Why Jimi Hendrix tone and music is so hard to get

• Thread starter Maxbrothman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

carlygtr56

Reaction score
Randy Hanson had a great JH act! When I saw him the stage displayed a headstone. At the beginning of the show they turned on the fog machine and he rose up from under the stage and in front of the headstone. Up from the grave. It was brilliant!
One of the coolest things I ever saw. Saw him do it back in '78-79

playloud

Reaction score
Some enthusiasts spend on vintage gear for the reasons you give. The point about how players have their own identity regardless of gear is demonstrated by artists trying out each other's gear.

I have been reading more about his tuning and it makes me wonder if he wasn't tuning slightly lower than Eb standard and doing it by ear rather than precision tuners.

He definitely tuned by ear live. Several of the recorded shows start with him and the band tuning up. (The first portable tuners didn't appear until the mid 70s.)

In the studio they probably used a tuning reference (e.g. piano or tuning fork). But it's also possible tape speeds were varied on the master.

Would be possible to test your theory with modern technology. It does seem plausible.

Edit: just listened to the intro of the Berkeley show and he tunes standard (E). Listen from 1:09 here:

He's pretty close to pitch too. I ran it through Melodyne and the average pitch of the actual notes (excluding overtones and artifacts) seems to be within a couple of cents of intended. Even that dodgy low G is apparently only 10 cents flat:

Last edited:

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
This thread prompted me to have a listen to “Live at Berkeley”. I think he gets the best tone/sounds during show. His tone is so rich and lively at the same time. He was a master of his instrument, effects and amp setup. The array of sounds he could get out of his instrument was astonishing.…..and no one was doing anything remotely similar at the time. It’s tragic he died so young.
Completely agree! Freedom is my atf JH tune and this rehearsal has been extremely inspiring over the years. It's raw and timeless. You can easily make out his attack as well as volume control and pedal selection. I tend to focus on his dry tone that is sharp yet not over the top. It seems manageable but its obvious that it isn't just the amp and guitar making that sweet sound.
I love all the wonderful history about his travels. He was such a kind soul and not one to boast about himself or portray any sort of superiority with anyone. He was differently creative with the guitar and showmanship. Especially how it applies to that era. Amps, guitars, and other gear are really just tools and it seems that he recognized that. If the tools weren't available to create the sound that he wanted he had them made and then worked diligently to shape them to his liking. All while writing innovative music. Nobody else was doing that at the time. Looking back we have to realize that he focused on the songs themselves and recording techniques more than anything. All the cool stuff within those efforts just naturally poured out of him with the message of love. Yeah... he's smiling down on me right now! Be innovative...be you. Peace my brothers..

Last edited:

AndyD

Reaction score
Completely agree! Freedom is my atf JH tune and this rehearsal has been extremely inspiring over the years. It's raw and timeless. You can easily make out his attack as well as volume control and pedal selection. I tend to focus on his dry tone that is sharp yet not over the top. It seems manageable but its obvious that it isn't just the amp and guitar making that sweet sound.
I love all the wonderful history about his travels. He was such a kind soul and not one to boast about himself or portray and sort of superiority with anyone. He was differently creative with the guitar and showmanship. Especially how it applies to that era. Amps, guitars, and other gear are really just tools and it seems that he recognized that. If the tools weren't available to create the sound that he wanted he had them made and then worked diligently to shape them to his liking. All while writing innovative music. Nobody else was doing that at the time. Looking back we have to realize that he focused on the songs themselves and recording techniques more than anything. All the cool stuff within those efforts just naturally poured out of him with the message of love. Yeah... he's smiling down on me right now! Be innovative...be you. Peace my brothers..

Eloquently put! Exactly what I wanted to say but couldn’t!

purpleplexi

Reaction score
The only entertainment in my town when I was in my early teens was the SUB (it stands for Soul, Underground and Blues although we don't play any Underground or Blues) Disco. I always used to request Jimi and the DJ once said to me once 'one day someone will come along who's better than Hendrix'. What do you know I bumped into him last year for the first time in over 40 years. I reminded him about what he'd said and he thought for a minute and said 'well there's still time....'
There cannot, nor will there ever be, not even close. And the more years go by the more we come to appreciate the vast difference between Jimi and the rest of the mortals. One day the whole world will realise.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I love all the wonderful history about his travels. He was such a kind soul and not one to boast about himself or portray any sort of superiority with anyone. He was differently creative with the guitar and showmanship. Especially how it applies to that era. Amps, guitars, and other gear are really just tools and it seems that he recognized that. If the tools weren't available to create the sound that he wanted he had them made and then worked diligently to shape them to his liking. All while writing innovative music. Nobody else was doing that at the time. Looking back we have to realize that he focused on the songs themselves and recording techniques more than anything. All the cool stuff within those efforts just naturally poured out of him with the message of love. Yeah... he's smiling down on me right now! Be innovative...be you. Peace my brothers..

That song is to Mike Jeffries. Thieving bastard.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
you mean Michael Jeffrey that followed DB Cooper's model?

A lot of t nhat article is at best fanciful. I do believe that Jeffries didn't die on that plane though. Sadly. I hope he died a long, slow, excruciatingly painful death though.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
A Plexi might be hissy, but that's only when you're not playing or your volume is rolled off. While you're playing, hiss isn't a factor.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Man, if that dude got serious about it, and cut out the crap, he could front a killer JH cover band from the likes that we have never "experienced" before. His voice is spot on.. Damn..

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Very cool! And he has his Strat 'strung' for a righty!

Wow. I never caught that before. He sure does.

So either he learned to play upside down, or he's making clever use of a backing track.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Dunlop Fuzz Face Jimi Hendrix mini (light blue one).

Fender Stratocaster SSS.

Fuzz Face is Vol 10 and Fuzz 8.5-9.00

into the SV20h.

Sometimes when I am going from clean to fuzz the sound cuts out for a split second on the neck single coil 1 position.

If I dial 10 it seems to have the biggest gap. It usually doesn't sound good when it hits and so I usually back up a bit to 9.5 and that's the fuzz blooming fully.

What's the sound cutting out about?

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
One of my clients was on the "Experience Hendrix" tour a few years back before Mitch Mitchell passed. He had a Plexi, 4x12 cab with my H55's, Strat/Vox Wah/Fuzz Face/flanger/echo and he was pretty damn close to the BOG tone. And he had a curly cable, too, I believe. Can't find his name ATM, but he sent me a YT video clip of him playing Machine Gun. It sounded pretty damn close to BOG.