would you get a Jet City JCA20H @ good price

• Thread starter joe_cpwe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I'm seeing a JCA20H (head) for $225. Jet City's don't come up for sale locally very often any more and I've been wanting to try one and possibly try modding it. I also see JC combos usually, not heads, which is a space saver. I don't need another combo.
This thing isn't mint cosmetically so the price seems pretty fair.

I'd prefer the JCA22H with a second channel and effect loop...but...this one is here, now, and local and I never see the 22H's around here anyway.

FWIW, I already have too much gear and have been wanting to unload a few things, so this is going the wrong direction.

Who's used Jet City and how do/did you like it?
Is the 22 or any other model worth spending a lot more or should I take a chance on this thing or just keep saving my cash for a Marshall SC or Friedman...

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
what friedman you looking at?
Runt 20 or maybe a JJ Junior. I really don't need a big amp. 20-30 watters all seem plenty loud enough for me these days.

This really isn't about comparing an used $200 amp to a $1,100- 1,300 used amp...it's more about whether a single channel JCA20H is worth getting these days vs the JCA22 ...or just skipping it all together to get something else some day.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Runt 20 or maybe a JJ Junior. I really don't need a big amp. 20-30 watters all seem plenty loud enough for me these days.

This really isn't about comparing an used $200 amp to a $1,100- 1,300 used amp...it's more about whether a single channel JCA20H is worth getting these days vs the JCA22 ...or just skipping it all together to get something else some day.

oh i wasnt comparing at all. for $200 its a cool amp.
just wanted to see what Friedmans you were looking at is all.
very same 2 im interested in as well. :cheers:

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
The guy behind Epic Amplification, who were the main mod kit supplier and partnered with the reborn USA made Jet City has just shut down his store to take an extended break.
I have the little 5 watt, which despite most of the demos sucking I have it sounding awesome with the right combo of boost and eq (and a saturation mod too).
Their loops can be a bit funny. The one on mine is super loud like it's made for line level, I've heard people having issues with other models too. Very solidly built otherwise with servicable (and moddable) PCB, plywood shells and cabs.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
The guy behind Epic Amplification, who were the main mod kit supplier and partnered with the reborn USA made Jet City has just shut down his store to take an extended break.
I have the little 5 watt, which despite most of the demos sucking I have it sounding awesome with the right combo of boost and eq (and a saturation mod too).
Their loops can be a bit funny. The one on mine is super loud like it's made for line level, I've heard people having issues with other models too. Very solidly built otherwise with servicable (and moddable) PCB, plywood shells and cabs.
Thanks for that info. I bought it today. The little I've played it, its not bad at all, although trying a cple mods would be great.

I got it for $200. Ok price considering the scratched control plate and wierd wooden baffle. Electronically it's stock except for the 12Ax7s, which were upgraded to Svetlana.

20210904_231203_sm.jpg

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I had a jca20h for a while it was ‘ok’ at best , absolutely no comparison to my Runt 50 which is a beast of an amp .
Yeah, I don't suspect a stock JCA would compare well with a 50 watt Runt. I don't even think any mod I could do on the JCA will compare to a Runt but I'm hoping to have some fun messing around with it. Right now the JCA is stock, and like you said, it's ok, but is lacking.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't suspect a stock JCA would compare well with a 50 watt Runt. I don't even think any mod I could do on the JCA will compare to a Runt but I'm hoping to have some fun messing around with it. Right now the JCA is stock, and like you said, it's ok, but is lacking.

hard to beat for what you have in to though

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
There’s some YT vids where they upgraded the trannies and added choke and it made a big difference.

At 200 bucks it’s a no brainer.

shooto

Reaction score
Would I get a JCA 20?..yes!...without a doubt or regret

I have a 22H and it’s awesome...totally gigable and killer sounding, takes pedals really well, really good FX loop and if the mood strikes you, very easy to mod

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I have a few JCA22H's that I've done some Epic mods to. They're killer amps! Very giggable.
No mods on mine yet but I want to. Epic is shutdown so there's less options and instruction. I've been online gathering info, and there's a lot to sort thru.