Worth repairing?

• Thread starter KTMKenny
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KTMKenny

Reaction score
Hi. New here. 1st post. After a bit of advice on how to proceed.

I bought this head 30 years ago. Broken. 50 quid.
It was blowing 1 amp fuses and did not sound right. I was told it was the transformer.
I ended up in a friend's garage for the last 30 years and lost the valves.

Do you think something like this is worth repairing? It's in a fairly sorry looking state. Date code is K so the year 1978 was it's birthday .

Personally, I don't gig, I bash around a bit on an acoustic and practice amp. But it would look cool in my house, so I wanna get it looking nice and working. It's a bit of my rock history. IMG_20240915_162132.jpgIMG_20240915_213649.jpgIMG_20240915_162113.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
Totally - get that bad boy back in business! The filter caps are bulging, it needs some valves and ... well, the transformer(s) remain(s) to be determined. Certainly worth it, though.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi. New here. 1st post. After a bit of advice on how to proceed.

I bought this head 30 years ago. Broken. 50 quid.
It was blowing 1 amp fuses and did not sound right. I was told it was the transformer.
I ended up in a friend's garage for the last 30 years and somehow lost the glass valves.

Do you think something like this is worth repairing? It's in a fairly sorry looking state. Date code is K so the year 1978 was it's birthday .

Personally, I don't gig, I bash around a bit on an acoustic and practice amp. But it would look cool in my house, so I wanna get it looking nice and working. It's a bit of my rock history. View attachment 157554View attachment 157556View attachment 157555
I'll play devils advocate here. Is it worth fixing? Yes. Is it worth you fixing? Maybe, maybe not. It's a lot of amp for a guy that just plays acoustic. You'll need several hundred to repair, you'll need several hundred to get a proper cab, you'll need several hundred to get an attenuator or ppimv installed, you're in now well over a thousand dollars getting it operational, so now you gotta start shopping for an electric guitar of unknown price. Unless you have cash to spare for such a project and don't mind spending it on this, you may do better selling it as is for $500, not a bad return on you 50 quid! :yesway:

david_clough

Reaction score
I'm in England, fix stuff like this - as for would I take on this amp head as a repair even for myself even if it was a free gift to me?... There's no glass and the caps could well need renewing, and who knows what condition the transformers are in... so what's salvageable? the wood and metal work everything else is a £££ risk.
I have no idea if this model of amp is desirable, but it will probably be rebuilt with many new parts.

Maybe for the time being make it look good and keep for decoration.

geddy

Reaction score
Personally I'd get it off to the factory for an estimate since you appear to be UK. They don't charge much to collect and return and their prices are very good. If you live close, take it in and get the tour while you're there.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're easily repairable for those that have the right tools and equipment. If it's a question of whether or not it's worth it, then respectfully, it is likely beyond your means.

Without diagnosing anything I see about $309 worth of parts needed to have it operational, tubes and electrolytic capacitors. That's a guess without looking on the inside. Of course then there would be the bench fee of the technician and likely two hours worth of work if there is nothing else wrong with it. A cap job can be done quickly but most techs will take their time and check over a lot of other things like cleaning pots and sockets.

Transformer failures seem to always be misdiagnosed. 99 out of 100 times someone will claim a transformer has failed but they'll do ZERO testing to verify that was the issue and just fire the parts cannon at the amp until it works again. It's disgusting.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes, either get it repaired and get a good price for it or sell it as is to someone who wants to take on the project like me.

ANY JMP era Marshall is worth fixing.

KTMKenny

Reaction score
Story so far.
It's going to a tech here in Ireland on Wednesday. I sent him a pic.

Without getting it open, it needs a complete set of 8 tubes and he reckons at least 2 caps. Plus labour.
So I'm looking at around the 500 euro mark. Without getting to the route problem. But he says it's still worth it. I have the means, but I also have a wife. That could be a problem ..

He also says a bad tube could have been the original problem. I don't expect to be that lucky though. A friend suggested I remove the bright cap as that's what Angus and Malcolm did to their super leads. Im undedicated on that, as I wouldn't be playing loud. In fact, I would probably sell and buy the new Spark practice amp.

StingRay85

Reaction score
I honestly believe you're better of selling it to someone who can fix it himself. Even without any guarantee on the transformers, you can still get at least 500 for it. Even the head shell is worth at least 250. You might be looking at a bill of 600-700+ if the PT is also toasted

david_clough

Reaction score
Are you serious?
You have no idea if a '78 JMP MKII Super Lead is desirable?
:) it's just another valve amp to me. Maybe I'm past worshiping... a valve amp! I like things like transformer design.
I had a '74 mini Moog in to fix, upon opening the flight case I just gawped at it for 10 mins, got stuck in, sorted it, tested it and by then it had lost all it's mojo/kudos, it's just an old synth. I did get excited after fixing a LinnDrum. :)

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:) it's just another valve amp to me. Maybe I'm past worshiping... a valve amp! I like things like transformer design.
I had a '74 mini Moog in to fix, upon opening the flight case I just gawped at it for 10 mins, got stuck in, sorted it, tested it and by then it had lost all it's mojo/kudos, it's just an old synth. I did get excited after fixing a LinnDrum. :)
I wasn't referring to amp worshiping.
I like my amps for what they are, amps.

Fully functional, that amp is worth thousands of dollars.
Repair cost may be unknown without an inspection, so your suggestion was to make it a shelf decoration?
I find that to be ridiculous advice - bordering on just plain stupid.

david_clough

Reaction score
Repair cost may be unknown without an inspection, so your suggestion was to make it a shelf decoration?
I find that to be ridiculous advice - bordering on just plain stupid.
Each to their own :) notice how I don't insult you ;) Be nice even if you don't understand, it's better to say nothing.