• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

why do people hate BlackStar amps.

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have to agree on the ISF knob thingy. Seems like someone thinks it's unique to the brand, and there's a need to put it on everything they make.

And it seems we have another pick and choose hater..voicing distain for things made "somewhere" while typing on a device made "somewhere".

You'd be hard pressed to find an amplifier made anywhere that's not full of components made "somewhere"

I too would love to buy nothing but things not made or made from components from "somewhere"..but in the world we live in it is virtually impossible.

I choose what I like and don't like, and I do so while it is still legal to do so.
Hate is a strong word, too strong.
In fact, I very much enjoy the things around me made ' somewhere' but for playing music I choose instead to avoid things made there, as much as possible. I'm sure for example things like picks and cables get snuck in from there and sold to me but that's ok.
Why avoid musical instruments made from there?
They got the wrong wood, that's why.
Why avoid amps made from there? Because they are modern amps and I avoid as much as I can modern amps made anywhere.
I am free to do these things but it seems, not free to do so without being accused of being a hater by some internet morality cop.
Enjoy your china amps bud.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I think they have some nice features, especially their small amps. The little 5 watt combos have a 12" like all combos should, they have nice DI outs, effects loops etc.
I'm sure I've heard them live plenty of times but the one I'm sure of had a great sound albeit using pedal dirt for heavy stoner tones.
The thing that turns me off is the OD channel sounds Ok but it's a kind of dry, pedal in front tone. I get the (probably unfounded) impression it's not very versatile and prefer what I've heard out of a DSL.
There ain't nothing wrong with 10" or 15" speakers.

A lot of the Blackstar amps get pre-amp dirt from a distortion circuit in the amp rather than the tubes.

Reactions: 351

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I choose what I like and don't like, and I do so while it is still legal to do so.
Hate is a strong word, too strong.
In fact, I very much enjoy the things around me made ' somewhere' but for playing music I choose instead to avoid things made there, as much as possible. I'm sure for example things like picks and cables get snuck in from there and sold to me but that's ok.
Why avoid musical instruments made from there?
They got the wrong wood, that's why.
Why avoid amps made from there? Because they are modern amps and I avoid as much as I can modern amps made anywhere.
I am free to do these things but it seems, not free to do so without being accused of being a hater by some internet morality cop.
Enjoy your china amps bud.
+1

I like more robust builds made in USA, England, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Finland, etc...

Can't avoid Chinese products all together unfortunately. And it has nothing to do with hating on Chinese people.

Last edited:

Reaction score
A lot of the Blackstar amps get pre-amp dirt from a distortion circuit in the amp rather than the tubes.

Which is why, considering blackstar amps are basically unfixable in that they cost more to fix than to buy, it is better to use a dirt box to get your distortion in front of an amp that doesn't have the blackstar logo on it.
Of course, some would argue that sort of distortion doesn't compare to what you can get from a blackstar amp, but weighing the compromise you get from using a dirt pedal with a more traditional, classic amp vs the disposable nature of these pieces of shit amps, it's no contest.
I'd hate to think every power chord could be the last my amp produces, but that's what I'd think if I owned one of those time bombs.
My old amps will last generations of players, hundreds if not thousands of years of use.
Blackstar amps and any amp like it, cheaply produced china rubbish is just landfill waiting to happen.
In a very real sense, blackstar amps are false economy, I wouldn't touch one with your dick.

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
There ain't nothing wrong with 10" or 15" speakers.

Oh yeah I'm eyeing off a fullback cab atm, and Geordie Walker of Killing Joke uses 10's and he has some of favourite guitar tones.
I was being a bit hyperbolic. I like 12"s because they're the "standard" for a rock sound and give more options for speaker swaps.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
My Chinese made Blackstar 4x12 is superb , in sound and quality. Never tried one of their amps mind .

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch one with your dick.

Well thanks...

I wouldn't buy one of their budget amps, but the handwired artisan amps they make aren't terrible. That said, I don't want one.

Reaction score
I had an HT-100h Stage head for about a year & a half. The dirt channels were pretty awful. Kind of harsh without any presence (kind of like my JVM410h, come to think of it).

