Why have I overlooked JVM’s all these years ???

• Thread starter Ufoscorpion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I love my EVH lbx it sounds killer , but since I sold all my Marshall amps if feel I need to get another one . I’ve looked at all the options ( new and used ) but really nothing with enough flexibility and gain . But looking on eBay for options I noticed how cheap jvm’s were going for so did a bit of research and man those 410’s cover all basses really well . I’m not sure I need 100w but my torpedo reload will deal with that no problem , I could alternatively go for the 50w version , less channels but still lots of great tones to be had . I recon I could get a 50w head used for £350 or 100w head for £450 , worth a shot ???

lovehifi

Reaction score
Not sure why JVMs are going used so cheap. At least compared to what they sell for new. I have a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe but a 2018 build date JVM410H in mint condition popped up locally for sale at a great price and I bought it yesterday. While the BE-50 is fantastic I still like owning a Marshall and the 410 is a great amp regardless of what the used prices are. I had the 205c and enjoyed it so knew what I was getting in to with the 410h. Just takes some adjustment tweaking to find the tonal sweets pots. My Friedman 4x12 does a great job with the 410 too just like it did with my previous 205.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Not sure why JVMs are going used so cheap. At least compared to what they sell for new. I have a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe but a 2018 build date JVM410H in mint condition popped up locally for sale at a great price and I bought it yesterday. While the BE-50 is fantastic I still like owning a Marshall and the 410 is a great amp regardless of what the used prices are. I had the 205c and enjoyed it so knew what I was getting in to with the 410h. Just takes some adjustment tweaking to find the tonal sweets pots. My Friedman 4x12 does a great job with the 410 too just like it did with my previous 205.
Exactly a new dsl20 head for example £320 ish , it’s a no brainer really ( no disrespect to the dsl ) . Sounds like the jvm’s have really good reliability as well .

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I love my EVH lbx it sounds killer , but since I sold all my Marshall amps if feel I need to get another one . I’ve looked at all the options ( new and used ) but really nothing with enough flexibility and gain . But looking on eBay for options I noticed how cheap jvm’s were going for so did a bit of research and man those 410’s cover all basses really well . I’m not sure I need 100w but my torpedo reload will deal with that no problem , I could alternatively go for the 50w version , less channels but still lots of great tones to be had . I recon I could get a 50w head used for £350 or 100w head for £450 , worth a shot ???
Hello.
First, 5150 amps are amazing. Getting any kind of EVH amp is a goal for me in 2020.

Second, not to bash you, but it's amazes me how some of the long time fans of Marshall never bothered to give JVM a serious try even though the JVM4 line has been in production since 2007. I can't explain why some Marshall fans wait so long to give JVM4 or JVM2 a serious try.

Regarding output, you can always buy a 410H and pull two power tubes and rebias to get your 50 watts or so. At various times, JVM players/owners have discussed why Marshall never bothered to release a 50 watt version of the 410H. The JVM2 series has done quiet well selling 50 watt and 100 versions, so the absence of a 50 JVM4 usually makes people speculate.

In my experience, most people who get the JVM2 usually express to some degree a sentiment of regret for not having gotten a JVM4. Make no mistake, JVM2 are bad-ass and are something I'd also like to get in 2020. But those some of the modes present in JVM4 that are not in JVM2 do add tremendously to the versatility of the JVM4 in terms of tone. In my experience, all the modes available in the JVM4 have eliminated my need for pedals that produce overdrive/distortion/dirt/gain/etc. The modes vary so much that I've found no pedal so far which doesn't give me what I want. That's not to say you won't ever use a distortion/OD/gain/dirt pedal anymore with a JVM, but in my estimation the likelihood is very minuscule.

First time I finished playing through the 410H at a store, I had to stop in amazement and say, "That's a Marshall?"! JVM makes you re-think what you've come to expect from Marshall, but in a very pleasantly surprising way.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Hello.
First, 5150 amps are amazing. Getting any kind of EVH amp is a goal for me in 2020.

Second, not to bash you, but it's amazes me how some of the long time fans of Marshall never bothered to give JVM a serious try even though the JVM4 line has been in production since 2007. I can't explain why some Marshall fans wait so long to give JVM4 or JVM2 a serious try.

Regarding output, you can always buy a 410H and pull two power tubes and rebias to get your 50 watts or so. At various times, JVM players/owners have discussed why Marshall never bothered to release a 50 watt version of the 410H. The JVM2 series has done quiet well selling 50 watt and 100 versions, so the absence of a 50 JVM4 usually makes people speculate.

In my experience, most people who get the JVM2 usually express to some degree a sentiment of regret for not having gotten a JVM4. Make no mistake, JVM2 are bad-ass and are something I'd also like to get in 2020. But those some of the modes present in JVM4 that are not in JVM2 do add tremendously to the versatility of the JVM4 in terms of tone. In my experience, all the modes available in the JVM4 have eliminated my need for pedals that produce overdrive/distortion/dirt/gain/etc. The modes vary so much that I've found no pedal so far which doesn't give me what I want. That's not to say you won't ever use a distortion/OD/gain/dirt pedal anymore with a JVM, but in my estimation the likelihood is very minuscule.

