining up to buy Mesa Boogies either.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ghostman

Reaction score
You bought a used JCM2000 DSL. So it's at least a few years old, old enough that the prices have leveled out. Then you only had it for a few months and now, trying to resell, you are taking a 25% hit?

One of two things are happening here. One, you paid WAY too much for the head. Or two, you have no idea how to sell an amp head.

Values of Marshall heads have been slowly declining because there's THOUSANDS of Marshall heads and equipment on the market. However, the resale value of them have always been constant across the board. You pay the same for a used DSL head you did five years ago, and same for Cabs, combos, etc.

Mcfc_Marshall

Reaction score
You bought a used JCM2000 DSL. So it's at least a few years old, old enough that the prices have leveled out. Then you only had it for a few months and now, trying to resell, you are taking a 25% hit?

One of two things are happening here. One, you paid WAY too much for the head. Or two, you have no idea how to sell an amp head.

Values of Marshall heads have been slowly declining because there's THOUSANDS of Marshall heads and equipment on the market. However, the resale value of them have always been constant across the board. You pay the same for a used DSL head you did five years ago, and same for Cabs, combos, etc.
Its not that i bought it for too much, everything in music shops have a higher price due to VAT mainly...Its just that things sit around for ages in music shops for this reason, but i agree they do EVENTUALLY sell..unlike online which is the best way to do it due to most music shops paying low prices to buy your gear off you.

Its not as if I don't know how too sell my amp, otherwise I wouldn't have had numerous offers for it which are considered too high for the internet market, but about the going rate in the retailer market.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Love your writing style, blues_n_cues. You sound a lot like you took a few cues from Maiden, which is (obviously) my favorite band ever. I wish I could find guys like you in my town, as I'm looking to start a band, but around here in Florida, competent melodic rock/metal players are a rare breed.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I Hi folks. :wave:

this has probably been discussed before, but why exactly are sellers having to give their marshalls away?

I mean, i'm in the UK, it's a lot different for most in the US on here granted but seriously, marshalls are the best sounding rock amp that there is (tongue in cheek statement I knowww), so why are people selling for such low prices.

For instance, I Have DSL 100 (JCM 2000), in which I bought completely refurbished for £695..(Around 900 dollars i'm GUESSING), but i'm having to sell it at no more than 400 despite selling a few months after I bought it! Why have marshalls lost their value so much? seriously?:scratch: I understand people have to hold on to their money more, but I mean...you put your marshall on a no reserve auction as apposed to asking a fair price straight up and suddenly...people can "miraculously" afford to bid on pretty much the same product.

Here are a few ebay listings that will raise your eyebrows:

1987: Guitar Amplifier Marshall Plexi 1987 Reissue Head | eBay

JVM 205: Marshall jVm 205 Amplifier Valve Head | eBay

1936 cab in NEW condition: Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 150W Speaker Cabinet with cover | eBay

JCM 800 SPLIT: Marshall Jcm800 50W Head | eBay

Its great for buyers, but I mean...trying to get a good price for a DSL 100 in the UK....seems impossible lol:lol:

You paid too much blue nose.....£695 is way over the top for a UK DSL100. I paid £400 for mine....with a 1960B cab in 2011. It's in perfect condition. £400 is a decent selling price, if you can get it take it. :yesway:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Masliko

Reaction score
Because of tight people like us not wanting to pay much for a quality product,thanks to the Chinese import culture that started in the late 90s.!

I dont buy anything made by economic slaves or the third world(China,India,Mexico etc )if i can help it.

Ghostman

Reaction score
...... I wouldn't have had numerous offers for it which are considered too high for the internet market, but about the going rate in the retailer market.

So you are trying to sell your head, and have received multiple offers. From your posts, it sounds like these offers are close to what you paid for it at a used retailer.

So what's the issue? :scratch:

Mcfc_Marshall

Reaction score
You paid too much blue nose.....£695 is way over the top for a UK DSL100. I paid £400 for mine....with a 1960B cab in 2011. It's in perfect condition. £400 is a decent selling price, if you can get it take it. :yesway:

I paid basically what the newer chinese models go for, the DSL in the shop had issues before it reached them so they had to fix apparantley, hence the inflated price. Actually would of been a more reasonable £580 if it wasnt for VAT :( that was at PMT in manchester Btw

Latest posts