That being said, the clean channel was really, really good and had miles of headroom. Very good at taking pedals. I ran a Digitech RP1000 through that, and it did better than you'd think. The Digitech distortion (certainly the 5150 model) sounded much better than the Blackstar distortion. If you were going to use a modeling system (like a Kemper, etc.), it would definitely be worth a look at...

playloud

Reaction score
My only experience was at a band rehearsal a few years ago. The other guitarist's main amp was in for repairs, so he had to make do with what the space had for rental - a 40w "HT" combo.

Much to his amusement, I had left my main amps in the studio (where we were recording at the time) and bought along a little Ampeg M12. A few moments later, he was furious. The Blackstar sounded completely gutless, whereas I sounded like 'Exile on Main St'.

Those M12s are still a fantastic deal by the way! I sold it for $400 when I moved, and it's every bit the equal of a 5E3. If you get the chance to pick one up for <$1k, take it.

Zado

Reaction score
the handwired artisan amps they make aren't terrible.
No they aren't terrible, they are actually really good, and boosted kick some fat arses.

That being said, the clean channel was really, really good and had miles of headroom

That's why I always say they should fully concentrate on clean tones. Their cleaner amps (Artisan and Artist series) are axcellent.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I was kind of cheering for them for a time. Owned an HT5-RH. Loved the looks of it, and it sounded pretty good. My only issue with it was it went from clean to too much gain instantly. Like a millimeter of crunch on the gain knob. A 5751 made it about 3 millimeters of crunch.

Also agree that it doesn't have a distinct sound. Most guitar players know what a Marshall, Orange, Laney, Fender, Mesa, Vox sound like. Blackstar is distinctly indistinct. Like an amp made by committee to appeal to everyone while appealing to no one.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I was kind of cheering for them for a time. Owned an HT5-RH. Loved the looks of it, and it sounded pretty good. My only issue with it was it went from clean to too much gain instantly. Like a millimeter of crunch on the gain knob. A 5751 made it about 3 millimeters of crunch.

Also agree that it doesn't have a distinct sound. Most guitar players know what a Marshall, Orange, Laney, Fender, Mesa, Vox sound like. Blackstar is distinctly indistinct. Like an amp made by committee to appeal to everyone while appealing to no one.

huge fan of the HT1-RH. crazy how many checks it has on my list for a BEDROOM amp.
HUGE difference between the combos and the heads. they can not be compared period.
sound totally different.

Zado

Reaction score

Precisely. Artisan series excluded, those have sort of a personal take on plexi circuit, which I dig.

And their high end cabs are excellent.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I also heard they were hard to work on due to the type of construction.
They are. Just about impossible to get schematics and they use a lot of SMD's so it's difficult to troubleshoot/fix. I buy broken amps, repair and resell them for a hobby and will pass up any Blackstar amps that come up (unless of course it's free :)).

Mourguitars

Reaction score
I have a Series One EL34 4 channel...i shouldn't have bought it , its a very clean new looking amp for being built in 2009-10....It has 4 stickers of repair shops on the back plate that was a major red flag but i bought it from a friend who needed the cash so....

I took it to a Tech..paid the bench fee only that he couldn't fix the problem with no schematic so ...it set for a year. I checked everything out the other day put the tubes back in and something fried on the power section...so i just shut it off and was going to put it on CL as is make offer...Would cost too much to ship a 70# plus amp to a Tech and pay what ever plus shipping back..nah ill pass

I think since its in such great shape , i will gut it and use the Chassis and head shell and slap a 800 board in there and use the same face plate use those 20 holes on the front and maybe use the other ones for switches...just a thought might be good to learn my 1st build on

As for the Transformers ...i know nothing about them ..nothing on the net..so

Seems the way its built you replace the PCB's even tho this one is thru hole construction..but good luck with that

So here i am...when i get enuff posts ill post some pics and hopefully get some help and info on doing my 1st build...

I personally dont bad mouth stuff...but a little customer service would be helpful for the consumer...lol

Mike