First time I finished playing through the 410H at a store, I had to stop in amazement and say, "That's a Marshall?"! JVM makes you re-think what you've come to expect from Marshall, but in a very pleasantly surprising way.
I’ve been thinking about why some of us don’t give jvm’s serious consideration and my conclusion is this , TOO MANY KNOBS . Seriously, until you look into how they work and realise that actually they are dead straight forward to operate , suddenly the layout of controls totally make sense . Just about every good Marshall tone ever in that there box .

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
UFO/Scorpion I have been in the same boat , same amp (EVH) Right the Marshall used market is a bit stale with the exception of the JVM.

Years ago I did play a 410h Mesa 2/12 cab once and it was in comparison to a Mesa tri-rec which it sounded great . I did not play with the other modes , I don’t remember much about the settings . Had to be red.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about why some of us don’t give jvm’s serious consideration and my conclusion is this , TOO MANY KNOBS . Seriously, until you look into how they work and realise that actually they are dead straight forward to operate , suddenly the layout of controls totally make sense . Just about every good Marshall tone ever in that there box .

It's such a shame that people thought like this, and were put off by the knobs! Marshall/Santiago went to the trouble of providing independent controls for each channel which (as you now realise) are nothing more than the standard GAIN, BASS, MID, TREBLE and VOLUME for each channel - that makes up 20 of the 28 knobs....it would have been easy for Marshall to cut corners (and cost) and (for example) use the same EQ for Clean/Crunch and OD1/OD2! Instead they gave a full range of controls, and as a result may have put people off the amp!

As I have said before, with Amps, Guitars, Musical equipment and ultimately in life in general - I rarely see having too much choice as being a problem!

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Right @spacerocker , I have heard many people complain about the lack of eq on each channel . This amp is a bit intimidating and that may be why it is over looked besides it is also known as a heavy metal even though it has other modes.

Buzzard

Reaction score
I love simple to use control layouts on an amp and I find the jvm 410 VERY easy well laid and sensible.I look at amps like friedman be 50 deluxe as more confusing.Too many knobs in a row for me.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
The jvm 410 is in my buying list, is just a matter of finding a cheap one. There’re still expensive where I live.

btw, the lbx was that made me addict to evh. I really regretted selling mine.

RatDaddy

Reaction score
OP: Due to the fact that the 410H and 410HJS are two different tone animals I'd recommend trying both (if it's possible). You WILL certainly like one more than the other - whatever one that may be. The JS is what I personally call a modern day 6100 with 4 channels instead of just 3.

:eddie: - Rock thy nation my fine Marshall brethren.

Detlef

Reaction score
All my life I have used Fender amps, so I had no experience using Marshalls. Don't laugh for at home I bought a used Line 6 DT25 modelling amp with Marshall voicings as well. Being a Fender guy I automatically started using the Fender Twin, Bassman en Reverb voicings. After loading more Marshall presets, JCM800 and especially de JTM45 I found myself using the clean tone of the JTM45. Finally found the amp sound for my strat I have always been looking for, amazing. After that I started searching YouTube "clean tone Marshall" and started watching a lot of JTM45 vids, but I also received a lot of hits with the clean tone of the JVM. Started looking more specific for JVM and especially the 410. Bought myself a new 410h and a 1960. Could not have been happier with my sound. I like the Fender sound but I always found it bit too "chimey". The clean channel and crunch channel are amazing. Coming from Fenders I now can sell most of my distortion pedal and keep my TubeScreamer, Green Russian and Fulltone 69 FuzzFace. Never in my life thought I would start using Marshall amps. The JVM and it's versatility and clean channel had won me over. Love how my strat sounds.

wmachine

Reaction score
I read all of this with interest, because a while back when looking for something to compliment my 2555X, I wanted just one more Marshall and I didn't want to hold back, so I was looking for another 100w head. I finally concluded the 410H was exactly what I wanted due to the versatility. I don't mind the knobs as long as the operation was not too complex, and it is not. But I did have the 410HJS version nagging at me. So I found myself holding out for a 410HJS. Not like there were that many out there for sale, and they're not cheap. So I patiently waited until the right one at the right price came along and got it. I had high expectations, and had no disappointments with it. I'm sure the regular 410H would have been fine, but I know I'll have no regrets with this one.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
The 410H is what I use when I do sound for gigs with more than one band using the same amp. I can get any tone that a player wants and two master volumes and a killer effects loop. It can do it all.

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
OP: Due to the fact that the 410H and 410HJS are two different tone animals I'd recommend trying both (if it's possible). You WILL certainly like one more than the other - whatever one that may be. The JS is what I personally call a modern day 6100 with 4 channels instead of just 3.

:eddie: - Rock thy nation my fine Marshall brethren.

i think the 6100 lm kick jvm ass more organic , i own both twice and i can tell you the JVM its a bad ass amp but you really need to undertand how it works , its not that good taking pedals but you can get a lot done with the JVM, but so far i been enjoying more and more the JVM and i dont know but for recording its fantastic
The 6100 its the king to me you can do it all

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hello.
The "too many knobs" card!:lol:

OK, OK, maybe all those knobs reall is too much for people if going by first glance. I wish I could say all those knobs is the first time anyone has ever seen so many knobs on a Marshall, but TSL series and 6100 series (among others) offered a lot to think about, too, with all those knobs, switches, inputs, outputs, etc.

Anyways, good to see you are enjoying your JVM.